Monte Morris gave his mom a Porsche for Christmas

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Good for Monte, enjoy that success. I don’t know his story as well as I should but his mom was constantly at ISU games so it always seemed like she was a big part of his success.

**** the wal-mart warriors who think they know enough to criticize his spending choices.

Last edited:

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
And be sure to get an 8 year loan just to really rub it in.

The thread is already derailed, so I feel less guilt going off topic.

I used to write lending software, responsible for auto-decisioning a chunk of loans (there was a gray area in the middle that was sent to underwriters). First release was auto. When we put the system in place we would watch the loans roll through. It was a wild ride - 560 credit score, small income, numerous lines of extended credit - you absolutely should buy a $73,000 pickup, but do a 96 month loan to keep those payments down. Make sure to the get the steering wheel warmer.

It was pretty amazing to see what would come through there.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and aauummm

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Using the 4% rule, you'd only have $120k/year to live on, which isn't a lot.

i'm getting ready to retire with a nest egg in the vicinity of Monte's current earnings. I can assure you, we can afford everything we want so long as we DON'T want expensive houses, jewelry, cars for family, country club memberships, etc. But my income is coming to an end while Monte still has earning potential.

We all have different attitudes towards money and unless we die destitute and prostitute we've all done ok.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Using the 4% rule, you'd only have $120k/year to live on, which isn't a lot.
What world is 120k not a lot? It isn’t rich but that is significantly upper middle class at least. If you guaranteed me 120k a year for the rest of my life I’d take it. I don’t expect to ever, or at least until I’m old, but that mark.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
What world is 120k not a lot? It isn’t rich but that is significantly upper middle class at least. If you guaranteed me 120k a year for the rest of my life I’d take it. I don’t expect to ever, or at least until I’m old, but that mark.

Depends on a lot. Where you live, how many children, married or single, age, etc. If your a former NBA players that lived like an NBA player, 120k/year is like living in poverty.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Jesus, this is a stupid thread. I don't know Monte, but I do know that the kid graduated in 4 years from Iowa State and even though an injury apparently made him stay for the 4th year, he was smart enough not to leave early anyway (like Wiggs). His mom raised him on her own and by all accounts raised a pretty good kid. If he wants to buy his mom a Porshe, who the **** cares? Why should we assume that Monte isn't responsible with his money?

And the ONLY way Monte isn't going to make bank next year is if he gets injured or arrested. He's one of the top back-up point guards in the league.