MLB: MLB Offseason Winter 22-23

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I am a White Sox fan all the way! Over the years I have enjoyed cheering for the Dodgers...but that is not as much the case in the past 5 or so years since they have become the Yankees of the west coast! I still enjoy watching them but they have morphed into a team what will simply buy players (and they still happen to do alright developing some as well). That said...I don't want Judge to go to the Dodgers...ugh! For some reason if he leaves NYY, I could accept "rooting" for him (seems like a very nice person) as a Giant moreso than a Dodger. Betts and Judge next year in the same OF...maybe this is just jealousy on my part because my White Sox (the owner) would never buy a player of this caliber and Jerry Reinsdorf has the money...he just won't spend it in that way so .500 seems to be the realistic expectation every year!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think the Giants are going to land at least 2 big names 1 position player and 1 pitcher for sure. Seems like they are in win now mode and have a good roster to add to and are ready to spend some $. May be the biggest competition for Judge it feels like.

As a Cubs fan I am hoping they at least get one of the big name SS and 1 of the better SP which would signal they are serious about competing again. Pretty sure they are moving on from Contreras but would not be surprised if they go out and sign another veteran catcher as Gomes is serviceable but also going to be 36 and PJ Higgins is OK but better used as a utility guy that can also play some catcher too. Could easily see the Cubs signing or trading for a stop gap CF and 1B on a 1 or 2 year contract as insurance if Mervis is not ready to be the full time 1B and while they are loaded with OF prospects its not a given any of them will be ready to contribute right away in 2023. 3B is an area they could improve at too if the right player becomes available as Wisdom is not a long term piece.

Cubs have plenty of payroll to make a splash if they want to and will have even more in 2024 when Heyward's 22 mil and Hendricks 14 mil comes off the books plus they have a 6 mil club option on Gomes they could decline so That's 42 mil minus the 5 mil they have deferred payment on Heyward's contract so 31-37 mil more potentially freed up on just 2-3 guys alone after 2023 they should be considering right now too. Also have to decide do they extend Happ or try to move him for more prospects. Looking at their long term contracts right now I'm going to be frustrated if they go cheap once again in free agency with all this payroll flexibility they will have: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-cubs/yearly/payroll/ Only Stroman and Suzuki are signed to any kind of significant long term deals and everyone else is team controlled or arbitration eligible for the next few years: Chicago Cubs Multi-Year Payroll | Spotrac

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I think the Giants are going to land at least 2 big names 1 position player and 1 pitcher for sure. Seems like they are in win now mode and have a good roster to add to and are ready to spend some $. May be the biggest competition for Judge it feels like.

That would make for 3 darn good teams in that division! Padres, Dodgers and Giants fighting it out all summer would be a fun watch late at night from the midwest!

Reactions: CYdTracked

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
welp, i guess the Cardinals won't be getting Trea Turner. That's a huge deal he's getting from the Phillies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here you go Yanks fans:

Cashman sucks. Probably not going to bother renewing my MLB team subscription next year. I'll have to keep on top of it though, it's one of those ******* things they like to auto-renew you for.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If Turner goes for 300 mill I guess I'm fine with the Cubs sitting this shortstop market out and figuring it out from within. That's an insane contract.