Money and Kicking the Can down the road.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
1. Where is the money for scholarships going to come from if football is cancelled. Football pays for the AD expenses and virtually all scholarships.
2. Why do people assume that the risk to college age kids will be better by spring or fall of 2021? Coronavirus is not going away.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
1. Where is the money for scholarships going to come from if football is cancelled. Football pays for the AD expenses and virtually all scholarships.
2. Why do people assume that the risk to college age kids will be better by spring or fall of 2021? Coronavirus is not going away.

1) What are the real costs of scholarships? Throwing someone in a class doesn't really cost that much if anything at all, the class is happening anyway. Food would be something like a measurable cost. Housing is probably a fuzzy area, I would imagine that most housing at ISU is paid for and any fees paid are pure profit, minus operating costs.
2) Nobody that actually has done any critical thinking actually believes that, it is a talking point to make people feel better. Exactly like when games with reduced crowds were announced, nobody with any common sense actually thought that would happen.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

1). Jamie will be hitting up donors and any savings the AD may have. The athletic department is considered to be self sufficient so they pay the instate/out of state tuition, room and board costs, books, and what is stated as personal expenses that is listed by ISU. Quick math of 500 scholarships at 20k is 10MM.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'd assume you'll be seeing requests to issue bonds to pay for this year's expenses. Seems the only way short of funding from outside the AD which wouldn't be a positive action.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
1). Jamie will be hitting up donors and any savings the AD may have. The athletic department is considered to be self sufficient so they pay the instate/out of state tuition, room and board costs, books, and what is stated as personal expenses that is listed by ISU. Quick math of 500 scholarships at 20k is 10MM.

If every sport at ISU maxes out its allotment, that's 236 scholarships/equivalencies. The total dollar value cited by Pollard is appx. $9 million.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If every sport at ISU maxes out its allotment, that's 236 scholarships/equivalencies. The total dollar value cited by Pollard is appx. $9 million.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking real strong and just going off JP talking about 400-500 student athletes. Obviously they aren't all full ride scholarship students. Brain fart on my end. Thanks for the correction.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
The total expenses last year were, just guessing, $60 Million? Where is that money going to come from? It is more than just schollies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The total expenses last year were, just guessing, $60 Million? Where is that money going to come from? It is more than just schollies.

I know, I was just responding to your scholarship question. Our total budget was 85MM or so. We would cut some expenses and pending on what sports get cancelled, that would make a difference. I would guess if FB goes, that no way we play BB or have wrestling in the winter. So that would bury all the TV money and a lot of later donations.

Reactions: superiorcyclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So the budget was 85 MM and scholarship costs were 9 MM for all athletes on scholarship, that leaves us with 76 MM. That number would include all salaries of the coaches, upkeep for the facilities, and the day to day operations like scouting and so forth. The big number on the budget is travel, it has to cost the school serious money to fly/bus the teams around the Midwest and back, providing at least one night in hotel rooms for the teams and feeding them while they are there.
If there is no season, then that expense will not occur.
The other big cost would be loan payments on the debt for the stadium renovations, and the rest of it, but the university could bond for that money if its only for one year.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
1) What are the real costs of scholarships? Throwing someone in a class doesn't really cost that much if anything at all, the class is happening anyway. Food would be something like a measurable cost. Housing is probably a fuzzy area, I would imagine that most housing at ISU is paid for and any fees paid are pure profit, minus operating costs.
2) Nobody that actually has done any critical thinking actually believes that, it is a talking point to make people feel better. Exactly like when games with reduced crowds were announced, nobody with any common sense actually thought that would happen.
Most of football revenue has already been paid by season ticket holders, yes? Pollard will extend this as a future credit, not refunds.

Reactions: superiorcyclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

That is some wild logic. If you are not a Sales person, you should be. But you might be onto something. Kind of along the lines of George Costanza doing the opposite of his natural instincts.

It might actually work, so I should give it a try. I'll call Jamie Pollard and say "Jamie, I would like my football and hoops season tickets for free. After all, my seat didn't really add anything to construction cost of Jack Trice or Hilton. At Jack Trice, the cost of my bench seat was paid off 20 years ago." If that doesn't fly, I can always say to Jamie, Hey I am a pretty thin guy. My backside is only a foot wide, so if you can't see it to giving me the ticket for free. How about 60% of normal cost. You can pick it up from the fat dude next to me!

Getting back your original statements. I think Wendy Wintersteen and the VP of Finance are counting on the Athletic Department scholarship money to pay university costs. But then again maybe Jamie is in the basement of the Jacobson building late at night printing Cy-Bucks and shipping them over to Beardshear to pay professor salaries and keep the lights on in Curtis Hall. If the AD doesn't pay the $10M then the 30,000 other students have to subsidize the cost of athlete's scholarships.

In regard to room- most athletes aren't living in the residents halls. They are living in off-campus apartments and I am guessing just like Wintersteen, those property owners aren't going to take Cy-bucks for payment.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
That is some wild logic. If you are not a Sales person, you should be. But you might be onto something. Kind of along the lines of George Costanza doing the opposite of his natural instincts.

It might actually work, so I should give it a try. I'll call Jamie Pollard and say "Jamie, I would like my football and hoops season tickets for free. After all, my seat didn't really add anything to construction cost of Jack Trice or Hilton. At Jack Trice, the cost of my bench seat was paid off 20 years ago." If that doesn't fly, I can always say to Jamie, Hey I am a pretty thin guy. My backside is only a foot wide, so if you can't see it to giving me the ticket for free. How about 60% of normal cost. You can pick it up from the fat dude next to me!

Getting back your original statements. I think Wendy Wintersteen and the VP of Finance are counting on the Athletic Department scholarship money to pay university costs. But then again maybe Jamie is in the basement of the Jacobson building late at night printing Cy-Bucks and shipping them over to Beardshear to pay professor salaries and keep the lights on in Curtis Hall. If the AD doesn't pay the $10M then the 30,000 other students have to subsidize the cost of athlete's scholarships.

In regard to room- most athletes aren't living in the residents halls. They are living in off-campus apartments and I am guessing just like Wintersteen, those property owners aren't going to take Cy-bucks for payment.

I don't even know what you are saying here.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I am saying you have no clue.

The ISU athletic department has to pay the University for the tuition cost for student athletes. From an overall budgeting standpoint Iowa State is counting on the $10M reimbursement for tuition costs to pay teacher salaries, facility costs, etc.

Similarly, apartment owners require US dollars when athletes pay rent. So again a real expense for the athletic department.

Your logic is similar to a number of Salespeople I have worked with that ask for incremental pricing to get a deal done.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I am saying you have no clue.

The ISU athletic department has to pay the University for the tuition cost for student athletes. From an overall budgeting standpoint Iowa State is counting on the $10M reimbursement for tuition costs to pay teacher salaries, facility costs, etc.

Similarly, apartment owners require US dollars when athletes pay rent. So again a real expense for the athletic department.

Your logic is similar to a number of Salespeople I have worked with that ask for incremental pricing to get a deal done.

You sound like a lunatic.

I was talking about getting through one season.

1597272159036.png

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You sound like a lunatic.

I was talking about getting through one season.

View attachment 74291

Doesn't change the answer. Iowa State relies on the athletic department tuition & room money to cover costs. ISU waives that money for 1 year, that increases the number of university employees Wendy Wintersteen would have to lay-off.

Maybe you didn't see the news but ISU is projected to run a deficit of something like $70M due to lost revenues and increased costs due to the pandemic. I don't think that includes recent news from the legislature they were further cutting funding for Iowa's 3 public universities.

So if there was a fiscal year ISU was relying on tuition & room reimbursement from the Athletic Department, this is the year.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Doesn't change the answer. Iowa State relies on the athletic department tuition & room money to cover costs. ISU waives that money for 1 year, that increases the number of university employees Wendy Wintersteen would have to lay-off.

Maybe you didn't see the news but ISU is projected to run a deficit of something like $70M due to lost revenues and increased costs due to the pandemic. I don't think that includes recent news from the legislature they were further cutting funding for Iowa's 3 public universities.

So if there was a fiscal year ISU was relying on tuition & room reimbursement from the Athletic Department, this is the year.

Do you live on planet Earth?

• Dumb
Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Do you live on planet Earth?

Yes Finance person so I know how budgetting process works.

People also immediately say, issue debt to pay for the deficits. That might be a good solution at University level. Only problem is someone has to be willing to lend/invest.

Help Support Us

Become a patron