Minnesota beats ISU (secret scrimmage)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Another thing to take out of this: how often did we see Jacobson and Halliburton go 2-10 on threes last year? Not often, if ever. This was a historically bad shooting game.

They've been bad all throughout practice according to Prohm. Probably just this team.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Naz is an example of a guy that wasn’t ready to contribute as a freshman for many reasons, but was a major factor as soon as his second year.
Lard is an interesting case. Physically he probably could have contributed in the spring of 2017, but apparently the staff felt needed to redshirt.

Leech seems like he’s another exception, but guys that aren’t close to contributing as freshman also have a high correlation to guys that are recruited over. It’s not that they couldn’t develop into major contributors in a couple years, but that we often can’t afford to wait.

lard was nowhere near ready emotionally as a 21 year old after being babysat for two years. I can’t imagine what he would have been like as a true freshman.

leech was a star recruit before he got hurt. The risk of giving him a year to get stronger and there are enough good players on the roster now that he can have that time.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
dc83a709-f68e-49fc-af6a-debe6c5af2f8_1.3817bb50de27fdd53d845a04a7155ec5.jpeg
shopping

• Funny
Reactions: Die4Cy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
lard was nowhere near ready emotionally as a 21 year old after being babysat for two years. I can’t imagine what he would have been like as a true freshman.

leech was a star recruit before he got hurt. The risk of giving him a year to get stronger and there are enough good players on the roster now that he can have that time.
The unfortunate thing is that Lard at 21 was very much like Lard as a true freshman.

It’s been awhile and a major injury since Leech was a star recruit, so it’s hard to know what his future holds. Without the redshirt he’s likely not playing much anyways. The redshirt is more about 4 years from now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've always believed in recruiting only guys that can shoot. Fred seemed to do that pretty well. He'd have 5 guys on the court that could all shoot from deep. That's really hard to defend.

If you can't put the ball in the basket, you're in deep trouble. I haven't been very impressed with Nixon at all from everything I've heard and seen. I guess he's supposed to be a really good defender, but IMO you need to bring more to the table than just that. He didn't even shoot well in the Cap City League.

Like any team, on nights we shoot well, we'll win, and nights we don't, we'll lose. Pretty simple. You just better hope you're a good enough shooting team to have a lot more good shooting nights than poor shooting ones. Thus far, this team doesn't seem to be full of many good shooters. At the open practice everyone said they shot horribly too.

And btw... Minny is picked to finish about 10th or 11th in the B1G this season... they are not supposed to be very good at all.

Can't wait!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What's the record for the earliest met-down thread for a basketball team? Two weeks before the season even starts has to be up there.

This has to be it. I don't think last year's losses in the scrimmages evoked such a weird response by so many.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm not panicking at all right now.

I'm just saying that you can't be a terrible shooting team and have success. It doesn't work that way.

I'm still hopeful we will end up being a good enough shooting team.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This thread is so meta.

Sure, there are a few inarticulate ******** making the same unfounded criticisms they always do, but I think most reputable posters on here realize this is a scrimmage, super early, and this team is likely to be a work-in-progress to begin the season.

We seem to want to freak out about a freak out that is not happening.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This thread is so meta.

Sure, there are a few inarticulate ******** making the same unfounded criticisms they always do, but I think most reputable posters on here realize this is a scrimmage, super early, and this team is likely to be a work-in-progress to begin the season.

We seem to want to freak out about a freak out that is not happening.

It’s entertaining to watch the usual call-out culture fans race to see who can first meltdown over meltdowns.

• Funny
Reactions: psychlone99

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
What is the full story with Leech?

- I know he had the horrific injury, but didn't he play pretty well in Cap City?
- Did he take a leave from the team this summer? Is there more to this than I recall?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've always believed in recruiting only guys that can shoot. Fred seemed to do that pretty well. He'd have 5 guys on the court that could all shoot from deep. That's really hard to defend.

If you can't put the ball in the basket, you're in deep trouble. I haven't been very impressed with Nixon at all from everything I've heard and seen. I guess he's supposed to be a really good defender, but IMO you need to bring more to the table than just that. He didn't even shoot well in the Cap City League.

Like any team, on nights we shoot well, we'll win, and nights we don't, we'll lose. Pretty simple. You just better hope you're a good enough shooting team to have a lot more good shooting nights than poor shooting ones. Thus far, this team doesn't seem to be full of many good shooters. At the open practice everyone said they shot horribly too.

And btw... Minny is picked to finish about 10th or 11th in the B1G this season... they are not supposed to be very good at all.

Well they may win the unofficial title of meaningless scrimmage champion. Can't ever take that away from them!

Not sure why CSP's past history at ISU isn't actually celebrated as a harbinger of future success.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm not panicking at all right now.

I'm just saying that you can't be a terrible shooting team and have success. It doesn't work that way.

I'm still hopeful we will end up being a good enough shooting team.

And I'm saying you can't be 6'4" and call yourself a midget.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron