More bowls - ugh

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
"The NCAA is also expected to give an updated outline on the maximum number of teams each conference can send to bowl games, based on the average number of teams each conference has sent in the past four years."

Has there always been a maximum number of teams a conference can send to bowl games?

That seems crazy. Conferences could never, ever increase the number of teams they have in a bowl game. Unless its something like this:

max = average of last 4 years plus 1, rounded up.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Yep. It'll never happen because it doesnt pay the bills, but i dont really care if we have 0-12 teams playing for the mythical toilet bowl. Dont like it, don't watch. And hell, there are some big matchups that have produced total stinkers, and some games between not so good teams that've been compelling. More football gives you more of both.

I mean hell, we've had many years where we arent in a bowl, but teams that are objectively worse than us but in a **** conference make a bowl. But because we use 6-6 as a metric instead of something like SOS, we stay home.

The days of it being some sort of prestige to end the season in a bowl game ended 20-30 years ago. Its all about what bowl you're in now. Everyone knows which bowls are ****.

That would be the most amazing bowl game of all time. 0-12 Kansas vs 0-12 Idaho would be freaking sweet

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
"The NCAA is also expected to give an updated outline on the maximum number of teams each conference can send to bowl games, based on the average number of teams each conference has sent in the past four years."

Has there always been a maximum number of teams a conference can send to bowl games?

Other reports specify that the maximum relates to the number of contracted tie-ins, not the maximum number of teams that can play in a bowl.

Too many of the "lower tier" bowls had to have contingency agreements with mid-major conferences because there wasn't an 11th/12th team from the ACC or SEC available.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I never get why people complain about more bowls. As far as I'm concerned - the more football, the better. If you don't care about the game just don't tune in. Plus, its easier for ISU to get in.

Reactions: khardbored

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That’s fine. Won’t watch most of them anyways. Around Christmas time I don’t really get much excitement out of watching FIU and Bowling Green going at in in the R + L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.

Btw, with Campbell here we don’t need an easier route to bowl games anymore. The Paul Rhoads era is long over.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Costal Carolina with their newly expanded stadium to hold..... 20,000.

Citrus Bowl last year was 82% full.
Outback Bowl was 70% full
Taxslayer Bowl was 61% full
Cotton Bowl was 67% full
Arizona Bowl was 70% full
Music City was 70% full
Belk Bowl was 44% full

Very few bowls were over 70% full. And thats actual tickets sold, not butts in the seat. A jam packed 20K stadium might be a better atmosphere than a 1/3 empty larger stadium.