Modern Newtons, Einsteins

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yes Hawking for sure. Eckhart Tolle? He wrote the book "The Power of Now". Basically he illustrates that consciousness does not really need humans and is about done with us, Unless we morph or change. If not, consciousness will just find another form. In order for the human race to survive at this point it has to be aware of ego and it's addiction to form identity and how it controls thoughts and behavior. Really good stuff.
Sorry, Tolle does not sound like a Newton or an Einsterin. He sounds more like a science fictoion write like Asimov.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
The problem is that what Newton and Einstein had to do to prove themselves was (relatively) easy. Especially in Newton's case (thinking about it some more, I'm not gonna argue the einstein point.) . Things that some of these 'great minds' did, people now have to do in normal classes. Heck, on a weekly basis, I have to do proofs for fluid dynamics that people got to use as doctoral dissertation topics up until about 50 years ago. It takes a whole lot more to stand out now than it did 400 years ago.

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
The problem is that what Newton and Einstein had to do to prove themselves was (relatively) easy. Especially in Newton's case (thinking about it some more, I'm not gonna argue the einstein point.) . Things that some of these 'great minds' did, people now have to do in normal classes. Heck, on a weekly basis, I have to do proofs for fluid dynamics that people got to use as doctoral dissertation topics up until about 50 years ago. It takes a whole lot more to stand out now than it did 400 years ago.

Hence the phrase "I stand on the shoulders of giants".

I think only time can tell who are the geniuses of our time. Once we are all retired, maybe then in hindsight we'll be able to see who is worth a history book page or two.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

Not true at all. These proofs that you and every other engineering student do in class were astronomical discoveries at the time. The theorems and equations were created from little knowledge of the topic back then. I think that right now we are just figuring out what Einstein, Newton, etc had outlined. Once these topics get fully mastered is when the modern day Newtons and Einsteins will step forward

All of these equations and theorems that you use in your classes seem very simple because they are right there layed out for you. When you actually think about how someone even thought of that idea it shows how smart these guys really were

Last edited:

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
"Standing out" in your time is relative. Newton's work now seems elementary now, but at that time (the man invented calculus) it was way beyond his peers. It is not any more difficult now to do that than it was 400 years ago. Also, I agree with the argument that you do not become distingished until years after you're accomplishment has occurred. In fact, I would argue that the accomplishment is not as important as someone recounting it to the next generation. That's what makes a person legend.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I mostly agree that the separation of years makes posthumous legends, but this isn't always the case. Einstein was so revered that he made headlines for his scientific findings...he was as close to a "rock star scientist" as you can get.

Also, take a guy like Humphrey Davy...he invented the safety lamp, and instantly saved the lives of thousands of miners. That's pretty badass for a living scientist, and he was lauded for it in his lifetime.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Two fields that certainly contains some modern "Newtons, Einsteins" would be medicine and computers.

I agree, but medicine is really genetics. People like Mendell and Darwin are just as important as Newton or Einstein. Darwin changed science and religion forever.

Computers and Genetics are the frontiers IMO.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I agree, but medicine is really genetics. People like Mendell and Darwin are just as important as Newton or Einstein. Darwin changed science and religion forever.

Computers and Genetics are the frontiers IMO.

Medicine is really genetics? How is doing things like open heart surgery genetics?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Medicine is really genetics? How is doing things like open heart surgery genetics?

Most new medicine is based from genetic research, not procedures. Cancer is a genetic problem. HIV is a genetic problem. Heart disease is a combination of genetics and environment, in my business its cleverly called G x E. Genetics is the future of medicine (and agriculture) where the hope is to prevent most procedures before they are needed.

And believe it or not, but almost all of what we know about genetics comes from fruit flies and a stupid weed called Arabidopsis.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Most new medicine is based from genetic research, not procedures. Cancer is a genetic problem. HIV is a genetic problem. Heart disease is a combination of genetics and environment, in my business its cleverly called G x E. Genetics is the future of medicine (and agriculture) where the hope is to prevent most procedures before they are needed.

And believe it or not, but almost all of what we know about genetics comes from fruit flies and a stupid weed called Arabidopsis.

Next I suppose you're going to tell me that E.coli can have a plasmid inserted to make insulin? :jimlad:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Sorry, Tolle does not sound like a Newton or an Einsterin. He sounds more like a science fictoion write like Asimov.

Sound like? So have you read the book or audio book? I disagree with your notion because I have an advantage over you, I have read the book.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Next I suppose you're going to tell me that E.coli can have a plasmid inserted to make insulin? :jimlad:

What the hell is a plasmid?:jimlad:

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 100 years. Besides going faster than light in a spaceship, we're kind of heading for a Star Trek world. Hell, we just found our first potential colony on planet Gliese 581. To bad its 20 light-years away.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
While I admittedly haven't read any Eckhart Tolle, and have no doubt that he may be inspirational to people, his niche seems more mystical/spiritual than scientific. For that reason, I personally wouldn't put him anywhere near Einstein or Newton.

But that's just me...

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
While I admittedly haven't read any Eckhart Tolle, and have no doubt that he may be inspirational to people, his niche seems more mystical/spiritual than scientific. For that reason, I personally wouldn't put him anywhere near Einstein or Newton.

But that's just me...

True to a point, and it may appear that way on the surface, but The gap is closing to what is considered mystical and science. It is more intertwined than thought. Einstein knew this and of course touched on this stuff as well. He always believed in a universal energy or consciousness/undercurrent and was in the process of developing a way to prove it. As I said, Einstein intuitively knew a lot of things, but he couldn't explain it in scientific terms at the time. Tolle and others are taking it a step further. Science has always lagged behind what is there but has not been quantified. For example, some people have a 6th sense. I work next to a guy that has intuition off the charts. He can feel a market go up or down but can't give a scientific step by step process on how to do it. Well, now science is discovering that most people have intuition, but most people rely only on their left side of their brain for everything so the intuition( a right brain activity) is never developed. The people that have it, the sense is just as strong as taste, sight, hearing, and smelling.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron