MONDAY MUSINGS: Let's talk realistic expectations for next year

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
For football, my concerns:
1) OC Position: I think Manning did more than anyone knows. I have confidence in MC, but if he has to handle this, does something else slide?
2) Leadership: Lazard and Lanning were two of the best leaders we've had. Who fills that void?
3) Luck: We are not going to lose 0 fumbles again.

For basketball, I think the talent is there. My concern is we are bringing back a team that literally packed it in early last year. Some of it was by design (shutting down NWB and Solo due to injuries) and some was not (where did Lard go?). It just left a bad taste with me where we finished up and I hope it does not permeate into next year.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
No simple answer in either case. It wouldn't shock me if FB regular season is only 6-6, with bowl result pending. That ought to be the low end, otherwise it burns a lot of momentum gained last year. It isn't out of line to expect 8-4 regular season. I don't trust my Kool-Aid goggles enough to project 9-4-plus.

It's difficult to gauge MBB's realistic range of expectation. I'll say the floor is 17/18 wins/NIT — a .500 or below season would be an absolute failure in my book. For realistic ceiling, I'll put it at 22 regular season wins, upper division finish in Big 12, 5 seed in NCAAT.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I think 2019 is more likely the payoff year in football - you have to like the home/road flip a lot better, still 7 home games

There are 6 home games in 2019. We have discussed this at length previously how stupid it is we schedule just 6 home games every other year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There are 6 home games in 2019. We have discussed this at length previously how stupid it is we schedule just 6 home games every other year.

Who is the 3rd OOC game? Iowa States website is showing it as TBA.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Fball season has some crucial games early on. Would be amazing to get either @iowa or OU at home.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Football: Every loss last year was because of the inability to finish. I think the fact that they finally did against Memphis and Campbell used that situation the way he did will go a long way in teaching these guys to close out games in 2018. O/U:8.5 (I would confidently bet the over)

Basketball: It's all about gelling. Shayok is a huge addition like Chris said. I think Talley is a wild card in the Cyclones' favor. Jacobsen will help with front line depth but I don't see him being a huge contributor. Will Lard mature? Can THT step right in? Is Babb healthy? A lot of questions but a lot of potential. O/U: 18.5 (I would reluctantly bet the under)

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Football: Every loss last year was because of the inability to finish. I think the fact that they finally did against Memphis and Campbell used that situation the way he did will go a long way in teaching these guys to close out games in 2018. O/U:8.5 (I would confidently bet the over)

Basketball: It's all about gelling. Shayok is a huge addition like Chris said. I think Talley is a wild card in the Cyclones' favor. Jacobsen will help with front line depth but I don't see him being a huge contributor. Will Lard mature? Can THT step right in? Is Babb healthy? A lot of questions but a lot of potential. O/U: 18.5 (I would reluctantly bet the under)
I think MJ will be a bigger contributer than you are thinking.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Great run blocking is done by big, physical, mean, and nasty men. Something that is very hard to coach. In fact, it really needs to be recruited. It's a big reason why a new coach can't come in and magically transform his old OL into great run blockers. Campbell brings in a guy like Knipfel and he's immediately considered one of the best of the group.

Pass protecting is very technique based. Requires great feet and hands and really just a great scheme in general. You saw Campbell come in and improve sack numbers from 42 in 2015 all the way down to about a dozen in 2016 and 2017.

The run blocking will improve (significantly) when some of these young guys are ready to step in. Hudson, Bolton, Kleinow, Downing, Ramos, Newell etc

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Let's be honest, the only reason we won any home games last year is because we switched to the west sideline.

And next year, add in the fact that we'll have entirely new uniforms and we could go undefeated.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Who is the 3rd OOC game? Iowa States website is showing it as TBA.

3rd OOC is still pending. But go back and look at our schedule history. Every year we have two home OOC games. Every year. Just two.

So the only thing that varies is home conference games. One year we have 4, the next we have 5.

So unless in 2019 we inexplicably end a long-standing pattern, there will be 6 home games.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
3rd OOC is still pending. But go back and look at our schedule history. Every year we have two home OOC games. Every year. Just two.

So the only thing that varies is home conference games. One year we have 4, the next we have 5.

So unless in 2019 we inexplicably end a long-standing pattern, there will be 6 home games.

I fully understand our history but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they buck the trend. Iowa State can afford "buy games" but that wan't the case just a few years ago. I swore there were non con games scheduled through like 2022 but now Iowa States website is only show a schedule until 2020. Makes me wonder if CMC has requested the extra home game.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I think MJ will be a bigger contributer than you are thinking.

Jacobsen averaged about 6 points and 5 rebounds playing about 60 games as a freshman and sophomore. He also had the second most fouls of anyone on those teams. So he will need to have developed considerably in the sit-out year to be much help next year. I hope he has but will believe it when I see it or when CSP states it as fact.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Jacobsen averaged about 6 points and 5 rebounds playing about 60 games as a freshman and sophomore. He also had the second most fouls of anyone on those teams. So he will need to have developed considerably in the sit-out year to be much help next year. I hope he has but will believe it when I see it or when CSP states it as fact.
I agree, but even as the same player that got recruited over at Nebraska he will still have a significant impact due to being a lot better than our back-up forwards from this year. His defense is better than we played last year imo.

He may not be an upgrade or a different type of asset, but we’ll be much more immune to foul trouble and off-nights. I do wonder if Javan White won’t end up better, but it does make sense to get the sure thing.

cyclone19702

Sep 4, 2015
I'm expecting to win more football games this year for the basic fact that the big 12 will not be as good as last year. Lost a lot of top end talent at qb and tech, kansas, and baylor should stay near bottom. Only way we miss a bowl game is losing compusure after our tough schedule to start the season.