MONDAY MUSINGS: Let's talk realistic expectations for next year

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Jacobsen averaged about 6 points and 5 rebounds playing about 60 games as a freshman and sophomore. He also had the second most fouls of anyone on those teams. So he will need to have developed considerably in the sit-out year to be much help next year. I hope he has but will believe it when I see it or when CSP states it as fact.

There has been a lot of rumors from the local media that Jacobson has impressed the staff and will have a significant role next year. Averaging 5 and 6 as a freshman/sophomore in a P5 conference is pretty respectable. A year off to work on his weaknesses I expect solid play from him and Young playing the 5 next year. Jacobson only needs to rebound and provide a defensive presence next year for the team to succeed, I am pretty confident he can do that.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
There has been a lot of rumors from the local media that Jacobson has impressed the staff and will have a significant role next year. Averaging 5 and 6 as a freshman/sophomore in a P5 conference is pretty respectable. A year off to work on his weaknesses I expect solid play from him and Young playing the 5 next year. Jacobson only needs to rebound and provide a defensive presence next year for the team to succeed, I am pretty confident he can do that.
I think the simple fact that we will have MJ guarding opposing teams 4's and 5's rather than Beverly is already a massive upgrade. And like you said, it sounds like Prohm has loved his work ethic and has a solid offensive game, so it will be a significant jump for the team

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
ISU fans need to start thinking of JTS like they think of Hilton, especially with 7 home games this season.

We need to make the South End Zone into a house of horrors for visiting teams. Let's make use of those metal bleachers and stomp so loud that the visiting team can't hear themselves think!

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I see 9-3 football regular season with a good bowl win for a 10 win season. I think expectations within the team are higher than that and I love it.
I had us pegged at 7-5 last year but I had the OU & Iowa games flipped.

Basketball is more fuzzy. I think as the team gels, we have tremendous progress thru the season and they're one of the hottest teams. Tournament birth as 7-10 seed.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Please give me your feedback here, guys. Am I too, up down on the teams? Just right? This was a fun talk with my friends. Looking forward to your input.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2018/04/monday-musings-lets-talk-realistic-expectations-for-next-year/

Overall analysis: With less depth and talent than it will have in 2018, Iowa State surprised everyone to rattle off eight wins......Key words here.

I expect ISU to be much improved. I expect each BIg XII team to be improved.

I don't expect OU and TCU to lie down and be run over next year.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Overall analysis: With less depth and talent than it will have in 2018, Iowa State surprised everyone to rattle off eight wins......Key words here.

I expect ISU to be much improved. I expect each BIg XII team to be improved.

I don't expect OU and TCU to lie down and be run over next year.

I don't think OU and TCU just lied down last year. OU just played like idiots, getting caught on a lot of personal fouls and getting burned on press coverage against Lazard. No excuses for TCU, they just plain got beat. It wasn't like ISU hadn't beaten anyone all year when they came to Ames. Maybe they were not real inspired that day, but who's fault is that.

I do expect a much cleaner, more focused game out of OU this year, but is OU going to be as good next year? Most likely taking a step back at QB, and as long as Mike Stoops is in charge of their defense, there are going to be boneheaded plays made.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Football:
Personally, I am expecting 7 wins in the regular season again. The front end of the schedule is pretty tough. Knocking off OU again (early) would be very interesting though. A win like that again, early in the year, would most likely make the program very visible nationally again.

Still though, that front end is going to be tough, and most likely ISU is going to get the best effort from the Big 12 this year, as we aren't sneaking up on anyone. I love that Kempt is back too, the dude is simply a winner. What a story. If Campbell keeps these guys believing, I hope they blow the doors off of my 7 win prediction.... because that level of wins just isn't good enough for him IMO.

Question, does ISU start the year ranked?

Basketball:
I'm expecting Coach Prohm to getting ISU back in the NCAA Tourney, where this program belongs. I am also expecting the team "gelling" early in the year, because, quite frankly, they have to. That Maui Invitational is loaded and Coach needs to have his line-up ready to go. Really wanting an awesome showing there as it is a very visible Tourney nationally. I think they end up top 5 in the Big 12 standings and most likely a 6-10 seed in the NCAA Tourney. Shayok is going to be a stud though and Wigs will be back. Expecting big things from the guards this year.

Cyclone Warning!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: wgleason

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody else getting uncomfortable with all the positivity here? It feels weird getting my hopes up for football and basketball in the same year!

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Anybody else getting uncomfortable with all the positivity here? It feels weird getting my hopes up for football and basketball in the same year!

Not at all. This is what happens when you have good coaching. I mean, when I look at ISU football, for 30 years the University hired Assistant Coaches to take on our Head Coaching role. For the most part, that didn't work. No offense to Coach Mac, as he got the ball rolling finally in FB for the most part, just couldn't get the program where we all want it to be (a major player in the Conference, etc...) But he had some fine years for us. It was always hard for those Assistant Coaches to build their programs with other coaches.

Enter Campbell, whom was already tenured as a Head Coach. He brought everyone on his staff from Toledo, and things have been a lot smoother in transition. I believe that has helped ISU more than anything.

Hoops, Prohm has already won us a Big 12 Tourney Title and gotten us to the Sweet 16. His recruiting class is pretty baller for this season too. The transition year (Hoiberg recruiting-late Prohm) plus the myriad of injuries hurt only for this past season. We all knew it was a possibility. He'll get ISU back in the Tourney. One year skids happen to non-blue bloods.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The nut cup Clone fan in me agrees, but man I am as excited for this football season as any one I can remember. Just so many guys coming back on this team that played winning football, plus all of the explosive players we have not or barely seen. Kene, Lang, Matt Leo, Re-al, etc. OL is still the biggest concern.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
My expectations 7-5 with a + or - 1:

Football

Wins
SDSU
Akron
West Virginia
Texas Tech
@ Kansas
Baylor
K State

Losses
@ Iowa
Oklahoma
@ TCU
@ Okie State
@ Texas
I agree with this. I think ISU loses one of the games you have above and wins one of the games you have below for a 7-5 record as well.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I agree with this. I think ISU loses one of the games you have above and wins one of the games you have below for a 7-5 record as well.

Could easily see 8 - 4 just as easily as could see 6 - 6. The expectation I think going in should be 7 - 5. Have to get that damn K State team jinx off the back especially last game at home. One would have to think Snyder about done this year. Good to have Kempt back for the away environments which will be tough ones. He's run the gauntlet before.