Moving to Chicago

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Unless you've got the cheddar to send the kiddos to private school I'm afraid pretty much anywhere in the actual city will be out for you guys. Lots of great neighborhoods, we lived in Roscoe Village, Wicker Park, River North when we were there. But that was before kids. Chicago public schools are a cesspool. And if you have kids close to starting school I have to think that's a top priority, if not THE top priority. It's been a while since we lived there and I've no clue what the cost of private schools are, so maybe it's a realistic option for you guys.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Should be plenty of room. Wasn't there like 730 murders last year? In seriousness though, my wife's cousin lives there and we have a great time when we go.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
City or suburbs? They are COMPLETELY different. I've lived in both and am now living in Lakeview. Both has its perks but if you have a family with a couple big dogs, then the suburbs are probably better for you.

Just pick a house that's convenient and close to the metra.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have lived in the north side neighborhoods of Chicago for the last 7ish years and I always think to myself how much I would hate raising a family in the city. (personal opinion though). If I ever start a family, I'm heading for the burbs or moving back to Iowa. Not to mention, the public schools in Chicago are the last place I would want my kids going. So, either go private school or go to the burbs.
Working at the Field Museum seems cool, but I can tell you the commute is going to be a pain in the ass. Unless, you live in the South Loop.
Also, they are rebuilding the I-55 and Lake Shore Drive ramps and at the speed they are going, it won't get finished until 2030. So, if she is commuting from 55 onto LSD, expect that inbound commute during rush hour to take about 30 mins to move 1 mile.
I have no other advice, just tell your wife good luck with the commute and stay away from CPS.

• Informative
Reactions: tejasclone

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

We are definitely suburb people, not city people. And our budget is going to be modest, so we'll probably be a ways out.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Small thread hijack, and then you all can carry on.

Contemplating applying to an internship downtown but outside the Loop (near what appears to be a Northwestern Law and Medicine campus?). Am I correct in reading transit maps that something along the Red Line would be best for housing? or also is it easy to transfer from brown or purple to red? The Metra lines from what I can tell don't give the best access to this area.

Don't overlook the CTA Express buses that run on LakeShore Drive. Some of them run for only a few blocks, then run express to Michigan Avenue (closer than the Red line train). This would allow you to live near the lake, but at much more affordable rates.

• Informative
Reactions: BikeSkiClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

We are definitely suburb people, not city people. And our budget is going to be modest, so we'll probably be a ways out.

Then Metra trains are probably your best option. I'm always amused by the KXNO traffic reports that almost always say "no delays." In Chicago, you need the traffic reports because there are always delays. Some people are able to commute at 4am and 2pm, but everyone else who drives from the suburbs (any suburb) sits in a lot of traffic. Train rides are great for getting extra time to yourself. I used to sit in the back of the upper deck because I was near the end of the line and it had a double seat where I could place by briefcase and work.

The trick is getting from the Metra train station to the Field Museum. I estimate it is at least a mile walk from any train station. Cabs will be $7 to $10. There may be a bus that runs there, but they probably aren't as frequent as the normal commuter bus lines. You may want to check with the Field Museum. Some employers provide shuttle vans from particular train stations. And some employees of companies form their own coop for shuttle vans. However, they usually run at very specific times and don't make many runs. The HR office of the Field Museum should be able to tell you if they have anything like that.

Someone joked about Gary, Indiana. Okay, you probably don't want to live there. But you should check out northwest Indiana. There are tons of people who commute from there. And it isn't any farther than the far north or far northwest suburbs, but it may be more affordable.

However, take the expressway construction projects and plans very seriously if you have any intentions of driving for the commute. Road construction (or even normal traffic congestion patterns) will shape your schedule much more than you can imagine.

• Informative

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Be aware that if you're tired of traffic around Austin, it will likely be as bad or likely worse in Chicago (4x the number of people). If you're not able to live close to the wife's new job, it's going to be a long commute, regardless of being on the road or public transit.

However, I do think you'll find more variety in general in Chicago, regardless of your personal interests. And it will be nice to only be a few hours away by car from family in Iowa. I don't have a lot of personal experience with being in Chicago for long periods of time. Have been there many times as a visitor, either to see friends who used to live there or on my own. But it's just so spread out, I get frustrated with travel times and just the hordes of people everywhere. But it's got to be better than Texas. :D

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I always find these city/advice posts tricky because it really is very dependent on income.

That said, you have three major concerns: wife's commute, your daughter's school, and how much you want to/can spend on a house/apt/condo.

Since your daughter's not yet in school, rent an apt/condo in the south loop and make it easy on your wife. get used to the city and figure out where you want to live longer term based on if your wife likes her job or where you want to send your kid to school.

don't be scared by others about public schools - things have changed in the last 10-20 yrs and there's decent options given how many people stay in the city to raise kids.

as stated by others, no easy way to get to the field museum from the burbs. could easily be 1-2 hr commute each way involving a car, bus, metra, etc. good luck!

• Informative

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
We stayed in Evanston last time we were there, but that's a fairly long commute basically going from one end of Metra to the other.

edit to add: if I were going to live around Chicago, Evanston would be where I'd live. Nice neighborhoods, Northwestern is right there and they have crappy attendance so you can see games for cheap, and the Metra makes the commute easier (though with something like the Field Museum, it would still take a while)

Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
We stayed in Evansville last time we were there, but that's a fairly long commute basically going from one end of Metra to the other.

edit to add: if I were going to live around Chicago, Evansville would be where I'd live. Nice neighborhoods, Northwestern is right there and they have crappy attendance so you can see games for cheap, and the Metra makes the commute easier (though with something like the Field Museum, it would still take a while)

are you talking about Evanston?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Unless you've got the cheddar to send the kiddos to private school I'm afraid pretty much anywhere in the actual city will be out for you guys. Lots of great neighborhoods, we lived in Roscoe Village, Wicker Park, River North when we were there. But that was before kids. Chicago public schools are a cesspool. And if you have kids close to starting school I have to think that's a top priority, if not THE top priority. It's been a while since we lived there and I've no clue what the cost of private schools are, so maybe it's a realistic option for you guys.

I have to agree with Gonzo. If you're putting kids in school, you need to be looking at the suburbs. Naperville is a great town and has quick access to the Metra express trains to the city every morning.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Every time you post, I'm reminded of Jeff Goldblum riding along in a jeep, saying "Th at.. that right there... that's chaos theory."

Chaotic? I see you did not recommend the OP to move to Washington Park...but Naperville. My favorite thing in the world is Social Justice Warriors who live in Glen Ellyn.

I wonder where the Presidential Library will be built? That is not chaotic, but it is random....kind of. We are talking about Chicagolandworld. I hope it is in Naperville. ;-)
There is a 10% chance it will be in Hawaii....I think every month that passes that its location is not announced it is more likely to be in Hawaii. Aloha.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If she wants an easy commute from a train to the field museum, the orange ME metra line has a station right across the street from the FM.
It runs from the southern suburbs (Flossmoor/Homewood area).