Most Memorable Game-Winning Basket at Hilton Coliseum

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Definitely Scotty's last year. I'm young though, so I wasn't able to witness all of the greatness that is Hilton Magic.

D

DistrictCyclone

Best road game winner would be a better topic... Much more to choose from...

Id go

1. Thigpen at CU

2. Rancik at Nebraska

Those are the 2 best game winners in my lifetime.

Was this where he drained a running shot, didn't stop running, and ran straight into the locker room?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Hoiberg 3pt play vs Ok St in 1992 to put isu ahead for first time with about 8 sec left. Thank you Alexander for missing twice with 2 sec left

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Ellerman against whoever that was. Since we won and it was late in the game it was technically a game winning shot, right?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Mine best two "game winning shots" are the missed free throws at the end of the Texas game, and the missed free throws at the end of the first OSU upset game.

Can we get a smiley of the basketball court that shakes around???

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
How could all off you forget the Shane Power to Omar Bynum play against K-State in Feb. of 2002?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I liked the one Grayer hit as a Freshman to beat Drake at the last second.

Since most of the responses are making me feel older than I already am, I'll give another vote for that one.

There were two controversial calls right before that — I think ISU got a terrible charging foul call, then an inbound pass went off ISU player's leg but refs gave possession to ISU. (Memory is hazy).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
As far as game-winners on the road, I seem to remember Thigpen scoring on an in-bounds play at Minnesota as the horn sounded.

It was a masterful blend of coaching call and player execution.

If this is all wrong, please ignore.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
As far as game-winners on the road, I seem to remember Thigpen scoring on an in-bounds play at Minnesota as the horn sounded.

It was a masterful blend of coaching call and player execution.

If this is all wrong, please ignore.

I was there. Worst seats in the house. Way higher then the scoreboard....that the Minnesota guy hit with the inbounds pass to set up our game winner. Awesome game.

As for the Power to Bynum play, it was 50/50 if Omar would catch it on the first try or not. Didn't exactly have the best hands. Even a simple pass was risky with him.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I liked the one Grayer hit as a Freshman to beat Drake at the last second.

This was a good one. But the fact that beating Drake required a last second shot (and a bad officials' call giving us the ball out of bounds) gives it negative rep!

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
While i wouldnt say that one was terribly memorable (and the jimlad justified) i would say that it was important, in that it was a bit of a cathartic win for the program, wiping away the old regime. It wouldve sucked to lose to GMac months after he left.

Except for the fact that his shot was after the buzzer, and it should have been a loss.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I know a lot of posters aren't old enough to remember it but I think Barry's shot against Mizzou has to be #1. Not only did it give ISU it's first great victory under Johnny, that one shot, IMO, was the beginning of Hilton Magic.

psi

Dec 28, 2009
1999. Marcus Fizer's dunk to beat Kansas in the last game of Eustchy's first year. We were a bad team but pulled off the upset to finish the season.

That one was special because it was the start of a five game winning streak against Kansas. Including two at Phog Allen.