Muscle cars

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
It sounds like OP has $10-20k to spend guys... Not $40-50k+.

I like the pre-82 Corvettes myself. No matter what you get you'll want a mechanic to check it out with you.
This is correct. Don't want to spend over 15k

Reactions: cstrunk

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does it need to be mint condition or can a few things be off? Know a guy who messed up the spray paint on a 70 charger that cut the value hard but was in good shape.

• Informative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
1966 Pontiac 2+2 with a 421 3 duece.

Didn't have one......but years ago knew someone who did and for a tank it seemed it could outrun anything once it was rolling.

Edit: Just saw your limit in spending. Anyway, good luck in finding what you want.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You know what you don't see many of, these days? Plymouth Prowlers.
OP should zig, while everyone else zags, and pick up one of those babies. I feel like you could probably get one pretty cheap.

1999-plymouth-prowler-base-2dr-convertible.jpg

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It sounds like OP has $10-20k to spend guys... Not $40-50k+.

I like the pre-82 Corvettes myself. No matter what you get you'll want a mechanic to check it out with you.
Depending on the engine and condition of the vehicle, you could not come close to buying a mustang or GTO anywhere near that price.

Get a good idea of the price of late 60's, early 70's muscle cars watch one of the Mecum actions.

Cycloneracer

Mar 17, 2014
SW Iowa
I've been thinking of getting something fun to drive (though may wait a bit to see if used car prices drop). I'm not mechanically skilled. Of these cars and era of that car, which is generally the best mechanically speaking?

90's Firebird
90's Camaro
Late 90's-2000's Mustang
80's Corvette
To answer the original question and your budget. Don’t buy a vette. Unless you get an old one with a carburetor. Pre ‘82 ‘84-‘97 are electrical nightmares and junk in your budget.

Your other choices are all the same. Preference on body style is the only difference. Can probably get a better car than a vette for the money.

I like big cars so a Camaro or firebird would be my choice as I think the Mustangs are a bit small. All 3 good cars and fun to drive.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
my wife wants a 68 Chevelle black

I like plymouth baracuda
Road runner has always been one of my favorites as well.
OP should zig, while everyone else zags, and pick up one of those babies. I feel like you could probably get one pretty cheap.

There's one in Humboldt.

Reactions: NWICY and isufbcurt

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Those are the ultimate At Least You Tried moment for Detroit in the last 30 or so years. They look amazing but are gutless wonders.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
What about a brand spanking new Dodge Charger Hellcat Red Eye? Nothing says "muscle" more than being to hand over that big of a wad of bills to Karl Auto in Marshalltown...

redeye.jpg

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
What about a brand spanking new Dodge Charger Hellcat Red Eye? Nothing says "muscle" more than being to hand over that big of a wad of bills to Karl Auto in Marshalltown...

View attachment 100105
There are just so many Chargers on the road. To me, at least a portion of the appeal of a muscle/sports car is the "Hey, look at that!" factor, which, for me anyway, is a direct extension of my eight year old self, gawking at everything that looked cooler than the family station wagon.

And while the Charger is a sharp looking car, they're so ubiquitous that the wow factor is diminished to a degree.

No offense to anyone who has one. Dodge clearly has found a healthy demand for them.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

bpmdu

Jun 28, 2006
Title of the topic threw me off a bit since I expected you were asking about classic cars. Of that group I'd go for the newest Mustang GT w a manual trans you can afford (probably 2006-2008)

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Those are the ultimate At Least You Tried moment for Detroit in the last 30 or so years. They look amazing but are gutless wonders.

I'd like to pick one up while they are still cheap and hold until I could find the money to stuff a Hellcat Redeye drivetrain in it. I think it's been done, so while not impossible, not cheap.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
There are just so many Chargers on the road. To me, at least a portion of the appeal of a muscle/sports car is the "Hey, look at that!" factor, which, for me anyway, is a direct extension of my eight year old self, gawking at everything that looked cooler than the family station wagon.

And while the Charger is a sharp looking car, they're so ubiquitous that the wow factor is diminished to a degree.

No offense to anyone who has one. Dodge clearly has found a healthy demand for them.
Don't disagree regarding the number of Chargers on the road. But not many of them are Hellcat Redeye's.