Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
I also think of this one in the funny/awkward genre:

20150812_101957_resized.jpg

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When we lived VA we always loved the road sign for that exit.
manassas.jpg

Yes!!!!! I feel like we already had this conversation but can't remember how or why it came up. I lived in the Hampton Roads area and made many treks up 95 to DC. We always appreciated that sign.

Reactions: TXCyclones

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Oregon has quite the variety...perhaps some of the folks from Boring found a solution to their problem and started up Wankers Corner???

37. Oregon
Boring, Bridal Veil, Climax, Dead Ox Flat, Drain, Idiotville (ghost town), Plush, Remote, Riddle, Starvation Heights, Sublimity, Tangent, Voltage, Wankers Corner, Zigzag

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Chevy Chase, md. One town in Montana renamed there town Joe for like a week when Joe a Montana retired.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Washington: They got Humptulips
What about -
Pysht (pissed with a lisp)
Kalaloch (pronounced claylock)
Sequim (pronounced Skwim)
Steilacoom (pronounced STILL-uh-cum)
Chehalis (pronounced shuh-HAY-liss)

and the wonderfully boring:
George, Washington :D

@besserheimerphat could probably come up with a few more...

Yeah, lots of Native American names out here. I think it's kinda cool, though I sound like a derp when I visit places for the first time.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah, lots of Native American names out here. I think it's kinda cool, though I sound like a derp when I visit places for the first time.
I had a postcard from years ago that had all kinds of names on it, with two people on it & all kinds of question marks. The captain read something like "We're in Washington. We'd tell you where we are, but we can't pronounce it!".

People always seem to get the accent on the wrong syllable too, like "TACK-oh-mah" and "Yuh-KEE-muh" for Tacoma & Yakima...totally backwards!

When I first started working here and was dealing with names in Iowa, I struggled with alternative pronunciations like "Peeroo" and "NuhVAYduh". But I really butchered the heck out of pronouncing the tribal names here with "MAAA-ko-KEE-tuh" (Maquoketa). :)

Help Support Us

Become a patron