Monday Musings: ISU makes another commitment toward winning in football

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Iowa State will never produce top 25 recruiting classes in football. You can write that down in permanent marker right now.
Could have once said that about Northwestern. And Vanderbilt. Ole Miss. Oh, and Baylor....

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
While cool, given the note about no longer having graduate assistants for S&C isn't this pretty much a zero sum change? We have the same number of people working in the weight room. We just are calling them something different.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Chris Williams, 2 things I don't appreciate from your Musings,

1. Your pessimism regarding recruiting, one never knows.

2. The blue balls I now have thanks to the title

Jimlad Implied. Keep up the good work.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
While cool, given the note about no longer having graduate assistants for S&C isn't this pretty much a zero sum change? We have the same number of people working in the weight room. We just are calling them something different.

I'd say it's quite a bit different. I know nothing about what GA's do, but the learning curve for them has to be much steeper and having to replace GA's every year versus the stability of two more full time "permanent" staff seem like positives.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
I'd say it's quite a bit different. I know nothing about what GA's do, but the learning curve for them has to be much steeper and having to replace GA's every year versus the stability of two more full time "permanent" staff seem like positives.

This exactly. These guys will be able to stay within the program and see what does and doesn't work for each player. I'm guessing they'll play a much more strategic role than the GAs did.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The title isn't misleading. It's only misleading if you read "makes" and think "gets".

The front page just says "Another Big Commitment" which could be seen as misleading.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Chris Williams, 2 things I don't appreciate from your Musings,

1. Your pessimism regarding recruiting, one never knows.

2. The blue balls I now have thanks to the title

Jimlad Implied. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! And regarding No. 1, I hope like hell that Paul Rhoads (or any other Iowa State coach in the future) proves me wrong someday!

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Is physical proximity seriously still a recruiting tool? Waco Tx is not a destination

Absolutely it is. Why do you think the Big Ten has fallen off like it has over the last decade? When the majority of college football players (SI just did a piece on this that was very interesting) are located in the southern half of the USA, the schools in the south absolutely have an advantage. No, Waco might not be West Palm Beach, but kids from Texas sure as hell know who Baylor is - much more than say, Iowa State, Kansas State or Indiana (to name a few).

Iowa State uses "we are guaranteed to play in Texas twice a year" to recruit Texas kids. Think about what Baylor can say.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Our location has a HUGE effect on our recruiting. Not just because we're the northern most school in the Big 12, but we're in the middle of Iowa people.... Not many people think about going to Iowa for a whole lot besides getting some corn, and this little gem 'people live there?!'.

Our proximity to pretty much nothing, the lack of things to do, and the lack of a large name brand is exactly why we can't get 5 star recruits here. They don't care about the name so much as they care about winning and getting stats on the board. That's a tough thing to compete with against, Oklahoma, Baylor, Okey State, Texas, Texas Tech, etc who all happen to be within a few hours drive of one another, and also just happen to be where around half the Big 12's recruits come from. Of course it matters....

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Our location has a HUGE effect on our recruiting. Not just because we're the northern most school in the Big 12, but we're in the middle of Iowa people.... Not many people think about going to Iowa for a whole lot besides getting some corn, and this little gem 'people live there?!'.

Our proximity to pretty much nothing, the lack of things to do, and the lack of a large name brand is exactly why we can't get 5 star recruits here. They don't care about the name so much as they care about winning and getting stats on the board. That's a tough thing to compete with against, Oklahoma, Baylor, Okey State, Texas, Texas Tech, etc who all happen to be within a few hours drive of one another, and also just happen to be where around half the Big 12's recruits come from. Of course it matters....

I don't think location is an issue, or Nebraska never could have mattered. We just weren't good in the early days when people were building traditions.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I don't think location is an issue, or Nebraska never could have mattered. We just weren't good in the early days when people were building traditions.

In case you haven't noticed Nebraska is not all that great anymore. I mean, barely top 25 and they have fantastic name recognition and brand value. Why are they a shell of their former self? Recruits are from the south and if you give them a choice of Lincoln, Nebraska and (X southern school) they are picking the southern school close to home a majority of the time.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
In case you haven't noticed Nebraska is not all that great anymore. I mean, barely top 25 and they have fantastic name recognition and brand value. Why are they a shell of their former self? Recruits are from the south and if you give them a choice of Lincoln, Nebraska and (X southern school) they are picking the southern school close to home a majority of the time.

But they were, and had a tremendous run. We never had that run, not because of location, but just didn't get the job done.

Those southern places actually attracting talent tend to have pretty solid tradition. Location is just a nice thing on top of that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron