Mitch McGary?

Dingus

May 23, 2013
FWIW Caris Levert (6-6 185) has been starting in place of McGary at G in Michigan's 2 games so far, and I expect that to continue vs. us. Scored 17 and 24 in their 2 games so far. Never heard of him so previously wondered if Fr Zac Irvin would start, but either way expect them to go 'small' against us if McGary is out.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
If McGary is out, we match up pretty well with them. Niang/Edozie can be on Horford/Morgan and then Michigan doesn't have another player over 6'6". Hogue vs. Glenn Robinson will be a fun match up and with our bigger guards Kane/Thomas/Naz we will match up nicely against Stauskas, Walton, Levert.

If we are shooting well, we have a very legit chance

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I was told by a Michigan fan that McGary isn't expected back until the Puerto Rico tip off, and he isn't even practicing yet, so he's probably not playing.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If McGary is out, we match up pretty well with them. Niang/Edozie can be on Horford/Morgan and then Michigan doesn't have another player over 6'6". Hogue vs. Glenn Robinson will be a fun match up and with our bigger guards Kane/Thomas/Naz we will match up nicely against Stauskas, Walton, Levert.

If we are shooting well, we have a very legit chance

We have to shoot it well. I think Michigan is better this year than they were last year. I think, by the end of the year, Lavert will be every bit as productive as Burke. That guy could be a nightmare. They had been playing Horford a lot but it will be interesting to see if they go with Morgan to defend Niang. Morgan is a really good defender inside. This game could be awesome to watch. I expect a lot of offense.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
great, sounds like he is playing. Just been nothing but good news this week.

Funny how people read things differently, the time is right points to the Puerto Rico tourney, play 3 games in the same location for several days, no travel. He was on a call promoting the tournament.

Remember people were saying December, if he comes back on the 21st that is an accelerated time line.

That is how I read it anyway.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I don't think McGary will play, but they still have two pretty good posts in Horford and Morgan. The Wolverines play a lot like Iowa State, surround their athletic posts with a bunch of shooters. Going to be a tremendous game.

Nic Stauskas scares me a LOT more than an injured McGary.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

He hasn't even practiced with the team yet. Just individual non-contact work. Just a little gamesmanship IMO.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
McGary had a good run in the tourney, but I'm not really scared of him returning from an injury too early and out of practice with the team. If he wants to jump in cold, at Hilton, be my guest.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don't know if he'll play this Sunday or not... Still even if he suits up, he wouldn't be in condition or have practice time.

Joe Stapleton @joe_stapes Follow At press conference, John Beilein said Mitch McGary is progressing, now getting reps in practice with individual no-contact drills.

3:04 PM - 11 Nov 2013

I'd be willing to bet that he plays.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I don't see why you are freaking out. It says they still don't know when it's going to be and he'll return when he returns. They were happy to get him back in practice and to do limited stuff. I don't interpret it as he'll be back Sunday, more so for the Puerto Rico games.

I just hope we don't rush Ejim's return and keep him at limited use if he does play. More is at stake with conference play vs 1 game.

Anyways, I'm excited for this fast paced game on Sunday. With UNLV calling for Rice to be fired already, this is where we need to really take the reigns and move ahead. I can't wait to hear all the Vaughn chants. KU last year was so loud and I hope this game is louder!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The guys WRNL interviewed today from Michigan said no way he suits up Sunday

http://www.widerightnattylite.com/2013/11/15/5105906/lets-talk-michigan

What's the final word on Mitch McGary's playing status? If he is out, who becomes the go-to post player and how does it change how Michigan plays?
He is not playing. His lower back "condition" which sounds way worse because it seems like the kind of thing we are going to be hearing about all year. I doubt he makes it back until December at the earliest, and even then they will work him back into the rotation slowly. We might not see the real Mitch McGary - whatever that is - until February.
Without McGary Michigan will have to scrap its off season plans at running a two big lineup. Beilein might roll it out here and there during the game, but it hasn't been effective even against poor competition and Michigan will need its best players on the floor in this one. Those are Michigan's deep, talented stable of wings with GRIII at the four and probably Jon Horford and Jordan Morgan splitting time at the five. Horford is more athletic but foul prone. Morgan is a heady defender and rebounder, but he won't generate much offense that isn't served up to him on a silver platter.

Help Support Us

Become a patron