Most pleasant surprise(s)

number1

Jan 6, 2010
They played as a "team", passed the ball instead of dribbling it to death which made all the players a part of the team.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
The versatility of Royce
Babb's defensive ability
Melvin's continued development
Percy's ability......love the left hand!
McGee's explosiveness, spark
The chemistry of the team. Such a pleasant change the last 2 years from what ISU had previously. No selfishness really. Genuinely work as a team. Seem like good guys. In interviews, always represent ISU well. I don't think this will be a surprise in the future, because I think a lot of this is due to FH. He recruits kids that he thinks will be that way, and he handles them so that they play that way and stay like that.

LakeHavasu

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406
My surprise would be that none "ZERO" problems off court for the past 2 years. With transfers you get the bad with the good. With the group that Fred assembled, there were a lot of questions if they could stay out of trouble.

The answer was yes. They came together as a team, it looked like all the players liked each other and really and bonded as a team. Good Job Fred & coaching staff.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There were a lot of pleasant surprises with this team....

-chemistry of the team. Especially after Christmas. But even before Christmas you could tell that the players wanted to win, but maybe weren't quite sure the best way to do that.
-The growth of Hoiberg as a coach. I think he did a great job last year, but you could tell how much more comfortable he was out there this year.
-The absolute joy it was to watch Royce play basketball.
-Chris Babb being the best defender in the league
-The road wins and the competitive games on the road
-How fun it was to see the transfers succeed on and off the court. Those kids took a lot of crap and they proved themselves to be true Cyclones.

I have quite the list. But it was one of those seasons that I used to think would happen every few years. But the last 11 years have shown me that these types of seasons don't happen very often at all. In fact, in a lot of ways, this season was more impressive than a lot of our other good seasons with a 12-6 conference record.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron