Monte Morris being traded to the Wizards

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Denver banking on Jamal Murray health seems like a risk IMO, isn't his injury history a big reason that Monte has had the opportunity to shine?
It is risky, but realistically without Murray they aren't going anywhere anyway. Might as well build the roster with that assumption and either win big or fall hard.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
IMHO, not really. The nuggets basically bounced Gary Harris a couple years ago, because Harris was 3% better than Morris (better D, but couldn't shoot) at multiple x of Monte's salary. Morris was already playing a ton then, but that allowed Morris to basically play starters minutes.

Murray tore his ACL in the spring of 2020 and has missed over a year, which is has screwed Denver for the last two playoff runs, right in the middle of Jokic's prime. Murray was pretty durable before the injury and he's still the best player in the league that hasn't been an all-star imho.

Morris was the starter ever since that happened and has been serviceable, but not spectacular. The Nuggets also likely hit a homerun with PG Bones Hyland in last years draft, so this will clear the way for him to play more.

As a Nuggets fan, and ISU alumni, this blows.
Agree with the bold, 100%.

Monte in Denver got me going to NBA games once or twice a year. Now? Probably not on the itinerary next time I’m in town.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Nuggets are getting destroyed on Twitter right now. Whatever that’s worth.
Without knowing the details of Denver’s salary situation, one would have to think that they would be getting some picks, too.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Hines sums up the trade pretty well here. If nothing else Monte will get his shot to be a starting PG on a low expectations team. He was always going to be blocked in DEN with Jokic and Murray back. I wouldn’t bet against him overachieving once again.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
IMHO, not really. The nuggets basically bounced Gary Harris a couple years ago, because Harris was 3% better than Morris (better D, but couldn't shoot) at multiple x of Monte's salary. Morris was already playing a ton then, but that allowed Morris to basically play starters minutes.

Murray tore his ACL in the spring of 2020 and has missed over a year, which is has screwed Denver for the last two playoff runs, right in the middle of Jokic's prime. Murray was pretty durable before the injury and he's still the best player in the league that hasn't been an all-star imho.

Morris was the starter ever since that happened and has been serviceable, but not spectacular. The Nuggets also likely hit a homerun with PG Bones Hyland in last years draft, so this will clear the way for him to play more.

I actually understand the move to offload Monte and have a cheap guy in Hyland that looks promising. I just don't think they got a good return on the move.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Without knowing the details of Denver’s salary situation, one would have to think that they would be getting some picks, too.
This is the prevailing mood among Denver fans on Twitter right now- “We’re getting picks out of this deal too right? Right?”

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I feel like DC as just a sports city are the least passionate fans ever idk.....wish the best for Monte but don't know if the Wizards organization is the best run

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
The part that I think is the worst is that Monte was the perfect PG to run with a point-center like Jokic. It was fun to watch them play together and Jokic seemed to really respect Monte's game.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Pwnzrschreck

Jan 10, 2015
Dport
if it gets Monte more PT, being a starter and more $ then this is awesome
That's the upshot, the downside is he's going from a team that could be a contender (assuming Murray returns to form) to a dumpster fire. Depends how much he values making more $ versus winning. He's on a team friendly deal right now, but still makes $9 million a year, which is enough to live comfortably in Denver.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That's the upshot, the downside is he's going from a team that could be a contender (assuming Murray returns to form) to a dumpster fire. Depends how much he values making more $ versus winning. He's on a team friendly deal right now, but still makes $9 million a year, which is enough to live comfortably in Denver.

I get that but I'd rather he get a chance to be a starter, more PT and a big pay day. He's earned being a starter and Denver won't give that to him.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006

As a Nugget fan, I would agree.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Sucks, but I get it. I was always hoping Monte would prove himself and they'd slide Murray over to SG as he does well off ball. Monte was consistent but just didn't give them enough. His defense against playoff PGs was not good. Bones Hyland was far less consistent, but showed flashes as a rookie of being really good. Barton is decent, but thinks he's better than his which makes him a bit of a liability. What denver needed was a solid SG that plays D. Appears this trade got playing time for Bones, removed Barton, and got them the SG they could actually use.

I know nothing about the Wizards other than they've never been good. Sigh. At least Monte should get a chance to show he really is a starter! Still want Denver to win a Championship. Also, might just become a bigger Pacers/Haliburton fan.

• Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I remember the emotional rollercoaster learning that Hornacek got traded from Phoenix to Philly. ("Yes, he is going to Philly where he can play with Barkley!" --- "Oh no, he is getting traded for Barkley!") Jeff was only in Philly for a year and a half before another team recognized his value. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows how the remainder of his career went at Utah.

The point is, if you can play and make the players around you better there is a pretty good chance that a contender will take a look at acquiring you at some point. Being able to demonstrate what he can do as the #1 at point could be just what he needs to make himself more desirable to a playoff team in the next few years.

Reactions: Beernuts and NWICY