MLB: ***MLB Off-Season Thread***

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
MLB Players Association is opposing any shortening of the season unless they get their full pay. The team owners would likely be fine with chopping off a month and cutting salaries. The Arizona peeps only want a delay so hopefully things calm down in AZ and they can host out of state travelers and make money. It all about the money, nobody actually cares about the support workers or citizens that live in AZ, it just sounds good and better than saying "We wanta make our money" and the risks are worth that to me.

I'd be fine with starting two weeks later in April and ending two weeks earlier in the fall. Time to take it to a 140 game season.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Schilling is being punished for his politics and stuff he's spoken out about since he retired and not getting voted in for his baseball accomplishments like the HOF is meant to be voted on. I get that he has some pretty far out there views and said some stupid things but you can't tell me there aren't other a-holes in baseball too that have done some crappy things and still have been voted in or will be in the future.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve been to Cooperstown and I’m a baseball purist in my views about many things but the hall is broken and needs to change and it’s shooting itself right in the crotch and hurting what it could become. The sad thing is that I doubt it ever changes.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Twins signing one of the best fielding SS in the game is a good move. Now, get Cruz back on board.
We absolutely need Cruz. A vet bat in the lineup and the locker room would go a long way. Need some relief help too

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Schilling is being punished for his politics and stuff he's spoken out about since he retired and not getting voted in for his baseball accomplishments like the HOF is meant to be voted on. I get that he has some pretty far out there views and said some stupid things but you can't tell me there aren't other a-holes in baseball too that have done some crappy things and still have been voted in or will be in the future.

I would venture to guess the MLB doesn't want to do too deep of a dive into the ideology of many of it's past stars.

Count me in as thinking it's stupid to keep him out. I get gone off the deep end a bit, but the idea of discrediting his baseball accomplishments because you don't like his opinions is asinine.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would venture to guess the MLB doesn't want to do too deep of a dive into the ideology of many of it's past stars.

Count me in as thinking it's stupid to keep him out. I get gone off the deep end a bit, but the idea of discrediting his baseball accomplishments because you don't like his opinions is asinine.

The Morning Rush discussed this today and 1 name that came up was Ty Cobb. Great baseball player, questionable character as a human being off the field. HOF should be about your accomplishments on the field as I am sure there are people in the hall of fame prior to social media that had controversial views on things just like Schilling but never got the attention it does today. Heather was a little hypocritical by trying to say the argument about Schilling is not about his politics yet she said something like why not engrave one of his tweets on his bust to serve as a record or something like that which is exactly using the political argument if you say his tweets and controversial things he has said is the reason he is not getting voted in. Travis also mentioned 14 writers left empty ballots this year too which is embarrassing. You can't tell me there wasn't at least 1 name on the ballot worthy of the HOF? Some of the guys who got between 30-50% of the vote are very worthy of it. Helton, Sheffield, and Jones are 3 that should be getting way more votes than they are. I get why the steroid era guys are failing to get enough votes too, I'm torn on that because they actually were cheating or at least enough reason to believe they were but never tested positive for roids but even without the roids most of them probably still have HOF careers. I look at the NBA HOF and first name that came to mind was Dennis Rodman who had plenty of character issues of the court yet it did not keep him from getting in.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tanaka is heading home to pitch in Japan for his old team. One of the few guys who opted out of Tommy John and had it work for him, pitching with a rehab'd tear for all of these years. Been pitching with that since 2014 with everyone expecting it to blow up on him. Still only 32 years old.

1611943082578.png

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I've decided to dub the Yankee rotation as Cole and The Question Marks. Tanaka, Paxton and Happ gone and Severino out with Tommy John. The Question marks: Kluber, some tall guy they traded for coming off his 2nd Tommy John , that guy coming off domestic abuse suspension, some lefty and a bunch of rookies. So basically an injury prone ex-ace, an injury prone never been, a troubled kid, a serviceable lefty and rookie cookies. Woof.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Sad to see him go but he wasn't worth the money he's was making. If the big 3 of Arenado, Blackmon and Story had to go Arenado would be the one I would part with first without hesitation.
Why Arenado over Blackmon? Arenado is 5 years younger and has 12.7 WAR since 2018 compared to Blackmon's 5.7.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron