More appreciative of Jack Trice after the LB

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
I don't want to sound ungrateful because I enjoyed the crap out of Memphis. Went in 2012 and again this week. I thought the Tiger Lane addition was quite nice. That was very well done. Unfortunately, it's a very small piece of the tailgating scene. It works great for a 35k Memphis home game but not a 60k sellout of the Liberty Bowl.

Memphis fans were great. Before and after the game, I met nothing but classy fans.

I love the history of the stadium but it does need some love and care. The bathroom situation was horrendous. When you wait in line for almost 25 minutes during halftime, it is unacceptable. The hallway on the second deck was like being in a college bar on Friday night of homecoming week. You could not walk it was so jam-packed.

The video board was a nice addition. They just need someone to run a stats program to give some info to fans during the game. The technology is there, just need some programming/people to help the gameday experience.

The sound in the stadium could be greatly enhanced. It was difficult to hear the announcer. Maybe I'm just used to being blown away in Jack Trice where we have the audio level turned to a 12 on a scale of 1-10!

Hopefully, they can come up with some dollars to make the gameday experience a bit more enjoyable.

going from an ESPN deal that pays us 2 million per year to one that pays 25 million per year would do it ;-)

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
It must have been pretty bad because the bathroom and concession situation at JTS is pretty brutal. Bathrooms are okay if you go during the game, but the speed and efficiency of the concessions is rivaled by few.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: isu2014 and tolstoy

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
It must have been pretty bad because the bathroom and concession situation at JTS is pretty brutal. Bathrooms are okay if you go during the game, but the speed and efficiency of the concessions is rivaled by few.

I like our concessions...they're rented out to local companies like Coletta's Pizza, Hog Wild BBQ, and Uncle Lou's hot wings. They also serve Memphis made Ghost River beer to go along with Bud/Bud Light

It also features a '50 yard line bar and grill' on the Iowa State side...

I also like that they added LED lights for night games
d52f04c78be34bb7a5bb213657b8ac40.jpg

QCvWC7h2_400x400.jpg

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
of course I also have to admit that the normal Memphis game has around 40,000 people there (+/- 3000 or so depending on weather/opponent) so the issues of lines at concessions/bathrooms isn't typically that noticeable.
09072013memphisdukejm1430*1200xx5184-2916-0-128.jpg

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
As we were waiting in line to get in the stadium, I told my wife if I ever complained about the JTS game day experience again, remind me of our LB experience.

Getting into the lots was absolutely ridiculous. It took us about an hour to get parked when we were within .5 miles of the stadium and this was only after we just started driving where and how we wanted to drive.

Getting into the game took about 30 minutes and we missed the first series of the game. I was starting to wonder if they were cavity searching everyone prior to entering.

Not going to beat a dead horse on the bathroom situation and sound system as enough has been said on that.

If anything, it makes me appreciate what we have in Ames even more.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like our concessions...they're rented out to local companies like Coletta's Pizza, Hog Wild BBQ, and Uncle Lou's hot wings. They also serve Memphis made Ghost River beer to go along with Bud/Bud Light

It also features a '50 yard line bar and grill' on the Iowa State side..
I saw a lot of people get subs and pizza. I opted for the foot long corn dog with “painted” mustard. It was pretty damn good.

Best meal I had all week was at Soul Fish Cafe. Unbelievable cornmeal fried oyster and shrimp poboy.

Reactions: UofMemphis

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Some of the complaints I’m reading I think are because people are not use to going to games at the Liberty Bowl. I think if we went back next year the experience from this year would really help. We parked within a block of the stadium opposite side of Tiger Lane in a guys driveway but there was a grass lot even closer that I will use next time. There was permanent bathrooms past the fountain by Tiger Lane, not much wait there. As far as entry into the stadium I went in gate 5 and barely waited and this was 15 minutes before kick off. Not sure why people stood in the longer lines. Enjoyed the bar during halftime to warm up.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Most of us that made the mistake of going to the South bathroom missed the half. After half we found if we went to West BIG bathroom there was almost no wait. Live and learn. Loved the buffet and beer tailgating. Rendezvous was better than I remember from 15 years ago.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Some of the complaints I’m reading I think are because people are not use to going to games at the Liberty Bowl. I think if we went back next year the experience from this year would really help. We parked within a block of the stadium opposite side of Tiger Lane in a guys driveway but there was a grass lot even closer that I will use next time. There was permanent bathrooms past the fountain by Tiger Lane, not much wait there. As far as entry into the stadium I went in gate 5 and barely waited and this was 15 minutes before kick off. Not sure why people stood in the longer lines. Enjoyed the bar during halftime to warm up.
I went to the LB in 2012 and my gripe about restrooms this time is valid. Tulsa had way, way, way less of a crowd than Memphis did, and that could have been the difference.
The bathrooms past tiger lane aren’t helpful for the buffet and the game.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Guess I got lucky as far as the bathroom situation went. Never had a line inside the stadium. Wife never had to wait, either.

Also got into the stadium quickly, even though it was a mob scene getting in.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
OK, so not that any of you care but the Liberty Bowl was built to be 50,000 when it opened in 1965. The side Memphis fans were on this LB was much lower and was expended in 1989 to match the 'home' side. So the plumbing on that side was done in the late 80s while the plumbing on the ISU side is straight out of 1965.

pre-1989 renovation
xxxx_masp_memphis_showboats11_143569558273_2573622_ver1..jpg

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
OK, so not that any of you care but the Liberty Bowl was built to be 50,000 when it opened in 1965. The side Memphis fans were on this LB was much lower and was expended in 1989 to match the 'home' side. So the plumbing on that side was done in the late 80s while the plumbing on the ISU side is straight out of 1965.

pre-1989 renovation
I'm intrigued, who are/were the showboats?

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

pre-1989 renovation

Long story short, y’all need to come experience Jack Trice Stadium and tailgating sometime. Tailgating is similar to
Memphis and the stadium has some nice features.

UofMemphis

Dec 5, 2017
I'm intrigued, who are/were the showboats?

USFL (summer league football)...Donald Trump killed it when he talked them into competing with the NFL and eventually suing them. Reggie White was our star player and my parents had tickets.

Reggie White:
reggie-white-as-a-showboat2-2.jpg

The Liberty Bowl is also home to the 'Southern Heritage Classic' where HBCs Jackson (MS) State and TN State (Nashville) 'meet in the middle' at Memphis...the game is broadcast on BET
jsu_band_at_shc_sept_8_2007.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron