Most Annoying word or phrase

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The two words have different meanings. I use utilize frequently in my work because I understand what it means. When I'm speaking to people not in-the-know I'll use "use" even where "utilize" would be appropriate.

You can't sell utilized cars because the meanings are different in this instance. :)
Can you sell a previously utilized car?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
We were in Denver a few weeks back and I ordered a carmel latte and the server did a double take and said "you mean a care-a-mel latte?" I said yes and he said, "You must be from the midwest."

You ordered a caramel latte for your wife, right? :smile:

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
First synonym is "use". Next time you're wanting to utilize the word try utilizing use instead.

1. [h=2]Definition of utilize (vt)[/h] Bing Dictionary
    • u·til·ize
    • [ yóot'l ̄̀z ]
    • make use of something: to make use of something, or find a practical or effective use for something
    synonyms: use · make use of · apply · exploit · make the most of · employ · operate

I catch myself wanting use the word utilize in work email pretty frequently when I could just use the word use. I'm afraid to think of the times it has made it through my filter.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Some of these have probably been mentioned previously:

amazeballs, YOLO, Sunday Funday, bestie, selfie, totes magoats, bae (which means s**t in danish)

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Why do people in my hometown add an S to the name of every business?

Wal-Marts
Targets (usually said "Targets is too fancy")

I tend to add "the" to the store name which drives the young girlfriend nuts. If I say that I'm going to the Target I'm saying I'm going to the normal target we shop at

That's comparable to when people say IllinoiS (pronouncing the S) or in Des MoineS. Dumb.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Can you sell a previously utilized car?

If the car was utilized for a purpose other than it's normal or intended use, then yes, you can sell a used car that was utilized for... (being a weapon, pulling a wagon, water skiing, etc). There are several meanings of used and one generally means something that's not new - as in the case of a car. Utilize generally means taking an item and giving it a new, often unintended purpose. But you didn't really want an explanation, did you? :)