Most Disappointing Concert You've Attended

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I guess my most disappointing concert was a few years ago at Hilton. Def Leppard and Journey did a double-headliner show. I knew Steve Perry had long since left the group (but I was mainly there for Def Leppard anyway), so my expectations were low. But ultimately, it felt like I was watching a karaoke show. The guy on vocals was plenty capable, but it wasn't Journey.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Mine is an odd answer, since it's probably also the best concert I've been to.

Pearl Jam at Wrigley field.

It was an amazing show, but disappointing since it probably would have been even better if there wasn't a two hour weather interruption causing some of the set list to get cut.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I've seen over 100 concerts in my life and worst one by a mile was John Mellencamp 2007/8 in Des Moines. Spent good money on floor seats and it was OK up until he played Small Town. Before he started, he had this small story about a small town guy, and I looked at my wife and said, he's gonna bring out John Edwards. Sure as ****, he brings John Edwards out on the stage, who got booed so bad. He was in total shock and said a few words but then knew he had to step back. He was totally unprepared for it, and it gave me a sour taste the rest of the night.
It's not that I hate Edwards (but I do), it's that I paid good money to see Mellancamp play the guitar and sing, not pitch someone for the Iowa Caucus.
I have seen Mellencamp many times, he was my own personal Jesus in the 80s and 90s, having grown up on a farm and all that. The more recent shows (most recent being about 2005-06) ... he was mailing it in, playing the same old songs. I don't need to hear Hurts so Good again. I know it's my fault thinking he's going to go off the beaten path with the set list, but it is sad to see your old heroes settle into mediocrity.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Bon Jovi at Wells Fargo. I decided to take my son and wife. The wife is a fan. I like a few songs. My son was 11 and I thought it would be a good first concert for him. So we were all pumped up for like 30 minutes. Then he goes into the slow down portion of the show. The ballads. Then comes out of that with some new songs. Serioulsy I wanted to sleep. I was close to going to sleep. My wife and son were miserable.
I tried to explain to my son that concerts are better and I would make it up to him. So I just bought him Motley crue tickets. Motley. Even though Vince has no voice left and they are old as crap. Always put on an entertaining show. Pyro and the rest. needless to say I will not be giong back to Bon Jovi.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Stevie Nicks at Hilton, she was awful, so stoned she didn't know where she was and forgot the lyrics to several songs. Joe Walsh was great though.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Bob Dylan in the mid to late 80's when he toured with Tom Petty. Tom was good. Dylan was horrible.

Also, Frank Sinatra in the early 90's (not too long before he passed). Guy in the men's room said, "looks like we were 40 years too late to this concert". It was sad

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Tone Loc Veishea 99'

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Stevie Nicks at Hilton, she was awful, so stoned she didn't know where she was and forgot the lyrics to several songs. Joe Walsh was great though.

I was wondering when this was going to appear.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Bob Dylan at the Iowa State Fair. He acted very disinterested.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Bob Dylan at the Iowa State Fair. He acted very disinterested.

To be fair, that restaurant exploded during his set, so he may have been distracted. :)

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Mark me down for another disappointed John Cougar concert. But this was at Farm Aid in KC a few years ago. JCM blew, Willie only came out for a few songs. Then let his son sing the rest of his set. Neil Young was in a bummer mood so nothing really great from him. And he was acoustic. Besides Dave and Tim, and Jason Mraz everything else really blew.

Also my wife and I left after 4 songs of a Blue's Travelers concert. Had no energy, and we had free tickets.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Tool at Hilton back in 2002. I still like Tool, but the show was just not for me.

I love TOOL and just about every show that I've seen them at has been "for me". I saw them in Moline maybe in 2004 and it was such a horrible show. It was their last show of the tour and you could tell they were just ready to go home. The set was the shortest of the tour by about 45 minutes and they were just messing around the entire time. I was really pretty chapped about it.

Anyone that has ever opened up for TOOL with the exception of Tricky. Melt Banana...wtf.

Eric Church at Lolla. Every song was smokin, fightin, drinkin...the male version of Taylor Swift. He had a guitar on him the whole time, not sure if he strummed it once though.

Jack's Mannequin/The Fray in Minneapolis. Not sure who the sound guy was, but they needed to be fired asap.

I'll try to think of some more. Overall, I've been pretty lucky with my concert selection.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Tool in Cedar Rapids. One of favorite bands and they were awful. Maynard James Keenan started off by reprimanding the crowd for not enjoying the crap opening band and that pretty much set the tone. The rest of the concert was less about music and more about 2 hrs of ambient sounds.

I haven't seen Tool or A Perfect Circle, but I've heard from multiple people that APC puts on an awesome show.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
Dave Mathews Band in Chicago in the early 2000s. I might as well have stayed at home and just listened to one of the live albums. Very blah.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Liquor bottles throw on stage is always a sign of a terrible show.

Also when GNR came to Hilton, sometime between 05-07, Helmet opened for them, and they got booed off stage. Only time I've seen that.

Axel also made everyone wait for over two hours before he finally came out, but I will say they were pretty good.
I saw GnR in Minneapolis in 92 or about and Soundgarden was the opener. Time on the ticket was 7pm. Soundgarden came out at 9pm and the sound was so bad you could not make out a song. Got booed, Chris Cornell said have fun waiting.
GnR didn't come out until 11pm. People were not happy until about half way through the first song. Once they got going they were great. Played close to 3 hours

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Black Crowes at simon Estes a few years ago were really underwhelming. They acted very much like they were too good for the venue and I got the feeling that they just don't like each other anymore and performing together is strictly a business thing. No joy from that stage.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
A lot of people just seem to be listing bad concerts. There's a difference between bad and disappointing. Disappointing implies that you had some level of expectations that went unfulfilled.

For many of the comments here, that begs a question: what expectations did you have when you purchased tickets to see [insert aging butt-rock band here] play at [insert name of county fairground livestock pavilion here] several years or decades after they were last relevant?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron