Montgomery signs contract

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Is that entire salary guaranteed? No matter what, that is a good amount of cash so good for him! Really life changing.

If for some reason the NFL does not work out for him, his intelligence and attitude will make him a success in life. (He already is)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Is that entire salary guaranteed? No matter what, that is a good amount of cash so good for him! Really life changing.

If for some reason the NFL does not work out for him, his intelligence and attitude will make him a success in life. (He already is)

590239322f6ae426018b4b50-750-562.png

As you can see above...

-- first-round picks have most of their contracts guaranteed
-- second-round picks have some of their contracts guaranteed

Again, it is not as formulaic as the NBA, but NFL rookies basically have the same "cliff" between the second-round and the first-round as guys do between pick #30 and pick #31 in the NBA in terms of guaranteed money and years on their first contract.

Then again, it is easier to make an NFL roster as a 3-5 round pick versus the difficulty of playing your way onto an NBA roster as a second-round guy.

Looks like David received a $495,000 signing bonus. So he does pocket that. The remaining $3.1 million on his contract the next few years is not guaranteed, though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is the NFL and these contracts for players after the 2nd round aren't guaranteed. The rookie contracts are required to be four years but if it's not guaranteed, it's really only four years of pay only if the teams still wants you each year.

From Sports Illustrated 2017 by a guy who used to do rookie contracts for the Packers:

"Though the CBA drastically reduced pay for top rookies, agents have extracted a measure of redemption with guarantees. Most first-round contracts are fully guaranteed for all four years. Second-round contracts are usually guaranteed for the first two years, although late in the round it appears only the first year is fully guaranteed, with a partial guarantee in 2018. Below the second round, only the signing bonus is guaranteed."

The full article (actually quite informative IMHO): https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/16/nfl-rookie-contracts-fine-print

Some good news though, if he makes the opening day roster as a rookie than the average career length is 6 years or so. I think he might have a better shot at this than a lot of 3rd rounders.

Edit: And I see @Sigmapolis and @charlie_B beat me to the draw. I'll leave the post since I think the linked article is interesting.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
he's been practicing this whole time without a contract?
It's fairly common, especially for the earliest OTAs after the draft. Think there's an insurance angle the teams/players use til the contract is done. Don't know the details.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron