Monte Morris vs. Chris Colvin

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
The game seems much easier for Morris than it did for Colvin. Based on the videos I watched, Morris seems to play within the flow of the game and makes plays as his team need them. He looks the part of a DI point guard. He seems to have a solid handle and has great court vision. He is big enough to take it to the rack and yet he can score from deep too. I would think defense may be his biggest adjustment next year. At first glance, his game reminds me a little of Diante Garrett.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
I had forgotten how bad Colvin's stats were. For all the attention he got, I mistakenly remembered him as a better contributor on the court.

What I remember was our stagnant offense. I remember him coming in and penetrating and at least getting other guys involved and got them some easy baskets. Not saying he was great or anything but I think he could of been a pretty decent player. I also remember McDermott never having him on the court with Diante which I think could of lead to some mismatches for Diante.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Colvin is a great guy to compare Morris to because it appears they are polar opposites. It's really a microcosm of the program under the last two regimes. Colvin was a misfit personality and talent-wise for McDermott while Morris looks to be a perfect fit for Hoiberg's team.

Colvin was sloppy with the ball, couldn't shoot, and a punk, plain and simple. The only redeeming quality of Colvin's game was his court vision.

Morris appears to know exactly what he is capable of, runs a championship team, and is the leader of a program.

The choice is obvious no matter the ranking. We got a good one.

Last edited:

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
And while everyone gushes over Morris' leadership qualities, he clearly has game. Only downside I see is he is a little slender, but he's a senior in high school.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Chris Colvin was a little *****.

He was a little ***** down here at ASU as well. I know one of the assistants(now moved onto Washington) and he said he was a pain in the *** but they couldn't get rid of him because they had no other pg last year while Jahii was out.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
this thread makes me sick to my stomach.

maybe dmclone can just compare a BMW to a Ford Fiesta instead.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Which one.....McRightway, McUnderestimatewhattypeofplayertorecruit, McTransfer, McBlindsided or McIfwinninggetsinthewayIneedtochangeprofessions?

I hope we don't say that about Fred in the future. But one has to wonder, with players like Tavon Sledge and Jordon Railey (transferred out immediately) Okoro and Long (showed not much promise this season) and now going after lower-tier JC guys (Amardi, Edozie, Bluford) that most major conference schools wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at. I hope I'm wrong, and I know he's gotten a few great recruits (Ejim, Niang, hopefully Thomas and Morris).

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Morris is much better, you don't win Mr. basketball in a state like Michigan if you aren't damn good at basketball.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I hope we don't say that about Fred in the future. But one has to wonder, with players like Tavon Sledge and Jordon Railey (transferred out immediately) Okoro and Long (showed not much promise this season) and now going after lower-tier JC guys (Amardi, Edozie, Bluford) that most major conference schools wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at. I hope I'm wrong, and I know he's gotten a few great recruits (Ejim, Niang, hopefully Thomas and Morris).

Not like Fred could pick and choose for recruits when he got here as ISU was in the dumps.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not like Fred could pick and choose for recruits when he got here as ISU was in the dumps.

They were, but that doesn't explain him going after guys now, after back to back NCAA appearances, who aren't even cutting it at the JC level. I've heard Amardi is only the 4th or 5th best player on his JUNIOR COLLEGE team. That type of player has no business on the court for an NCAA Division I team in the Big 12. Hogue is the only one that I see any reason to be excited about next year.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
They were, but that doesn't explain him going after guys now, after back to back NCAA appearances, who aren't even cutting it at the JC level. I've heard Amardi is only the 4th or 5th best player on his JUNIOR COLLEGE team. That type of player has no business on the court for an NCAA Division I team in the Big 12. Hogue is the only one that I see any reason to be excited about next year.

I think you will be surprised with Amardi's abilities once you see him play here next season.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Indian Hills has always had a good basketball program as long as I can remember, and could probably hang with quite a few D1 teams.

Fred didn't recruit Railey and Sledge was just a miss. We all saw what Erik McKnight did during the tourney, though, turning into a serviceable player for FGCU. Coaches are entitled to have misses every now and then. Long and Okoro didn't see a lot of time because we had a senior laden top 6. Were they going to play over Korie, Chris, or Tyrus?? Unlikely.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Indian Hills has always had a good basketball program as long as I can remember, and could probably hang with quite a few D1 teams.

Fred didn't recruit Railey and Sledge was just a miss. We all saw what Erik McKnight did during the tourney, though, turning into a serviceable player for FGCU. Coaches are entitled to have misses every now and then. Long and Okoro didn't see a lot of time because we had a senior laden top 6. Were they going to play over Korie, Chris, or Tyrus?? Unlikely.

I agree with everything you're saying, all I'm really hoping for is that Hoiberg doesn't eventually get tabbed as a poor recruiter or clueless recruiter like McDermott unfortunately was. I desperately want to see the JC transfers come in and contribute, and Long and Okoro find their roles next year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I believe Amardi is a top 40 Juco recruit. I'm not sure what more could be doing as far as recruiting goes. Who has he missed on but sledge? Long and Okoro were not going to see much PT we knew that going into the year. They both have potential. This year he is bringing in two top 100 high school recruits and two top 40 Juco recruits. That is a pretty good class. He already has a four star point guard signed for next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My only conern is how many Okoro, Long, and Sledge's will we have to suffer per Niang we get? tio

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
I know this doesn't answer the question of MM vs. CC but I can tell you that there were plenty of Michigan fans who came up to me this weekend as I was wearing my Iowa State gear at the Final Four who said that we got a real good one in MM.
It was great to see how many people(outside of Iowa State Fans) love our coach, loved watching our team play, and had such positive things to say about our incoming players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron