Mulling over couple of young linebackers . . .

Discussion in 'Football' started by CyValley, Mar 10, 2017.

1. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Nothing big here, just thinking out loud after reading a couple of spring practice position outlook stories at cyclones.com.

Noticed Bobby McMillen in the 2016 spring game, thought he had power and some speed, hope he comes back well from his season-ending knee injury in the fall. I'll be spying him a bit this spring game.

And Marcel Spears:
    http://www.cyclones.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9108

He's got a Jeremiah George-built look about him. The Dallas Cowboys list George at 5-11, 218, and Spears is listed at 6-1, 222 (old numbers). Is Spears ready to make a move? Another Cyclone to keep an eye on during the spring game, seems to me.

Both are sophomores-to-be.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. CyBlitz

CyBlitz Active Member

May 9, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised if they get 3-4 LB in the next class. McMillan and Sutton could be a good combo and hopefully Spears and spreen can provide depth. Anyone hear anything about walk-on LB

3. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    I assume this kid is?:

http://www.cyclones.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9104

Tough luck story from his bio. Maybe we got a steal.

I wouldn't be shocked if our true freshmen linebackers see playing time on special teams this fall. Kinda like how Knott & Klein's careers started off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CyValley

CyValley Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Yeah, with his awards and stats, he looks promising. Another kid to try to get an eye on during the spring game.

OK, with all the youthful LBers on the squad (including Vance and Hummel), maybe there's a reason we didn't appear to pursue a JC LBer; coaches like what they see?

5. BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Superintendent
    Des Moines
    Vance is going to be awesome. Book it. Hummel is also a great athlete. Im very excited about our future linebackers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    I think they also feel like we have the necessary numbers at this point; keep in mind the style of defense we're running doesn't really rely on the traditional format of one middle and two outside LBs. Run support and coverage duties are now being shared with the hybrid "Leo" & "Star" positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CyFy

CyFy Active Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Male
    Huxley
    I'm guessing they only get 2 LBs this next class as long as they can get the ones they want. Correct me if I'm wrong but We don't actually lose any LBs next year to graduation now that mills left.

2 a class is a pretty good number. 2 redshirting and 8 active for 2 spots is about right

8. harimad

harimad Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Female
    IT Systems Architect
    Illinois
    I'm pulling hard for McMillen. He's from the next town over (Naperville, IL) and I'd love to see him come back and contribute this year.

• Like Like x 1