Mohawked Kindergartner Suspended

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
What do you think of this story??

Kindergartner suspended for Mohawk - Education - MSNBC.com

I've been seeing little kids with these haircuts, and while I think the trend is ridiculous, how does it warrant a suspension?

The school said it was distracting, but when I was in kindergarten, looking at the fat kid in front of me in gym class with his crack showing was darn distracting, too, and he got to stay in school.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Its dumb in the fact that this kid has a mohawk, but he should not be suspended. The parents beaten yes. I had some folks in highschool who had weird piercings, haricuts, and clothes and it was only distracting as long as you make it that way. I usually forgot about it a few days later and moved on.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
That is BS kid should not be suspended and really if the kid wants a mohawk he has the right to.. people in schools are having some major power trips...along with a few others

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
After that quick read... I think that the parent is making the correct decision to transfer to a different school. Got a feeling everybody will be happier. Hopefully a quick transfer and this matter will be put to rest. I am wondering though, what were this kid's first two infractions? Parents must be real winners.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What a weak mohawk. Gel it, spike it and die it green with kool-ade, then come get me until then let the kid stay in class and eat his paste.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Another example of school systems trying to extend their authority beyond their bounds. What ever happend to schools just trying to teach kids things instead of trying to endoctronate kids into believing into what they want them to.

I am going to end up getting my kids kicked out of school at some point in my life, I just know it.

frontrangeclone

Apr 11, 2006
Cache Valley
twitter.com
hey, this story is finally some good news in the War against liberals and freedom of expression! this is America! CONFORM!!!

that was sarcasm.

seriously though, how distracting can it be after a few days? kids/people get used to something... "oh, thats just billy with the mohawk" or whatever his name was.. I used to have to wear a patch on my right eye in elementary b/c of extreme myopia in my left eye (and ironically enough I was a hawk fan growing up!), that caught the attention of my classmates for about a week or so, then I was just known as the kid with the patch on his eye....

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Man that's some bull****

Mohawks are a good way to make a first impression. I garuntee you that my advisor will never forget me, no matter how hard he tries :biggrin:

4 or 5 years later he still brings up my red mohawk (that I wore to the last basketball game my freshman year)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
nelsonhaha.jpg

Dumb parents, kids that age shouldn't have mohawks. In fact anyone that has one has a fashion issue possibly...

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Mohawks for some reason became popular with little kids, I thought that trend would have died by now (given that I first noticed it several years ago as a lifeguard)

It's dumb but it's no reason to suspend a kid from school

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Lets teach this kid a lesson by expelling him because of his hair style. As an added bonus we can rob him of his education too. If he's lucky he can put together a promising career in Punk music.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I must have been lucky in high school... not only did I color my hair for Green and Gold day during homecoming week, but I also managed to talk some of my teachers into letting me color their hair, and would color other people's hair for them at lunch

Not to mention in February at the end of swim season there was crazy cuts :cool:

My favorite, from Junior year (by the way the school librarian took these for me...)

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Mohawks for some reason became popular with little kids, I thought that trend would have died by now (given that I first noticed it several years ago as a lifeguard)

I concur. My cousin's kid got a mohawk. He loved it. His Dad loved it. But..fortunately it was very short lived. A few other kids in his school were doing it. By ignoring the haircut the whole problem went away. My cousin's school system did it right.

It sounded as thought this school, from the above link, is quite conservative. I'm just guessing from the uniform and the ultra conservative viewpoint from the administration. Apparently this kid can't play basketball, or they'd overlook it.

After a quick re-read, it says it's a community school. I take that to mean public school. Makes this even weirder.

Last edited:

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I understand it's hard to be a teacher or administrator, but some of this is getting out of hand.

My boy got sent home from Kindergarten last year because he was playing with a friend, and non-maliciously pushed the kid down and threw grass on him. Now, this was wrong, and he heard this from me, but he spent an hour in the principal's office crying and had this go in his permanent file.

If I had done this growing up, I would have been punished by spending the rest of recess sitting against the school building, and would have apologized to the playmate. My boy is truly not a troublemaker at all, and had no previous altercations whatsoever.

Needless to say...he's in a different school now. I suppose schools are so afraid of lawsuits and parents these days, and this is why these decisions are made.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Should the school start suspending the ugly kids too?

How about the smelly ones??? We all know those were more distracting than a hair style.

What in the hell is this world coming to?

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
How about suspending all the girls in my spanish class that wore thongs and t-shirts that left a several inch gap between the shirt and the pants, such that when they leaned forward at their desk you could see the thong half way up their back?

It's no wonder why I can't hardly speak spanish, it was impossible to learn in that kind of environment!

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis

Actually, the kids are organizing for a jump into France to help libertate the country.

(WWII reference. Look it up. 101st Airborne.)