Movie you've always like/loved but you see it again and forget how great it is...

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
There's a lot of movies I love and when I see them again a few years later I forget how good they are. But one that stands out that I seem to ALWAYS forget how great it is Michael Mann's 'Heat'. Criminally underseen overall and under-appreciated. And the cast is incredible.

Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Val Kilmer
Jon Voight
Tom Sizemore
Ashley Judd
Amy Brennaman
Mykelti Williamson
Wes Studi
Ted Levine
Natalie Portman
Tom Noonan
Hank Azaria
Diane Venora
Dennis Haysbert
William Fichtner
Danny Trejo
Henry Rollins
Jeremy Piven

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
There's a lot of movies I love and when I see them again a few years later I forget how good they are. But one that stands out that I seem to ALWAYS forget how great it is Michael Mann's 'Heat'. Criminally underseen overall and under-appreciated. And the cast is incredible.

Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino
Val Kilmer
Jon Voight
Tom Sizemore
Ashley Judd
Amy Brennaman
Mykelti Williamson
Wes Studi
Ted Levine
Natalie Portman
Tom Noonan
Hank Azaria
Diane Venora
Dennis Haysbert
William Fichtner
Danny Trejo
Henry Rollins
Jeremy Piven
I probably saw that one at a bad time. Just wasn't in the mood for a long movie or something.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Basically anything by Edgar Wright. His films are great on the first watch, but they might get even better on subsequent watches. Hot Fuzz is a perfect example of a movie that's just airtight. There is nothing wasted in that film. Not a single shot. Not a single word of dialogue doesn't mean something. Every time I watch it, I discover another little wink, or a bit of foreshadowing; something I didn't see before.

Baby Driver is nearly the same way. It wasn't until my second watch before I realized that basically every line Baby says throughout the movie is stolen from something he was watching, something he heard, or something another character said. He regurgitates everything. And don't get me started on how the soundtrack doesn't just fit the action, but drives it, coordinates it, and flows seamlessly with what you're seeing on the screen.

Edgar Wright might be the most visually and audibly talented director working today.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Basically anything by Edgar Wright. His films are great on the first watch, but they might get even better on subsequent watches. Hot Fuzz is a perfect example of a movie that's just airtight. There is nothing wasted in that film. Not a single shot. Not a single word of dialogue doesn't mean something. Every time I watch it, I discover another little wink, or a bit of foreshadowing; something I didn't see before.

Baby Driver is nearly the same way. It wasn't until my second watch before I realized that basically every line Baby says throughout the movie is stolen from something he was watching, something he heard, or something another character said. He regurgitates everything. And don't get me started on how the soundtrack doesn't just fit the action, but drives it, coordinates it, and flows seamlessly with what you're seeing on the screen.

Edgar Wright might be the most visually and audibly talented director working today.
I love looking at a director's total work and seeing how many 'great' movies they had against some stinkers.

Some of the best right now IMO in no order:
  • Fincher (Mank is my least favorite but it's not bad. Fincher's list is insane)
    • Se7en
    • The Game
    • Fight Club
    • Panic Room
    • Zodiac
    • Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    • Social Network
    • Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    • Gone Girl
    • Mank
  • Spielberg (Too many greats to name but he does have some clunkers. But the good outweigh the bad
  • Scorcese (See Spielberg)
  • Michael Mann (His last three are just ok to me but the rest are all-timers)
    • Manhunter
    • Last of the Mohicans
    • Heat
    • The Insider
    • Ali
    • Collateral
    • Miami Vice
    • Public Enemies
    • Black Hat
  • Nolan (Tenet and Insomnia and TDKR are good not great but the rest are fantastic)
    • Memento
    • Insomnia
    • The Prestige
    • Batman Begins
    • Dark Knight
    • Inception
    • Dark Knight Rises
    • Interstellar
    • Dunkirk
    • Tenet

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I love looking at a director's total work and seeing how many 'great' movies they had against some stinkers.

• Fincher (Mank is my least favorite but it's not bad. Fincher's list is insane)
    • Se7en
    • The Game
    • Fight Club
    • Panic Room
    • Zodiac
    • Social Network
    • Gone Girl
    • Mank
  • Spielberg (Too many greats to name but he does have some clunkers. But the good outweigh the bad
    • Manhunter
    • Last of the Mohicans
    • Heat
    • The Insider
    • Ali
    • Collateral
    • Miami Vice
    • Public Enemies
    • Black Hat
  • Nolan (Tenet and Insomnia and TDKR are good not great but the rest are fantastic)
    • Memento
    • Insomnia
    • The Prestige
    • Batman Begins
    • Dark Knight
    • Inception
    • Dark Knight Rises
    • Interstellar
    • Dunkirk
    • Tenet
Gotta add the Coen Bros to that list IMO.

I recently started a new podcast that is kinda similar discussion. They take a director and do one episode on each of their films. Its called Blank Check with Griffin & David. It's been around since 2015 so they've got a lot of episodes. I just listened to the series on John Carpenter which was really good. You could probably argue that Carpenter could be on that list as well.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Gotta add the Coen Bros to that list IMO.

I recently started a new podcast that is kinda similar discussion. They take a director and do one episode on each of their films. Its called Blank Check with Griffin & David. It's been around since 2015 so they've got a lot of episodes. I just listened to the series on John Carpenter which was really good. You could probably argue that Carpenter could be on that list as well.
I love a lot of the Coen movies but I didn’t include because there are a lot I don’t like at all. But the ones I love are incredible. Blood Simple is their first movie and is still a banger.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

• Se7en
    • The Game
    • Fight Club
    • Panic Room
    • Zodiac
    • Social Network
    • Gone Girl
    • Mank
    • Manhunter
    • Last of the Mohicans
    • Heat
    • The Insider
    • Ali
    • Collateral
    • Miami Vice
    • Public Enemies
    • Black Hat
    • Memento
    • Insomnia
    • The Prestige
    • Batman Begins
    • Dark Knight
    • Inception
    • Dark Knight Rises
    • Interstellar
    • Dunkirk
    • Tenet
Excellent call on Fincher. He's easily my favorite director and has an absurdly good batting average. Zodiac, Se7en, Social Network and Gone Girl are all among my very favorite films.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Excellent call on Fincher. He's easily my favorite director and has an absurdly good batting average. Zodiac, Se7en, Social Network and Gone Girl are all among my very favorite films.
Zodiac is honestly his best movie and he even says so. It's a top three movie ever for me.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron