NBA: Monte Morris - Summer and the I. Thomas signing

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I watched Monte's first summer game - Nuggets vs. the Wolves - and Monte was probably the MVP. He put in 15 points, had 4 assists (could've had more with better finishing) and 1 turnover - maybe he has a chance to be a good assist-to-turnover guy :) He hit a 3 in the 1st half had a sweet pass through the lane for a dunk in the 2nd half.

It's early, obviously, but it seemed that he had come a long way in his 1st year as a pro. He looked confident and had a lot of success driving (most of his baskets were layups) and was confident and quick overall. The announcers raved about his first-half performance (saying he was doing a "takeover" of the game etc.). So the early returns looked favorable to me; Denver needs a back-up PG so let's hope MM's performance remains good.

He still looks very slight to me and is not effective at the physical side of defense. I looked at the Nuggets' fan boards and people were raving about him. Of course, their votes count for nothing - hopefully, the coach and GM feel the same way.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Monte looks like he’s in best shape of his life, by far. He looks at least 10-15 LBs bigger than when he was at ISU. THey list him at 175Lbs? There is no way he is 175. He wasnt 160 his senior year at iSU..lol. Idk kinda odd.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Found some video of Monte - this was after hitting a 3, I believe:

(@nuggets) <a href="">July 7, 2018</a></blockquote>

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From NBA.com's "5 takeways":

Morris and Beasley’s aggressiveness: The duo came out in attack mode, and generally kept up the mindset throughout. Morris combined it with solid shooting, quickly getting downhill off of screens and finishing well at the rim. It was exactly the start – and type of game – Morris was looking for to start off a big summer league for him. He credited an uplifting pre-game text from Nuggets president of basketball operations, Tim Connelly, with filling him with the confidence to go out and play freely.

“I wish I made a few more of those shots that I worked on every day and made,” Morris said. “They’ll fall (Saturday), so I just try to stay even-keeled. But other than that, I felt that I was good defensively, just picking up full (court) and being active. And I helped my teammates.”

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte had another solid game vs. the Celtics, with 14 points and 6 assists (with only one turnover, natch). Commentators and BB writers seem to refer to him as an NBA-level player.

Here are his highlights from Game 2 (the official box score on NBA.com has him with 14 pts, not 16):

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Denver Post article comments on Monte's first game in the SL:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/07/nuggets-morning-after-monte-morris/

1. Monte Morris’ strong start. Second-year point guard Monte Morris played like a guy who is aiming to turn a two-way contract into a full-time role as Jamal Murray’s backup. Morris scored 13 of his 15 points in the first half and recorded four assists against one turnover, maintaining his reputation as a reliable ball-handler. Offensively, he also displayed an ability to knock down outside shots and burst past his defender to finish at the rim. And if Morris needed any extra motivation before the first act of his big audition, it came in the form of a text message Tim Connelly. The Nuggets’ president of basketball operations encouraged Morris to play aggressively on both ends of the floor.

“It does something to your confidence,” Morris said of the text, “just to go out there and play freely.”

Morris spearheaded the effort from Denver’s experienced backcourt. Though he and Malik Beasley combined to score the Nuggets’ first 12 points, Beasley’s performance was uneven.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte and the Nuggets are back on the court at 9 ET / 8 CT / 6 local time on ESPNU today (Monday, July 9).

• Informative
Reactions: LLCoolCY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Think Monte will be their backup PG, even before summer league moves made it seem that way. He should at least get a real shot to be this year.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I might actually try and get into the NBA this year. I’ve always despise Thibs so I couldn’t get behind the wolves ever. I guess I’ll have to jump on the Utah or Nuggets train if our Clones get contracts. I would feel too dirty cheering for Celtics even with Nader on them.

Reactions: JM4CY and Doc

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I might actually try and get into the NBA this year. I’ve always despise Thibs so I couldn’t get behind the wolves ever. I guess I’ll have to jump on the Utah or Nuggets train if our Clones get contracts. I would feel too dirty cheering for Celtics even with Nader on them.
If Niang and Monte are getting minutes, I have to go out to see family in Denver when they play.

Reactions: NetflixAndClone

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From Nuggets' Twitter account:

Floor general.

DhtZKKzVMAAMfwz.jpg