Mosquito Infestation

moneyshot8434

Jan 19, 2009
Des Moines
We just moved into a new house and have been watering our new sod twice a day for the past 3 weeks and yesterday morning, our house was surrounded by mosquitoes. I am assuming all the water in the yard has created this mess, but my question is, has anyone had any success with fighting mosquitoes? I put down the Cutter yard applicator last night and used a fogger for the bad areas, however, today they are all back! I was thinking of calling Springer or TruGreen, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the best route.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
To add to your question,

I've seen billboards for these guys recently and upon a little research, there appears to be a few other companies offering similar services.

Is anyone using them and what are the average costs?

https://www.mosquitosquad.com/

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've actually had good results using the hose-end sprayer products. I probably didn't start from as bad of a position as it sounds like you have though.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We just moved into a new house and have been watering our new sod twice a day for the past 3 weeks and yesterday morning, our house was surrounded by mosquitoes. I am assuming all the water in the yard has created this mess, but my question is, has anyone had any success with fighting mosquitoes? I put down the Cutter yard applicator last night and used a fogger for the bad areas, however, today they are all back! I was thinking of calling Springer or TruGreen, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the best route.

One thing I CAN tell you, don't try the tiki torch or citronella routes. Those things are just pi$$ing in the wind.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I've actually had good results using the hose-end sprayer products. I probably didn't start from as bad of a position as it sounds like you have though.

I did this last year with really good results. You have to re-apply once a week or so, but it really did work.

moneyshot8434

Jan 19, 2009
Des Moines
I did this last year with really good results. You have to re-apply once a week or so, but it really did work.

The fogger and yard applicator seemed like they helped right away, but I am thinking that the problem might be too large for them. I might have to have the professionals help with the infestation and then use the yard applicator going forward.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
The fogger and yard applicator seemed like they helped right away, but I am thinking that the problem might be too large for them. I might have to have the professionals help with the infestation and then use the yard applicator going forward.

Well, there's always napalm.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
To add to your question,

I've seen billboards for these guys recently and upon a little research, there appears to be a few other companies offering similar services.

Is anyone using them and what are the average costs?

https://www.mosquitosquad.com/
Idk about Iowa but a little known fact in Minnesota is that the government mosquito companies will spray your house for free if they have a contract with your city.I would check with there First before paying someone to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

I think Doc's remedy for ants might help...........

flamethrower-bg.jpg

Reactions: Doc

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
For yard I have used the hose end sprayer, more effective than the fogger cans by far.

For a small area like the deck or patio these Off candle/chemical thingies are really quite good. Probably will be shown later to cause cancer or something cause they do work even here in Minnesota. These ARE NOT citrinella.

off-powerpad-lamp.jpg

moneyshot8434

Jan 19, 2009
Des Moines
Update....I have not had anyone come out yet, however, I am not almost certain that these are not mosquitoes. Any one have any idea what kind of a bug this is? They don't seem to bite and they seem to come from the yard. Flying Ants? Yard gnats? bug.JPG

nxtcyson

Jul 11, 2007
Geneva, NY
Update....I have not had anyone come out yet, however, I am not almost certain that these are not mosquitoes. Any one have any idea what kind of a bug this is? They don't seem to bite and they seem to come from the yard. Flying Ants? Yard gnats? View attachment 48216

Not a mosquito, looks like a March fly or fungus gnat. Either way, neither is harmful to you. The larvae of these flies eat fungus or decaying organic matter, both like moist conditions (so the watering of the new lawn could play a role).