More press for Niang

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Calling something from Bleacher Report "press" is a bit of a stretch.

Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
bcfd7.jpg

Reactions: TykeClone

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012

Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.

I'm just happy I haven't seen a thread from answers.com in a while. I can live with Bleacher Report. (Although they are terrible.)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Bleacher report gets a bad rap. Some of it's justified, because certainly some of their reporting is bad. But, there are plenty of good journalists working there, producing good stuff. A lot of their NCAA basketball coverage is very good, for example.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Bleacher report loves Hoiball lately so it's clearly improved as a source of sports info and opinion.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Bleacher report loves Hoiball lately so it's clearly improved as a source of sports info and opinion.

I'd say that it's been improving consistently ever since they replace SI as CNN's sports source. There's been a focus on improving quality, and they've been reasonably successful.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, what's not great about this article. I think it's spot on. My favorite part was the 'Seriously contending with Kansas and Texas'.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Bleacher report gets a bad rap. Some of it's justified, because certainly some of their reporting is bad. But, there are plenty of good journalists working there, producing good stuff. A lot of their NCAA basketball coverage is very good, for example.

Reporting? Journalism? I'm sorry, but you can't have a very good understanding of either of those concepts if you think they're embodied by Bleacher Report.

Even if Bleacher Report hired the top sportswriter from every newspaper in the country, they'll never be considered legitimate journalism because of two fundamental flaws: fan-sourced content, and no editorial point of view. Any Tom, ****, or Harry with a pulse can write commentary (not reporting) on something sports-related and get it published by Bleacher Report. Even if there's an occasional nugget of good stuff, readers have to wade through mounds of **** to get it, which flies against the whole point of journalism (identifying and distilling what's important).

On top of that, the "articles" Bleacher Report puts out frequently contradict each other...a quick google search reveals that Bleacher Report writers think that Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning are all the "best quarterbacks ever"...well, which is it? Their answer is "whatever will get some moron to click on the link", which is the same BS tactic used by other content mills like BuzzFeed, Cracked, Viral Nova, and so on.

Unfortunately, it's also a successful business model (idiots like clicking through listicles, I guess), and it's probably here to stay. But until Bleacher Report knocks it off, they're still just a click-bait content farm that happens to employ a few decent writers (probably for the sole purpose of being able to say "see, we are legitimate journalism!").

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

That's no longer true about Bleacher Report, though it was a year ago. They have actually written some very nice and knowledgeable articles about ISU recently.

But, perhaps you can point to something in the Niang article with which you disagree?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Reporting? Journalism? I'm sorry, but you can't have a very good understanding of either of those concepts if you think they're embodied by Bleacher Report.

Even if Bleacher Report hired the top sportswriter from every newspaper in the country, they'll never be considered legitimate journalism because of two fundamental flaws: fan-sourced content, and no editorial point of view. Any Tom, ****, or Harry with a pulse can write commentary (not reporting) on something sports-related and get it published by Bleacher Report. Even if there's an occasional nugget of good stuff, readers have to wade through mounds of **** to get it, which flies against the whole point of journalism (identifying and distilling what's important).

On top of that, the "articles" Bleacher Report puts out frequently contradict each other...a quick google search reveals that Bleacher Report writers think that Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning are all the "best quarterbacks ever"...well, which is it? Their answer is "whatever will get some moron to click on the link", which is the same BS tactic used by other content mills like BuzzFeed, Cracked, Viral Nova, and so on.

Unfortunately, it's also a successful business model (idiots like clicking through listicles, I guess), and it's probably here to stay. But until Bleacher Report knocks it off, they're still just a click-bait content farm that happens to employ a few decent writers (probably for the sole purpose of being able to say "see, we are legitimate journalism!").

Only if said listicle topics include boob pics, in which case, yes, I do enjoy clicking through them.