Mizzou vs Iowa State - Big12/SEC Challenge - 1/21/2022

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Full schedule

Missouri at Iowa State
Baylor at Alabama
Kentucky at Kansas
Kansas State at Ole Miss
Oklahoma at Auburn
Oklahoma State at Florida
LSU at TCU
Tennessee at Texas
Mississippi State at Texas Tech
West Virginia at Arkansas

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Love this!!

Hosting our former rival! Mizzou is now forecasted to be very good in 2021/22

You mean they are forecasted to be not very good, correct?

Lose 5 of their top 7 scorers. Picked up DaJuan Gordon who was not very good at KState and a couple guys who were solid starters on MAC teams. Their top returner, forward Kobe Brown, averaged 8 and 5 as a sophomore last year.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
So in this challenge, we have played:

Auburnx2, Arkansas, A&M, Vandy, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Miss St and now Mizzou. I wanna say Auburn, Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss and Tennessee were all top 25 teams at the time.

Haven't played:

LSU, Bama, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky

I know we haven't always loved our matchups but I think they've done a pretty good job mixing things up while still creating good games.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You mean they are forecasted to be not very good, correct?

Lose 5 of their top 7 scorers. Picked up DaJuan Gordon who was not very good at KState and a couple guys who were solid starters on MAC teams. Their top returner, forward Kobe Brown, averaged 8 and 5 as a sophomore last year.
He was making a joke.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
So in this challenge, we have played:

Auburnx2, Arkansas, A&M, Vandy, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Miss St and now Mizzou. I wanna say Auburn, Arkansas, A&M, Ole Miss and Tennessee were all top 25 teams at the time.

Haven't played:

LSU, Bama, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky

I know we haven't always loved our matchups but I think they've done a pretty good job mixing things up while still creating good games.
We played Alabama and South Carolina the last few years also but it wasn't in the challenge.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Are we still going to play Oregon State next year?

I thought they owed us a return trip to Hilton after we went out to Corvallis.

Any notion of one last year died with COVID, but I thought it was delayed not cancelled.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Missouri is projected as #129 on Bart Torvik.

#12 in the SEC, ahead of only Texas A&M and Georgia.

It's interesting that a known cheater like Tom Crean can't win anymore. I guess he can't hang with the SEC when it comes to bag men. He can't last much longer there.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Are we still going to play Oregon State next year?

I thought they owed us a return trip to Hilton after we went out to Corvallis.

Any notion of one last year died with COVID, but I thought it was delayed not cancelled.

Hopefully not, our non-conf is already stacked with enough Power 5 teams next year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's interesting that a known cheater like Tom Crean can't win anymore. I guess he can't hang with the SEC when it comes to bag men. He can't last much longer there.

I had not noticed this before, but Sahvir Wheeler (the 5'10" PG who decommited from Texas A&M when they fired Billy Kennedy that we thought we might have a shot with because of the Kennedy/Prohm connection) left and will be playing in Lexington, Kentucky next year. So there went their best player.

Hopefully not, our non-conf is already stacked with enough Power 5 teams next year.

True enough for next year, but might be nice to have in our back pocket for the year after.

I like seeing unique high-major teams playing in Hilton. I have some nostalgia for watching us play Oregon State in Ames when I was in school (when Craig Robinson was their coach).

Plus it is just fair... we did make the trek out to Oregon to play them. Their turn.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Love the timing as well. I know it’s during conference, but I got to think we will hitting some stride with a new team vs playing earlier. Hilton should be fun that day.

Reactions: NoCreativity

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I never minded Mizzou that much. I mean, no less than some of the teams in the Big 8/12.

I don't appreciate their exit, but it'll be fun to play them again.