Moving to Des Moines

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mtowncyclone13, Mar 25, 2019.

1. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Just a Man in the Middle
    SuperFanatic

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +24,615 / 644 / -22
    You have a B-Bops, a Culvers and an IMAX theater in your house!?

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Ratings:
    +2,202 / 167 / -20
    Think about the people in your life that are dual income. Now think about where they work in the metro. Also think about how many times they've changed job locations. In the 14 years of living at this same location, I've worked at the same company but 6 different building in 3 different parts of town. My wife has worked at two different companies in 4 different towns/locations. Plus I work 2 days a week from home. I wouldn't buy a house based on the commute, especially since the commute from anywhere in the metro is fast/easy.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. EnhancedFujita

EnhancedFujita Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Male
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +1,086 / 9 / -0
    This is very true, our first house in Urbandale was a mile from my job and 4 miles from my wife's. Then my office moved downtown, she got a job in West Des Moines. Then I got a job on the southside and she got a job in Ames. Thus we ended up in Johnston, but spend our days about 60 miles from each other.

4. HardcoreClone

HardcoreClone Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2006
    Ratings:
    +465 / 35 / -1
    Anyone here live in Polk City? It is still small but really growing. Just wondering if you think it will always have that smaller town feel? I've been interested in it just due to proximity to the lake, TCI, smaller school district. Close enough to Ankeny for any big box store needs. Close enough to downtown DSM if you work there or head there for dinner/entertainment.

I guess my question also applies to Adel? Seems like their growth was too much too quick? How about Van Meter?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Cyclone06

Cyclone06 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +417 / 75 / -5
    I am convinced that my debt tolerance is much less than most. I have similar thoughts to mtowncyclone13 on the regular. The topic comes up frequently at my house (usually my doing) and we always talk about how much we value the financial comfort we have in place of pushing our limits. I also look forward to the day when I can say I have no mortgage payment, while those hearing me say that think about the 15-20 years they have left.

6. coyoteclone

coyoteclone Active Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +196 / 40 / -6
    Do not live in the City of Des Moines. Ankeny, Altoona, Clive, Grimes, Urbandale, Waukee, West Des Moines. Take your choice.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. jereseib

jereseib Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +3,474 / 723 / -170
    If you are into fishing or boating Polk City would be a paradise. You have Big Creek, Saylorville, and their respective spillways within a short drive.

8. Gossamer

Gossamer Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +875 / 45 / -0
    if you consider that filthy bathtub known as Saylorville Lake a lake, don't. It's absolutely disgusting in every way imaginable.

The rest of the town is wonderful. People, businesses, schools, golf course...but the lake...JFC, it should have a giant urinal cake thrown in it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1,445 / 148 / -0
    #109 capitalcityguy, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    I would never tell anyone not to consider commute or for sure to consider it. People have different priorities. It means a lot to me as well as my wife (although as long as Target, Kohls, and Starbucks are a stone's throw away, she could adapt to anywhere). The problem only arises when it is not considered for those that place a higher value on it in the end. They are unnecessary unhappy about something that in a lot of instances is controllable...i'f they'd made it a priority.

FWIW....my wife and i have been at our same companies for 25 and 23 yrs. Both downtown so I wouldn't' assume everyone will be jumping around like you did. I've also ignored considering jumping ship for this reason as well. I really appreciate working downtown (some don't ), so I've had some intentionality in my career choices there too.

Bottomline: know yourself and what is most important to YOU. Don't just go with the flow only to find out later that you wished you'd made X or Y a priority before settling on neighborhood or home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Three4Cy

Three4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +386 / 10 / -0
    I would not go that far - just because kids are out of daycare, there are still plenty of expenses. They will want to be in various sports/activities that cost money, and the OP stated his kids were going to Catholic school, so there will be the expense of tuition.

11. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +6,202 / 369 / -2
    I love Ankeny and as a FB and MBB season ticket holder, as well as attending many other ISU events I like being closer to Ames. I will admit though, the town is big compared to what I grew up in. If I had to do it all over again, I'd seriously consider Polk City. Still close to Ames, but a smaller town.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 4theCYcle

4theCYcle Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Altoona, IA
    Ratings:
    +471 / 13 / -0

Just like the old commercial states, "We're in debt up to our eyebrows."

Part of it could be luck on timing of when they bought their house too. I'm glad my wife and I aren't looking right now. I had a house in Altoona, sold it and moved over to the west side with her. We both bought our houses in 11/12' when the market was just starting to barely rebound. She got a tremendous deal on it at the time by doing her research. The assessor letter just came back saying it is worth $300K and that's with an unfinished basement. Lot of these houses selling for $350+ nowadays I wouldn't step foot in. We'd be downgrading in space so our plan is to eventually finish the basement.

I'm sure the end all answer is a compilation of such: they make more, they have more debt, timing of when it all started, and luck.

I like Urbandale and see no reason to move. It's in a cookie-cutter neighborhood (not my favorite part), our neighbors are friendly, but I guess you get out of it what you put in. Plenty of options for charities around DSM, you'd probably find quite a few fairly quickly.

I guess my advice would be to continue on with some research. You started off right by asking your fellow fan base, which is trustworthy in my opinion versus a tavern hok's opinion of the metro. We have friends is Ankeny, Johnston, West Des Moines, Waukee, Beaverdale, South side, etc. and it seems each of pros/cons and quirks they like and dislike.

13. AgronAlum

AgronAlum Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,665 / 67 / -0
    For someone that might be making $15-20 an hour, that's creeping close enough to after tax income that it might not be worth spending 40 hrs a week away from home. My wife and I had a lot of back and forth about the cost of having a second child. A sibling of mine dropped to part time and hired a nanny because it was cheaper than going to full time daycare in the Cedar Rapids area. FYI - daycare is significantly more expensive in DSM than it is in the Marshalltown area.

14. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +6,202 / 369 / -2
    Ankeny has St. Lukes, a new Catholic school that just opened last year.

15. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Dec 19, 2008
    Testifying
    Ratings:
    +15,098 / 390 / -1
    Your Adel question. I think the tax abatement gave that town lets just say some interesting growing pains.

16. AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,665 / 67 / -0
    I know it's non denominational but they also have Ankeny Christian Academy too.

17. AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,665 / 67 / -0
    Resale on those tax abated new builds has to be absolutely atrocious when you can get the exact same house brand new with no/reduced taxes. Adel has had that rebate for quite a few years now. I've got a good buddy that's in the process of buying out there right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 4theCYcle

4theCYcle Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Altoona, IA
    Ratings:
    +471 / 13 / -0
    And when you move away from townie and ever go back to townie, nothing changes lol. I do not miss that small town gossip.

19. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    grundy center
    Ratings:
    +7,708 / 496 / -8
    Lots of options on neighborhoods - anyone got a job :)

20. AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,665 / 67 / -0
    True. I guess in my situation my older son just does all his activities through the parks and rec right now. It's 25-30 bucks a sport. I'm sure that will increase dramatically over the years but hopefully, so does our family income.