MONDAY MUSINGS: The biggest reason for Iowa State's turnaround

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Lima does not get moved at all. Even when double teamed, he's just an anchor that lets Lanning and Spears make plays. Unbelievable that he's only a sophomore.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Rush defense is without a doubt the biggest reason for Iowa State's considerable improvement to date, with accolades for the improvements that all of the squads have made.

BUT: I'd argue that a turnaround hasn't been achieved until the Clones reach the point where they're no longer 30+ point underdogs to anybody.

They're no longer speeding down the first big hill on the roller coaster, yeah, but there still are more steep hills and sharp curves to get past before the end of the ride.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Defense/Defense adjustments. I honestly was against the 3 man rush for the Texas game, but it has grown on me. It is beneficial for air raid offenses and QB containment, which is the majority of the conference. I hope we switch back to a four man rush for K-State. They seem more similar to Texas, and we saw how that went.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Defense/Defense adjustments. I honestly was against the 3 man rush for the Texas game, but it has grown on me. It is beneficial for air raid offenses and QB containment, which is the majority of the conference. I hope we switch back to a four man rush for K-State. They seem more similar to Texas, and we saw how that went.

Defense wasn’t the problem against Texas. So if Kansas State is similar to Texas, the 3 man front should work.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Defense wasn’t the problem against Texas. So if Kansas State is similar to Texas, the 3 man front should work.
K-State is even more run first, so I still think the 4 man front would be better. But you are right that it wasn't a defensive issue against Texas.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
The 3 man rush has been effective, but is so stressful to watch. I feel bad for the 3 linemen that get double-teamed every pass play - that must get frustrating. Plus, it's so hard to watch opposing QBs have so much time back there.
But, so far, it's hard to argue with the results.

We may give up more 3rd down conversions than anybody wants, but we have been exceptional at not giving up the big plays.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The closing speed on defense just when it looks like the opponent has found an opening has been most impressive--the difference between having bunch of guys that are fast and having actual team speed. Been some very nice pursuit; that takes a lot of discipline and chemistry.

I think the team plays really hard too but in a controlled manner.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
The more consistent offense and kicking game have really helped this defense as well. Seems like we have been pinning a lot of teams inside the 20.