JMA1125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2014
If you’re going the Catholic school route then your kids will go to Dowling for HS, which is in West Des Moines. Dowling doesn’t have busses (except for commuter busses between Dowling and a few of the Catholic churches about 20-30 minutes out).

There are several Catholic elementary/middle schools all around the metro. They serve different communities and have different areas of focus (one has Spanish immersion, one focuses on STEM, etc.). Most of them do not offer bussing, which is a big consideration.

In my opinion, if you’re going to do Catholic schools it’s more convenient to live closer to Dowling and send the kids to one of the Catholic elementaries that are close by. There’s one that’s quite close and a few others that are not too far away. Depending on your kids’ activities you’ll find yourself af Dowling for camps, clinics, and other school activities, even for middle schoolers.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I grew up in the west suburbs, then lived in beaverdale after college, then ended up in Johnston in a new build before moving out of state. I really liked Johnston and would move back there if I had to come back to DSM.

My second choice would be West Des Moines but the more “old money” parts of WDM so the area from 35th to 60th street south of Ashworth but north of Mills Civic also staying north and east of JCTC. The newer areas out west are a **** show of a mix of 400k houses with a bunch of giant apartment complexes mixed in.

I would also look at the areas of Cumming that are in the WDM school district if you aren’t concerned about being a bit further out and grabbing a nice big 1/2 acre plus lot.

I grew up in that area of WDM west of Western Hills Elementary and would definitely move back if it didn’t shove me another half hour from work. It’s a fantastic area to raise a family. That being said, I really enjoy my established part of Ankeny.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Thanks. My dream move is to Saint Paul but my wife will not go for that (yesterday she said moving to Saint Paul is a "1 out of 10") so Des Moines is the next logical choice. What we like about where we live now is the sense of community through having a small downtown and being involved in the community. We do not want to be in a place where it's only strip malls without a real sense of local community. Schools are less important because we'd plan to send them to Catholic school.

I'm super excited about the opportunities.

Maybe look at Norwalk, Indianola, Carlisle, Adel, Dallas Center, Bondurant, Polk City. Still not quite suburbs (maybe Norwalk and Bondurant are now??) , but still close enough to work in Des Moines.

bear24

Aug 7, 2018
Just as a heads up that if you move to the area, don't buy a Hubbell home. Just a recommendation :)

Out of curiosity, are there specific problems you have had? I am about 9 months into living in one, had some minor issues but nothing that the warranty period hasn't taken care off. To the OP, we recently moved to Johnston. Same type of situation, haven't regretted moving for second.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Out of curiosity, are there specific problems you have had? I am about 9 months into living in one, had some minor issues but nothing that the warranty period hasn't taken care off. To the OP, we recently moved to Johnston. Same type of situation, haven't regretted moving for second.
Ive lived in a Hubbell home in Johnston for 7 years now, no big complaints from me.

Reactions: aauummm

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Thanks. My dream move is to Saint Paul but my wife will not go for that (yesterday she said moving to Saint Paul is a "1 out of 10") so Des Moines is the next logical choice. What we like about where we live now is the sense of community through having a small downtown and being involved in the community. We do not want to be in a place where it's only strip malls without a real sense of local community. Schools are less important because we'd plan to send them to Catholic school.

I'm super excited about the opportunities.

https://www.dmdiocese.org/catholic-schools/find-a-school-near-you

Living in Ankeny, Bondurant, Norwalk, Adel, Carlise, Dallas Center, Altoona probably isn't going to make a lot of sense with kids in Catholic schools.

If you truly want a neighborhood feel and being close to a Catholic school, Holy Trinity in Beaverdale is going to give you that feel.

St. Francis and Sacred Heart in WDM are not anywhere close to what you want.

As others have mentioned, once your kids get involved in activities in the catholic schools, everything revolves around Dowling. The closer you can get to Dowling the better.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009

Not me specifically but with past clients I have seen several. Nothing to the point of catastrophic I guess, but more of the fact there is a lot of cheap material used due to the large amount of cookie cutter homes they do with their volume. Things such as trim, cabinets etc having to be replaced within months of moving in. That could happen with others obviously as well but in my experience it was mostly Hubbell and just some stuff you wouldn't want or expect after buying a new home.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
https://www.dmdiocese.org/catholic-schools/find-a-school-near-you

Living in Ankeny, Bondurant, Norwalk, Adel, Carlise, Dallas Center, Altoona probably isn't going to make a lot of sense with kids in Catholic schools.

If you truly want a neighborhood feel and being close to a Catholic school, Holy Trinity in Beaverdale is going to give you that feel.

St. Francis and Sacred Heart in WDM are not anywhere close to what you want.

As others have mentioned, once your kids get involved in activities in the catholic schools, everything revolves around Dowling. The closer you can get to Dowling the better.

I disagree with your take on Sacred Heart. That is a pretty tight knit community. I do see where you are coming from to a certain degree since there are a lot f families that go to that school that don't necessarily live supper close to the school. However, those families are all in between activities and youth sports.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
We made the move from the Twin Cities to Des Moines a little over 3 years ago. Our oldest kid was getting close to starting school so wanted to make the move first.

We waited until I had a job lined up, my wife just had to make a phone call for hers so that didn't matter. I have also made a move before having a job lined up but that was before kids and was renting an apartment.

We ended up in Urbandale but was really just looking for something on the west side for a location close to our jobs. Any suburb would be good, just depends on how far you want to drive for work/school.

• Agree
Reactions: chadly82

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Amazing how the major metro areas (and Des Moines in particular) are just sucking up all the population and economic activity in the state. Looks like OP is living in Marshalltown, which is not exactly a small town by Iowa standards, too, compared to many others.

Urbanization is striking everywhere.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Amazing how the major metro areas (and Des Moines in particular) are just sucking up all the population and economic activity in the state. Looks like OP is living in Marshalltown, which is not exactly a small town by Iowa standards, too, compared to many others.

Urbanization is striking everywhere.

I moved back to the midwest after being gone for about 15 years.

Maybe my perspective changed in that time, but so many midwest towns I used to travel through are completely dead. It's very very odd to see

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Maybe my perspective changed in that time, but so many midwest towns I used to travel through are completely dead. It's very very odd to see

I moved to Boston for about 1.5 years (2011 and 2012, had a lot of fun at the football game in Hartford the fall after I left) and then down to Washington, DC.

I come back a few times a year, either for games, family, and I used to have a sales territory that covers Iowa and most of its immediate neighbors, so there was a lot of driving up and down the various Interstates and state highways and seeing it all.

There seems to be a population of viability -- if you are below it, you begin a downward spiral, and if you are above it, you can hold on and grow. Not much in the middle.

That line seems to be increasing over time, too. Unless you are one of those big cities or can convert into a bedroom community for the same, you are basically screwed.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I grew up in NW IA and this is 100% accurate. My home town relied on the farming community to support it and as the family farms went away the much needed commerce dried up. As a kid it was a very well kept town but now the only reason people live there is because of cheap housing and it's a 10-15 minute drive to various manufacturing and meat processing facilities. There is no sense of community pride left and it's amazing the number of houses that are literally falling apart. It's actually pretty sad when I look back to what town was like as a kid.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack