More on Giorgios Tsalmpouris - Abdelmassih talks Greece trip

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree he'll become a pretty good player, but I'll always have some hilarious memories from Woodybury.

-Kane in bounding it off his *ss for the layup & 1
-Woody shushing the crowd after a dunk that cleared the rim by about 2mm.

Both of these things literally cause me to laugh out loud when I see them or think about them.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Did you watch the Iowa vs. Tennessee "tournament game" last year? Woodbury had 16 and 8 on 8-11 shooting against a pretty good front court from UT. You can't honestly say he hasn't improved since he arrived at Iowa. Let's be honest, he was pretty much agreed by everyone outside of a handful of idiot Iowa fans to be a project coming in (like 99% of 7-footers). He just finished up his sophomore season and is far from plateaued as far as potential goes. It will be a tough pill to swallow for some around here when Woodbury is pretty good over the last year and a half of his career.

He's got a LOT of improvement to make to be a pretty good player. One game is great, but statistically he was probably one of the worst starting centers in a major conference.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Did you watch the Iowa vs. Tennessee "tournament game" last year? Woodbury had 16 and 8 on 8-11 shooting against a pretty good front court from UT. You can't honestly say he hasn't improved since he arrived at Iowa. Let's be honest, he was pretty much agreed by everyone outside of a handful of idiot Iowa fans to be a project coming in (like 99% of 7-footers). He just finished up his sophomore season and is far from plateaued as far as potential goes. It will be a tough pill to swallow for some around here when Woodbury is pretty good over the last year and a half of his career.

Well I expect Hogue to consistently drop 34 points, 6 boards, and 2 steals a game this year since he was able to do it his first year of Div 1 basketball against the National Champs. My gosh it was Woodbury's best game in two years playing significant minutes both years. He hasn't even been able to drop 16 pts against some of the scrubs Iowa schedules in the non con. Woodbury may be "good" by his senior year but he certainly has a lot of work to do. His rebounds per game and blocks per game actually dropped this year compared to his freshman year. That is certainly not the categories I want a 7'1" guy decreasing statistically as he "progresses".

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
The TRex jokes are funny, but Woodbury is better than some of you are giving credit for. Like usual, it's the "our guys will improve, but their players will not" mantra.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The TRex jokes are funny, but Woodbury is better than some of you are giving credit for. Like usual, it's the "our guys will improve, but their players will not" mantra.

5.7 ppg. 3.9 rpg. 0.5 bpg. As a 7-1 starting center. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand where everyone is saying he's good.

His freshman year was 4.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg and 0.8 bpg. You could argue he declined his sophomore year, not improved. I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to say he's a good player based on one game last year. He's got to improve a LOT in a lot of places.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
5.7 ppg. 3.9 rpg. 0.5 bpg. As a 7-1 starting center. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand where everyone is saying he's good.

His freshman year was 4.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg and 0.8 bpg. You could argue he declined his sophomore year, not improved. I'm sorry, but I'm just not going to say he's a good player based on one game last year. He's got to improve a LOT in a lot of places.

Those are comparable to Matt Thomas type stats. It would not shock me to see him improve a fair amount this year and next.

Woodbury will never be Embiid, but he could become a Homan type player, which is nothing to sneeze at.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Those are comparable to Matt Thomas type stats. It would not shock me to see him improve a fair amount this year and next.

Woodbury will never be Embiid, but he could become a Homan type player, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I think the fact that you compared their starting center to our second guy coming off the bench says enough. Could he become a really good player? Sure. Is he or has he shown he will in two years so far? No. Absolutely he can improve, like anybody can, but he hasn't shown it yet.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Tsal is already a better shooter than Woodbury will ever be and he's only 17, the future is a ? for either but I'll take the younger kid who's at least as big and athletic and can soot the 3 every time.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
Thread got derailed about another less skilled and older 7 footer.

I think thread got a little off topic talking about another 7 footer that unfortunately we've all had to watch play basketball and due to watching him play makes us worried about getting a 7 footer. By the way can anyone put the inbounds pass off Woodbury gif on this thread. That was the best.

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI

Did I say he was good? No. I did not say he was good.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Tsal is already a better shooter than Woodbury will ever be and he's only 17, the future is a ? for either but I'll take the younger kid who's at least as big and athletic and can soot the 3 every time.

I really like the idea of our Greek giant - dont mistake me.

But I never said nor inferred that the TRex is better than Georgios.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Woodbury really improved his ft% which is where the one point per game bump went to. Outside of that it's not a stretch to say he didn't improve from freshman to soph year…but Iowa fans obviously have hope that last game of the year was as sign and not an anomaly. It has clearly been an anomaly in a 60 some game sample.

Back to Tsal though…would a 7'1" seventeen year old who can knock down a deep 3 ever NOT be a top 100 recruit had he played in the states? Looking at where Woodbury was ranked can at least give us a guess, I'm sure they had different strengths and weaknesses as high school kids but it looks pretty clear that Tsal is a better shooter at that age. I'm guessing we'd all be giddy about his 'stars' if he had played here, even though he'd still probably be thought of as a project.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I think thread got a little off topic talking about another 7 footer that unfortunately we've all had to watch play basketball and due to watching him play makes us worried about getting a 7 footer. By the way can anyone put the inbounds pass off Woodbury gif on this thread. That was the best.

i23HQDbtRzeU9.gif

Reactions: sadam

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I love this. CF should have a Media Archive section that houses things like this. It would ensure that we never forget and is easily referenced for other threads.
:spinny:

That is a damn good idea. Easily linkable windmill gifs.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

I was watching an Iowa game with my father in law and saying how they needed to play Woodbury less and Olaseni more. Woodbury promptly got the ball in the post, did a spin move, and shot a layup straight into the bottom of the rim. It was truly pathetic, but couldn't have illustrated my point any better.

sadam

Jan 8, 2014
I was watching an Iowa game with my father in law and saying how they needed to play Woodbury less and Olaseni more. Woodbury promptly got the ball in the post, did a spin move, and shot a layup straight into the bottom of the rim. It was truly pathetic, but couldn't have illustrated my point any better.

Thank you. God I love that!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Woodbury isn't very good but Olaseni is worse. Woodbury knows his role, can pass and play defense. Olaseni is completely lost out there on the defensive end but he has a higher ceiling than Woodbury because his athletic ability. I'd be shocked if Woodbury ever averages more than 8 pts 6 rebounds

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron