More on Giorgios Tsalmpouris - Abdelmassih talks Greece trip

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Numbers don't exist in Hoiball

On offense, I totally agree. But you are going to defend someone on the other end and that is how I number guys when talking about ISU.

For example, Niang plays the 5 because he generally guards the biggest player on the other team. But offensively, he isn't a 5.

Also, GT will never play on the perimeter consistently.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Whirling Dervishes are Turkish, not Greek. Though there's a few hundred thousand Greeks who were Turkish 100 years ago and visa versa. Anyway, yeah don't confuse the two...the two aren't exactly fond on one another all the time.

Georges is a whirling ride in a carnival then. He whirls more than any player that I know.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
On offense, I totally agree. But you are going to defend someone on the other end and that is how I number guys when talking about ISU.

For example, Niang plays the 5 because he generally guards the biggest player on the other team. But offensively, he isn't a 5.

Also, GT will never play on the perimeter consistently.

Yeah he is.... He is the 5 in our offense.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Isaiah Austin was a 3...all due respect.

What??

There is a difference between a wing (3 spot) and a big who likes to shoot 3's. Isaiah Austin and Jamie Vanderbeken type players ARE NOT 3's any more than a guard like Kane who likes to post up was not a 4 or 5.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
What??

There is a difference between a wing (3 spot) and a big who likes to shoot 3's. Isaiah Austin and Jamie Vanderbeken type players ARE NOT 3's any more than a guard like Kane who likes to post up was not a 4 or 5.

Have to defend cyinthenorth a little here. Yes, Austin was a center. But when they had Gathers and Jefferson in the lineup, Austin played much more like a 3 than a 5.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
It may have already been posted, but when do his games with the Greek national team start? Any idea where I can find some footage or stats from these games?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

Do you know how this is going to work since the national team is playing in the FIBA World Cup from August 30 - September 14? If he's on the national team that obviously cuts into classes. Maybe he's just working out with them but I guess I'd be surprised when presumably they want to get the team ready and wouldn't spend a lot of time with guys that aren't going.

Last edited:

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Do you know how this is going to work since the national team is playing in the FIBA World Cup from August 30 - September 14? If he's on the national team that obviously cuts into classes. Maybe he's just working out with them but I guess I'd be surprised when presumably they want to get the team ready and wouldn't spend a lot of time with guys that aren't going.

Classes start August 25th. If he played through Sept 14th, you're looking at him missing 3.5 weeks minimum.

That would put a serious damper on my enthusiasm for him actually stepping on the court for us.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
All of the previous articles say he will come August 5th with his family coming to visit with him for a couple of weeks. That time frame would fit in perfect with the u18 FIBA World Cup and classes starting.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
All of the previous articles say he will come August 5th with his family coming to visit with him for a couple of weeks. That time frame would fit in perfect with the u18 FIBA World Cup and classes starting.

Seems entirely possible that while the Greek national team wants him in the fold early they also realize that only a handful of 17 year olds on the planet could have an impact on the fiba worlds.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Tsalmpouris is who the Iowa State coaches thought he would be.

greenx.gif