MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Why in the hell would he take Iowa State? Sure it’s a nice school with a rabid fan base (kind of like Cleve?) but has pretty much been a career ender (at the highest levels) for the previous 4 coaches (Does Chizik even count?). This program was a hot garbage mess when he took it over.
Because he wasn’t the candidate he is now, or will be in the future.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Why in the hell would he take Iowa State? Sure it’s a nice school with a rabid fan base (kind of like Cleve?) but has pretty much been a career ender (at the highest levels) for the previous 4 coaches (Does Chizik even count?). This program was a hot garbage mess when he took it over.

I get your point...but the one thing he knew he would get in Ames was time! No one gets that in the NFL! A hire like Campbell in the NFL (college coach, young, no direct strong ties) would get two years to show major progress...or he would be handed a check to leave! Pollard was going to give him time to lay the foundation and then build upon it. Campbell knew that when he sought out the Iowa State job!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get your point...but the one thing he knew he would get in Ames was time! No one gets that in the NFL! A hire like Campbell in the NFL (college coach, young, no direct strong ties) would get two years to show major progress...or he would be handed a check to leave! Pollard was going to give him time to lay the foundation and then build upon it. Campbell knew that when he sought out the Iowa State job!

Thats the thing though time works both ways. I don’t think he’s going anywhere and I think he’s an ultra genuine guy. But when/if the time comes and Cleveland comes open, and CMC is “their guy”, it may be the only time to take that shot. The Patriots weren’t always the PATRIOTS that they are today. One home run hire and any team could be the next Patriots and then CMC’s window for his hometown job is gone.

Reactions: cyfanatic

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not sure how ISU vs MSU is a lateral move. MSU is in a talent rich region and they have some history and recent success. ISU is headed in the right direction but isn't at the same level as Michigan State.

It's less a question about how much a step up it is. The point is Campbell doesn't need to take a step between ISU and a top 10 program if he decides he wants to leave. If he wants to do so in the next couple of years he's got a better chance of being successful and winning his conference at ISU than he does MSU, and most definitely that Arkansas dumpster fire. Campbell is good enough that his next stop can be an absolute destination job, and he doesn't have to make an intermediate stop to get there.

As for the two specific programs, Arkansas has been to one sugar bowl in 30 years, and the have sucked horribly for a long time now, and their recruiting ties to DFW and East Texas are absolutely dead now.

Prior to Dantonio, MSU had one 10 win season since the 60s. That happened under Saban. That isn't an easy place to win by any means. By the time Campbell matches Saban's games at MSU, Campbell will likely have a better winning % at ISU than Saban did at MSU.

MSU is going to learn the hard way what a great job Dantonio did, like him or hate him. In the entire history of their program, Saban won 10 games once, they had a 10 win season in the 60s, and Dantonio has had 10+ wins six times. I get they play an extra game or two, but the history of MSU football pre-Dantonio (including the Saban years) is largely a bunch of 4-6 win seasons.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Thats the thing though time works both ways. I don’t think he’s going anywhere and I think he’s an ultra genuine guy. But when/if the time comes and Cleveland comes open, and CMC is “their guy”, it may be the only time to take that shot. The Patriots weren’t always the PATRIOTS that they are today. One home run hire and any team could be the next Patriots and then CMC’s window for his hometown job is gone.

I agree with the idea that "when/if the time comes"...he might only get one chance to pursue that job in his life so it won't be an easy decision for sure...if that happens. Belicek was in a different situation though than Campbell would be in...a long-time highly respected NFL assistant who actually served as an NFL HC before the Pats hired him. But again, you are dead right about the one chance thing...it would be a tough decision for anyone.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I love Campbell and hope he stays forever. I am sure he has aspirations of being in the NFL (and would probably be successful because that is just who he is) but he just seems like a much better fit for the college game. His strengths are recruiting and program/culture building in my opinion.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley

CMC has addressed this more than once. It's not the typical "well it was a step into the P5 from mid-major, a raise, etc" He talked about seeing Iowa State as a "sleeping giant" that he thought he could figure out how to unleash

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
It's really difficult for some people to understand that Campbell actually wants to be here. It takes more than just a casual thought to come to that conclusion, and people detached from this program don't generally want to put a lot of effort into thinking about Iowa State. Iowa State has historically sucked + Matt Campbell's a damn good coach + generally good coaches leave "stepping stone" programs = Campbell on every list from the national media and linked to a ton of rumors. It takes no effort to come to that conclusion. It's lazy. When Campbell does move on to his next job, it won't be because he saw ISU as a stepping stone, he saw it as something he could build. I don't think he leaves until he feels his job is done.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
CMC has addressed this more than once. It's not the typical "well it was a step into the P5 from mid-major, a raise, etc" He talked about seeing Iowa State as a "sleeping giant" that he thought he could figure out how to unleash

Right, he’s an alpha football coach that doesn’t have a blemish on his record at this time. You think he doesn’t think the same way about the jump from CFB to the NFL and the Brownies?

• Funny
Reactions: CarolinaCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
FSU is easily a top 10 job. MSU isn't in the same conversation as Arkansas. Yea, they're having issues this year but still will make a bowl game if they beat Rutgers & Maryland. They have a really young football team, especially on offense.

Maybe 10 years ago, schools like FSU, Miami and VT all built their program in a weak Big East where they had a huge $$ advantage against the other schools, who at the time were bball schools.

When they initially went to the ACC, it was the exact same situation. Expansion and lucrative TV contracts put the other 13 schools in the ACC on a level playing field, many started to catch up with them in terms of program amenities and became more competitive. It's a lot like Nebraska's decline going from big 8 to big 12. It's been a slow change but the fall off of the cliff is here, they'll never be the FSU of the Bowden days.

Fisher jumping to A&M speaks volumes about where FSU is headed, he saw this coming and swung it in to a pretty nice upgrade for him. The only thing FSU has on A&M is more recent success, other than that, when you compare fan support, donor money, facilities, recruiting etc...A&M > FSU and A&M isn't a top 10 job.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Maybe 10 years ago, schools like FSU, Miami and VT all built their program in a weak Big East where they had a huge $$ advantage against the other schools, who at the time were bball schools.

When they initially went to the ACC, it was the exact same situation. Expansion and lucrative TV contracts put the other 13 schools in the ACC on a level playing field, many started to catch up with them in terms of program amenities and became more competitive. It's a lot like Nebraska's decline going from big 8 to big 12. It's been a slow change but the fall off of the cliff is here, they'll never be the FSU of the Bowden days.

Fisher jumping to A&M speaks volumes about where FSU is headed, he saw this coming and swung it in to a pretty nice upgrade for him. The only thing FSU has on A&M is more recent success, other than that, when you compare fan support, donor money, facilities, recruiting etc...A&M > FSU and A&M isn't a top 10 job.

FSU was already a top program when they were independent, before joining the ACC. Bobby Bowden built them from the ground up.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
FSU was already a top program when they were independent, before joining the ACC. Bobby Bowden built them from the ground up.

You're right, I forget they were in the ACC long before those other schools but look who they were beating when they were indy...Bowden built them in the Bill Snyder model, my point still stands.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
USC
LSU
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Clemson

There's a dozen right there that I think are better than FSU and that's before even considering fringe teams like Auburn, Oregon, Wisconsin.

Their record right now has no bearing on the potential of the program. Florida State has won multiple national championships since the 90’s and has likely put more players into the NFL than most of the teams on that list. They won a national championship fairly recently 2013 and were in the playoff in ‘14.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
You're right, I forget they were in the ACC long before those other schools but look who they were beating when they were indy...Bowden built them in the Bill Snyder model, my point still stands.

They’ve won 3 national titles since joining the ACC.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
They’ve won 3 national titles since joining the ACC.

In 93, 99 and 2013, only once in since the change I referenced (ACC expansion was in 2001). They went 8 years w/o a conference championship from 05-13. Prior to expansion ,they won the league every year from 92-00. They were still the a dominant team the years right after expansion, winning the ACC 3/4 times but after a few years, the other schools caught up. It's exactly like Nebraska, they didn't fall overnight but eventually, they lost their advantages and found themselves on a much more level playing field.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
FSU is easily a top 10 job. MSU isn't in the same conversation as Arkansas. Yea, they're having issues this year but still will make a bowl game if they beat Rutgers & Maryland. They have a really young football team, especially on offense.

The ACC is a garbage football conference outside of Clemson. It's so garbage that even though Clemson is undefeated people still question their spot in the playoff because none of the conference teams they've played are any good. That includes FSU. Warrick Dunn ain't walking through that door.

heavymetalCY

Jul 30, 2019
Didn't read through the entire thread... but there are exactly 3 jobs that would worry me if they were to open up. Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame. CMC could very well go somewhere else if they backup a truck load of money, but those are the only places that would have me worried from the jump.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
The ACC is a garbage football conference outside of Clemson. It's so garbage that even though Clemson is undefeated people still question their spot in the playoff because none of the conference teams they've played are any good. That includes FSU. Warrick Dunn ain't walking through that door.

There’s a lot of talent in the ACC. Dunn was a great player but they’ve had two Heisman winners since he left campus.

CWtoXGc.jpg