Mt. Rushmore of ISU Athletics

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
In an unrelated thread, I argued that Jamie Pollard would be on the Mt. Rushmore of ISU Athletics. Got me thinking. Who would be the other three? My thoughts...

Jamie Pollard
Johnny Orr (not a great record, but great man)
Cael

Who else? I cannot say Harold Nichols or the Roland Rocket because they pre-dated me. Danny Harris is not known. Hmmm. Thoughts? Maybe it is an older guy that deserves the honor.

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think to be on a 'mount rushmore' one would need to have long-term legacies. off the top of my head these come to mind:

Jamie Pollard
Johnny Orr
Dan McCarney

Both Orr and McCarney are kind of the 'founders' of the modern era of basketball and football, respectively. Jamie has been the 'great builder' at ISU. All 3 have, or will have, large legacies.

I think Matt Campbell has the potential to be the 4th if he sticks around awhile.

• Dumb
Reactions: mynameisjonas

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
My four:
Jack Trice, Johnny Orr, JP, and Coach Mac...if there was a 5th spot, Pete Taylor would be there. He would’ve loved to see this past football season. Can you imagine his play-by-play when Dicker the kicker missed the field goal this year in the Texas game?!

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Good call. Jack Trice.

But I still think Cael over Mac.
Its a tough call...Cael was the GOAT. I just wish he had stayed.

I edited my earlier post to include Pete...no way we can have this discussion without the greatest announcer of all time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This isn't the right monument for Trice. Jack was a talented athlete, but football was merely the backdrop of his accomplishments.

John G. "Jack" Trice should be on the Mt. Rushmore of Iowa State University as a whole. Joining Jack I'd add,
John Vincent Atanasoff
George Washington Carver
And ofcourse Pete Taylor.

Reactions: Lexclone

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
I have to agree that Sanderson and Gable are a must. Be tough to come up with just 2 more.
Athletes:

Cael
Trice
Gable
Fred

Coaches:

McCarney
Orr
Fennelly
Campbell

Academics:

Carver
Atanassoff
Berry
Geoffroy

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I have to agree that Sanderson and Gable are a must. Be tough to come up with just 2 more.

This happened before my time, but I've heard her brought up before

Not sure other ISU athletes can top this:

"El Moutawakel was born in Casablanca, and was studying at Iowa State University[4] when she won her Olympic title, which came as a surprise in her home country. King Hassan II of Morocco telephoned her to give his congratulations, and he declared that all girls born the day of her victory were to be named in her honor."

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
This happened before my time, but I've heard her brought up before

Not sure other ISU athletes can top this:

I didn’t think about her, but she would definitely be a solid argument.

"El Moutawakel was born in Casablanca, and was studying at Iowa State University[4] when she won her Olympic title, which came as a surprise in her home country. King Hassan II of Morocco telephoned her to give his congratulations, and he declared that all girls born the day of her victory were to be named in her honor."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If doing athletes and putting one for BB, I don’t think it’s Fred. You have Stevens who started the whole momentum with Hilton magic, grayer who was the most dominant scorer we had, Fizer and tinsley has the two best players.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If doing athletes and putting one for BB, I don’t think it’s Fred. You have Stevens who started the whole momentum with Hilton magic, grayer who was the most dominant scorer we had, Fizer and tinsley has the two best players.

Certainly an argument for a number of others. I put Fred b/c he had a little extra meaning to ISU fans with the hometown Ames connection, etc. And came back to coach.

Had the 2000 squad gone all the way I think Fizer or Tinsley would've been a lock