Most under rated band of all time

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Underrated bands. Hmm, King Crimson, Gomez and Cake come immediately to mind.

Good call on the Gomez.

If this is possible: I would like to nominate Pink Floyd as the most underrated band. Their story and career is amazing but I feel like they get overshadowed by Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and even by the likes of Queen.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You guys should have titled this thread "Bands Tre4ISU has never heard of, except about 3."

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
You guys should have titled this thread "Bands Tre4ISU has never heard of, except about 3."

Same here. It'd be helpful if people posted a video of their favorite or most representative song. I like threads like this to find new music to listen to.

My contribution is the Dropkick Murphys. I've been loving them lately. I'm sure a lot of people have heard of them but they have at least 3 albums that are just great all the way through.

[video=youtube;lPT6NY31qzs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPT6NY31qzs[/video]

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Built to Spill is an under rated band. Great music, great live shows (I've seen them 3 times) but they never seem to break into the mainstream (Keep it Like a Secret came the closest).

The Dismemberment Plan. Just reunited, but their album Emergency & I is an absolute classic.

Spoon is another great band that has turned out some fantastic music but have a fairly limited following.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
A few that I consider underrated:

311 - One of my all time favorite bands. They got some pub in the mid 90s for "the Blue album" but not well known overall. They've fallen off a bit in recent years but are still putting out albums.

Soul Coughing - Only one top 10 single with Circles in 1998. I remember hearing a couple of their songs in the 90s but forgot about them until recently. Their albums are full of funky jazz influenced alternative rock. Excellent band that is not fully appreciated in my mind.

Interpol - Another US band that's bigger in the UK than in the states. 4 excellent albums full of alternative gold.

Manchester Orchestra - Only one top 10 single with "I've Got Friends". I can listen to the albums Mean Everything to Nothing and Simple Math from start to finish and love every song.

Metric - Canadian Indie band who haven't blown up in the States. Great blend of rock and electronic and Emily Haines has a great voice (and she's pretty cute too).

Silversun Pickups - Some success on the Alt charts but not as well known in the main stream. Huge sound and great live band as well. One of my favorites.

I agree with people who've already said Blur and Supergrass. Both big in the UK but almost no coverage in the US. Most people only know "Song 2" from Blur but they have a hue catalog of awesome music.
Same with Supergrass. Almost unknown in the US but they are a fantastic band.

You been under a rock the last decade? 311 has been everywhere. I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing them a few years back in Chicago, and they were flat out terrible. This from a guy who saw them 1/2 a dozen times in the late 90's. It's time for them to disappear. Hexum is an enormous tool. Still sporting the beater and bead necklace that wasn't even cool in the 90's. They haven't made an even decent album since Grassroots. You're right on with Soul Coughing though. Ruby Vroom and Irresistible Bliss are phenomenal albums. El Oso is ok. Mike Doughty's solo stuff is really, really good too.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Can't recall the name but they did a song called "We Built Sioux City". Awesome.

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis
Cake and Bad Company are my two.

Cake is underrated as just a gimmick band because some of their songs are so goofy - but they're musically tight from top to bottom, and songs like "Rock and Roll Lifestyle" are totally biting and sarcastic without being off-putting.

Bad Company gets lumped in with a lot of hair rock, but they're one of the best bands from the late 70s/early 80s.

Cake put on one helluva show at First Ave in Minneapolis last Thursday.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Cake put on one helluva show at First Ave in Minneapolis last Thursday.

I am ridiculously jealous that you were there. I really, really wanted to go when they were at Grinnell (I want to say?) about eight years ago, but I was traveling for work over their stint. I think they'd be awesome live - and at my favorite venue.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've put on both Motorcade of Generosity and Fashion Nugget this afternoon. Such a unique musical blend: signature guitar tone, trumpet, and Entwhistle-esque bass lines mixed way up high in the mix so they just pop.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've put on both Motorcade of Generosity and Fashion Nugget this afternoon. Such a unique musical blend: signature guitar tone, trumpet, and Entwhistle-esque bass lines mixed way up high in the mix so they just pop.

Yes, yes, and yes. They have one of the most unique sounds out there. Granted, perhaps they don't evolve a ton musically, but they have such a very unique style that they're pretty much the only ones doing what they're doing.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
Before CCR -- and every bit as good -- was Lovin Spoonful. I also think I didn't hear enough Dave Clark Five. The Beatles marketing machine kind of buried them and Dave Clark couldn't handle it. I also could listen to the Mamas and Papas while in any mood. More recent, the Cranberries.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You been under a rock the last decade? 311 has been everywhere. I had the unfortunate pleasure of seeing them a few years back in Chicago, and they were flat out terrible. This from a guy who saw them 1/2 a dozen times in the late 90's. It's time for them to disappear. Hexum is an enormous tool. Still sporting the beater and bead necklace that wasn't even cool in the 90's. They haven't made an even decent album since Grassroots. You're right on with Soul Coughing though. Ruby Vroom and Irresistible Bliss are phenomenal albums. El Oso is ok. Mike Doughty's solo stuff is really, really good too.

311 has been everywhere, and they have their niche of fans, but they were never that big main stream. I agree that they are well past their primes as well. I listen to their first few albums a ton still though.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Cake is a good nomination.

I'm feeling compelled to listen to Creedence and Cake today. Spotify, make it so!

I feel like Soul Coughing is a lot like Cake, but with a jazz influence. I recommend giving them a listen as well.

Help Support Us

Become a patron