Mount Rushmore of ISU Basketball

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
So what is the feeling on who should be on this?

I would assume due to wrapping up his career, Niang would be one.

Other choices:
Grayer
Fizer
Tinsley
Hoiberg
Gary Thompson

What about Ejim?

Tough choices when you only have room for a total of four!

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
fizer, Thompson, Fred and Niang

Grayer is tough to leave off. Fizer was the most dominant player Isu has ever had and should have won a title. Fred was home town hero and makes it because of his coaching plus playing. Thompson, AA that has been associated with the school for 60 years and Georges,leading the revival of Isu basketball and his off court relationships with Isu. Freak accident broken foot from a title.

Isu has had a lot of close calls the past 15 years.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
fizer, Thompson, Fred and Niang

Grayer is tough to leave off. Fizer was the most dominant player Isu has ever had and should have won a title. Fred was home town hero and makes it because of his coaching plus playing. Thompson, AA that has been associated with the school for 60 years and Georges,leading the revival of Isu basketball and his off court relationships with Isu. Freak accident broken foot from a title.

Isu has had a lot of close calls the past 15 years.

Absolutely no way you can leave Grayer off. Have you seen the career scoring list? He's untouchable on there. That should count for something.

Grayer, Orr, Thompson, Niang

And yes, I am leaving off some great players.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I vote Thompson, Grayer, Stevens, and Niang. You best better not exclude Thompson. He was a 1st team All-American, and really was the only one who could defend Wilt Chamberlain back in the day. Solid..

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I vote Thompson, Grayer, Stevens, and Niang. You best better not exclude Thompson. He was a 1st team All-American, and really was the only one who could defend Wilt Chamberlain back in the day. Solid..

Very true, I change mine

Hornacek, hoiberg, niang, and Thompson

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
First team - Thompson, Orr, Grayer, Hoiberg

Next four would be Fizer, Tinsley, Niang and Stevens

You could make a good argument to swap any of the eight back and forth, but Hornacek doesn't crack the top 8 in my opinion.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
With his heroic and charitable effort this year -- Steve Prohm

Your obsession with running down Prohm every chance you get is getting pretty weird.

As to the OP's question; I would go with Grayer, Hoiberg, Georges, and Thompson, although I think you could switch out Fizer for Thompson and not be wrong.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

Thompson was a 5'10" guard. His teams beat Chamberlin's KU team, but Thompson did not 'guard' Wilt.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
4 great years as a player and 5 years as a coach resurrecting our program, Fred HAS to be on there. No debate.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Grayer and Thompson, easy. The next two get tough.

Hoiberg and Niang can easily make the next two, and I leave off Fizer due to him only being here 3 years. Johnny is a good add, but who do you take off with Hoiberg and Niang.

IMO , Niang > Hoiberg as a player. But Hoiberg means/meant more to the program.

Picking just four is a great talking point.

Ouch.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Gary Thompson.....no question. Now you get the next grouping. Grayer, Fred, Georges. Fizer, Tinsley, That is where it gets tough.

Have to take Grayer as one choice. Fred....hometown boy who was a great player and a great coach. Now it comes down to who do you prefer. If you are talking overall personality, player, and representative of ISU then you would give the nod to Georges. The guy is awesome. Sentimental pick is Georges.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Georges Niang is not on an ISU Mt. Rushmore. Some of you could use a little perspective. I understand that many are giving him love in the moment that is how our culture works. However, he is not better then Grayer, Fizer, Abdul-Aziz at virtually the same position.

Orr, Thompson, Grayer and Hoiberg (Fred's playing and coaching career put him there)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron