Monte Morris being traded to the Wizards

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Wow. Guess this is a result of Monte being too good to be a back up.

It's never been an ideal fit because Murray isn't really a point guard, he's a small shooting guard.

So Monte as a small point guard isn't ideal to pair with Murray...but there was also always the issue of Denver not really needing a true traditional facilitating point guard since running offense through Jokic as primary handler and passer is one of the most efficient things any team could ever do.

Murray (if he's ever healthy) and Jokic is a fit. The ideal second guard in that situation is a long athletic defender to make up for Murray's lack of size. They don't need a John Stockton clone traditional point guard, they just need to feed Jokic, hit shots when Jokic gets them the ball, and defend.

I think just being healthy and doing the things he does has made him a favorite of Denver fans, coaches, media and players (and proved any team could use him)...but it just didn't quite fit perfectly and even if healthy they need perimeter length to take next step to championship level.

Washington is usually a mess, but I think he has the tools and unique ability to run an offense efficiently to be a great starter for certain teams and an elite backup for any team.

Completely unrelated...This will be Ish Smith's 13th team in 11 years!

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Two years left on his deal. Sucks it’s the Wizards but has a great opportunity to be a starter and play for a big contract.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I remember the emotional rollercoaster learning that Hornacek got traded from Phoenix to Philly. ("Yes, he is going to Philly where he can play with Barkley!" --- "Oh no, he is getting traded for Barkley!") Jeff was only in Philly for a year and a half before another team recognized his value. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows how the remainder of his career went at Utah.

The point is, if you can play and make the players around you better there is a pretty good chance that a contender will take a look at acquiring you at some point. Being able to demonstrate what he can do as the #1 at point could be just what he needs to make himself more desirable to a playoff team in the next few years.

Our fans all overreacted about Tyrese going to Sacramento too.

All he did was prove himself to be at least a top 3 rookie, one of the best passers in entire NBA, and nearly lead the entire NBA in 3pt % and steals. Now he's on more of an up and down franchise (vs an always down franchise) and all he did while at Sac was prove he's one of the top 50-60ish players on earth.

It's fun to watch players on good teams but being on bad teams doesn't kill their career.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Washington doesn't seem poised to be a playoff contender anytime soon, but adding a + player in Monte should help. I did enjoy watching the Nuggets play, and probably still will. Jokic and Murray are exciting players. Monte being on the team was kind of just the cherry on top.

Monte has played a good amount of playoff minutes (48 games 1072 minutes). It's not the worst thing in the world if he can take care of his body for an extra month or two at the end of seasons leading into his next contract.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Monte has played a good amount of playoff minutes (48 games 1072 minutes). It's not the worst thing in the world if he can take care of his body for an extra month or two at the end of seasons leading into his next contract.

Denver wouldn't have been able to retain him beyond his 2 yr contract anyway. Ultimately this is probably better for Monte $ wise. It feels like he will be able to put up some numbers, probably be a trade piece again, and hopefully be set up for 1 more big contract.

I still can't believe Denver gave MPJ what they did. That is ultimately going to hamstring them during the Jokic/Murray prime.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

dmh

Mar 25, 2017
In a way, this is a blessing in disguise for Monte.

First of all, playing with Jokic took away from all the things that made Monte special. Granted Monte adjusted but, it was clear that he needed his own team and not one with a 7 foot pg.

Second of all, there were 20+ teams that have been trying to trade for Monte so ulltimately Denver sold off while they could get the most bang for their buck. In Washington Monte should be given the keys to the bus from day 1 barrinng something completely unforseen.. They want to shore up their backcourt next to Bradley Beal. I think Beal will enjoy playing next to a pass first pg like Monte. In Denver, Monte would be returning to the bench now that Murray is back.

3rd of all- Yes the wizards have not been as good of a team record-wise but, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Denver knew Monte's value would never be higher either, mainly due to Murray. Morris is also reconnecting with his former high school teammate Kyle Kuzma. I don't know the wizards' future overall but, Monte's numbers should increase at minimum.

So even as this trade came out of left field, I think it came at the right time for all.

• Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Our fans all overreacted about Tyrese going to Sacramento too.

All he did was prove himself to be at least a top 3 rookie, one of the best passers in entire NBA, and nearly lead the entire NBA in 3pt % and steals. Now he's on more of an up and down franchise (vs an always down franchise) and all he did while at Sac was prove he's one of the top 50-60ish players on earth.

It's fun to watch players on good teams but being on bad teams doesn't kill their career.

I kinda like where Indy is going now, Haliburton, Mathurin, Duarte, Hield, Turner. Move Brogdon for a wing, lot of shooting, good size in the backcourt. Not going to win a title with that team but should be a fun team to watch. If they could somehow stumble into an elite wing, then you're really talking.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
This sucks. I was just becoming a Nuggets fan after moving to Colorado and Monte being here.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
In a way, this is a blessing in disguise for Monte.

First of all, playing with Jokic took away from all the things that made Monte special. Granted Monte adjusted but, it was clear that he needed his own team and not one with a 7 foot pg.

Second of all, there were 20+ teams that have been trying to trade for Monte so ulltimately Denver sold off while they could get the most bang for their buck. In Washington Monte should be given the keys to the bus from day 1 barrinng something completely unforseen.. They want to shore up their backcourt next to Bradley Beal. I think Beal will enjoy playing next to a pass first pg like Monte. In Denver, Monte would be returning to the bench now that Murray is back.

3rd of all- Yes the wizards have not been as good of a team record-wise but, as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Denver knew Monte's value would never be higher either, mainly due to Murray. Morris is also reconnecting with his former high school teammate Kyle Kuzma. I don't know the wizards' future overall but, Monte's numbers should increase at minimum.

So even as this trade came out of left field, I think it came at the right time for all.

I do think Monte comes out of this fine, but playing with Jokic was a blessing. Joker got him a lot of easy looks, and helped Monte rack up assists by being such an efficient scorer. Monte is many things, but he doesn't need to be the primary creator for a starting rotation.

Reactions: DurangoCy

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Monte is the kind of guard needs the ball, he was great with the 2nd unit, but good enough he deserves more minutes than a backup point guard. However, denver has jokic, who should basically have the ball at all times. Maybe the best passer in the game today. So basically Monte doesn't fit with their best lineups.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I remember the emotional rollercoaster learning that Hornacek got traded from Phoenix to Philly. ("Yes, he is going to Philly where he can play with Barkley!" --- "Oh no, he is getting traded for Barkley!") Jeff was only in Philly for a year and a half before another team recognized his value. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows how the remainder of his career went at Utah.
Being traded to the Jazz sure wasn't Hornacek's idea. He averaged almost 20 ppg for Philly and said his family loved it there. His kids didn't want to leave their school or their friends. I believe they lived on the Jersey side, in an upscale suburb.
Obviously he was traded to a much better team in Utah.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
I forget the exact details, but I think Monte got a $30m - 3 year deal. I don't think him playing more is going to substantially increase his value, he might get $15m/year just the way the deals are going, but he's not and will never be a $20m/year player.

....Haliburton, back up the truck though.

I agree he is a great role player and distributor but will never be a star.

Tyus Jones (free agent this year) may be a good comparison as a ceiling for Monte. Unfortunately I think Monte will be a couple years older for his next contract than Tyus is now. So even if he matched production his contract would probably be smaller.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
ESPN+ trade grades:

Denver C-

"Washington Wizards: A

i
From the Wizards' perspective, this move continues to spin the Russell Westbrook trade forward in ways that enhance the team's depth. Caldwell-Pope, who came from the Lakers as part of the return for Westbrook, has now turned into a pair of potential starters for Washington.

Given Kyle Kuzma came directly from the Lakers, and Kristaps Porzingis was acquired in part for a player (Spencer Dinwiddie) added via sign-and-trade expansion of the Westbrook deal, you can trace four-fifths of the Wizards' likely starting five to that transaction.

Morris in particular fills a need the Wizards have had since trading Westbrook. Dinwiddie didn't prove a fit at point guard next to Bradley Beal, but Morris' skill set should better complement Beal -- under the assumption Beal will re-sign with Washington in free agency.

Because of Morris' strong 3-point shooting (39.5% last season, right at his career mark), he doesn't need the ball in his hands when Beal is operating with it yet can take ballhandling and distribution duties off Beal's plate. Although he's proven a capable starting point guard, the two remaining years on Morris' contract ($9.1 million this season, $9.8 million in 2023-24) pay him more like a backup, which is a boon for the Wizards."

• Informative
Reactions: Tornado man