Missouri downsizing stadium capacity ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
They've just put up a new website for the expansion project. It includes an interesting stadium history.

With all the negatives on campus there, I'd be a bit worried about the financial commitment. But their SEC windfall probably covers the debt service.

http://mizzousouthend.zone/

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What is the purpose of cash if it doesn't lead to success? TV money for the SEC is marginally higher than the Big 12. What they gained with TV money they might have losing with ticket sales and donations since their support has clearly dropped.

I could be wrong, but I thought that each member school in the Big 12 received around 30 million last year from tv and media rights. If Missouri got 40 million from the SEC, that difference would be more than marginal.

Plus in 2011 and 2012 the Big 12 was on the verge of collapse. Missouri bailed when they had a chance. If presented with the same scenario, I think they would do the same thing and I don't blame them. It's sort of a crappy seat at the table, but it's still a spot at the table and one they weren't guaranteed to have if they stayed in the Big 12.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I could be wrong, but I thought that each member school in the Big 12 received around 30 million last year from tv and media rights. If Missouri got 40 million from the SEC, that difference would be more than marginal.

Plus in 2011 and 2012 the Big 12 was on the verge of collapse. Missouri bailed when they had a chance. If presented with the same scenario, I think they would do the same thing and I don't blame them. It's sort of a crappy seat at the table, but it's still a spot at the table and one they weren't guaranteed to have if they stayed in the Big 12.

Just to be clear, they thought they had a B10 invite in their pocket IIRC.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
They placed themselves into irrelevancy by joining the SEC. They have no rivals, basketball completely tanked (might be back for one good year) and football has fallen off now too. They can't be happy in the SEC. West Virginia isn't real happy with their geographic location in the Big 12, but at least they are having some success. Missouri has nothing.

Haha yep and they even got shoved in the SEC East.

I remember when A&M got accepted to the SEC it was a big deal. Then later on they were basically like "Oh I suppose we can take Missouri to even the numbers"

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Just to be clear, they thought they had a B10 invite in their pocket IIRC.

Fair enough. Even then, my point still stands that they knew it was their best interest to jump ship - SEC or Big Ten, either was a better option with what they knew at the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Hell Baylor's got a tarp they can sell them for a lot less than that.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It'll will be interesting to see if Missouri fills their memorial for the SEC opener. Last I heard, they may be around 60k or 10k short. Probably depends on how many USC,e fans show for the game.