Minnesota beats ISU (secret scrimmage)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
im not even a fan of the one formally known as the mayor, now known as the traitorous former mayor, i was simply pointing out that he ran plays, out of timeouts especially, they have youtube videos of all his crazy offensive plays he had. its simply a fact that prohm runs more of a rhythm type offense that hasnt been that effective at all really ever considering the players we had. i think you need phenom smart tough pg to run his system and wigg was supposed to be the guy but then he wasnt and now he gone and now we gotta bunch of bigs.

i dunno wut language you using but you say we are not gonna be good because we lost our leaders and tuff pg who could run around and run things but he didn't but you think we lost our leadership and so now we not going to be good and I just think you are another idiot troll guy who doesn't know balling but know how to watch youtube and saw some kewl things there and now you know everything and want to come here and show that but you shouldn't so go away.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
It appears Solo got 6 fouls in this game, so it's not like they actually follow the real rules in a super secret scrimmage. ;)

On a positive, If we can shoot FT's like that all year we will win a lot of games at the stripe!

Reactions: Bubba Hubba

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
A head scratcher for me is we are pretty much on board with our players that CSP had brought in and then often times we hear they're struggling to shoot the ball. Got to be able to score to win the game! Anyway excited for the season but plenty of football left.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Got about 3 posts in to this thread and I already hate our dumb ****** basketball fans and the hok troll projecting his FRan insecurities on our program.

Over an October scrimmage. Might have to consider a hiatus from here during hoops season.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The math of the redshirt rule works out whether you use it as a freshman or as a transfer sit-out. Either way you retain eligibility for a year you weren't going to play. Problem with waiting to use it in case of transfer is that you might not want to transfer... and then you've just sacrificed a year of eligibility for 20 mop-up minutes your freshman year.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
i dunno wut language you using but you say we are not gonna be good because we lost our leaders and tuff pg who could run around and run things but he didn't but you think we lost our leadership and so now we not going to be good and I just think you are another idiot troll guy who doesn't know balling but know how to watch youtube and saw some kewl things there and now you know everything and want to come here and show that but you shouldn't so go away.

i was talking about this with a buddy of mine.

If this years team plays for each other, and tries their asses off to defend and win 50/50 balls, they have a chance to be decent.

last year’s team had toughness moments, you don’t win in Lubbock without being tough, but they also were very fragile. There really wasn’t a leader in the group. Marial never had to be that at Virginia.

mike tried to assume the role after the horse had left the barn, but I don’t think he was respected by the guys he needed to be respected by.

I think this team is going into the season with at least 3 guys that are respected by everyone, and that includes mike this year. But tyrese and Solomon are also guys that have people’s attention too.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Over an October scrimmage. Might have to consider a hiatus from here during hoops season.

it’s gonna be bad. The crew is pissed Campbell is doing what Campbell does.

they’re going to have a lot of pent up anger to unleash on prohm.

but at least you know the level of basketball knowledge you’re dealing with when they post.

I am still kind of perplexed @Tornado man hasn't been here to let people know how much more knowledge our coaches have than the people here being stupid.

Reactions: Die4Cy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Apologize for being ignorant, but am curious. For many people degrees take longer than 4 years. If you do not redshirt and complete your eligibility in 4 years, do you still get the free ride until you graduate? If not, then as far as 'education' goes, I'd think it would be smarter to redshirt, gain an extra year of education, space out the educational requirements, and be able to focus more closely on basketball after the redshirt year.

Good question and point. The answer is yes on aid after four years. We have athletes on scholarships who no longer have eligibility. Not on the rosters obviously. Heard this directly from the AD this summer.

Obviously this isn't an endless commitment but if a guy has made good progress and needs a semester or so to complete a degree we support them.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If Leech doesn’t want to redshirt than I don’t want him to be redshirted. I just think it’s strange how against it people are. If Leech doesn’t redshirt and then has 3 good years to follow it, I’m sure people will wish he had redshirted as a freshman so he’d have a 4th year to play. I think wasting the year of a talented player who probably isn’t ready to play in year 1 is just pointless.
Naz is an example of a guy that wasn’t ready to contribute as a freshman for many reasons, but was a major factor as soon as his second year.
Lard is an interesting case. Physically he probably could have contributed in the spring of 2017, but apparently the staff felt needed to redshirt.

Leech seems like he’s another exception, but guys that aren’t close to contributing as freshman also have a high correlation to guys that are recruited over. It’s not that they couldn’t develop into major contributors in a couple years, but that we often can’t afford to wait.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007
Solo gets 6 during the year, too -- gives a quick, angry stare to the refs at number 5 and they'll decide to leave him in.

It appears Solo got 6 fouls in this game, so it's not like they actually follow the real rules in a super secret scrimmage. ;)

On a positive, If we can shoot FT's like that all year we will win a lot of games at the stripe!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've always believed in recruiting only guys that can shoot. Fred seemed to do that pretty well. He'd have 5 guys on the court that could all shoot from deep. That's really hard to defend.

If you can't put the ball in the basket, you're in deep trouble. I haven't been very impressed with Nixon at all from everything I've heard and seen. I guess he's supposed to be a really good defender, but IMO you need to bring more to the table than just that. He didn't even shoot well in the Cap City League.

Like any team, on nights we shoot well, we'll win, and nights we don't, we'll lose. Pretty simple. You just better hope you're a good enough shooting team to have a lot more good shooting nights than poor shooting ones. Thus far, this team doesn't seem to be full of many good shooters. At the open practice everyone said they shot horribly too.

And btw... Minny is picked to finish about 10th or 11th in the B1G this season... they are not supposed to be very good at all.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Even here in Gopherland the story will be about them beating Rutgers, not winning a double secret scrimmage that nobody got to watch. :rolleyes:

Hey, the Star Tribune did have a couple of paragraphs on the scrimmage in this mornings paper. On page 15 of the sports section. ;)

And, yeah, it's still a real live newspaper with a 16 page sports section on Sunday with only two ads (one full pager for the Timberwolves and one small biz ad).

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
I see this season starting similarly to the 17-18 season. Lose a few discouraging ones early but for the most part win the ones we’re supposed to and lose the ones we’re supposed to. Then if we’re lucky we can avoid the injury bug and this team can elevate its game enough to make the tourney, instead of falling into complete chaos.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Puma? Is Fila not available?

dc83a709-f68e-49fc-af6a-debe6c5af2f8_1.3817bb50de27fdd53d845a04a7155ec5.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I've always believed in recruiting only guys that can shoot. Fred seemed to do that pretty well. He'd have 5 guys on the court that could all shoot from deep. That's really hard to defend.

If you can't put the ball in the basket, you're in deep trouble. I haven't been very impressed with Nixon at all from everything I've heard and seen. I guess he's supposed to be a really good defender, but IMO you need to bring more to the table than just that. He didn't even shoot well in the Cap City League.

Like any team, on nights we shoot well, we'll win, and nights we don't, we'll lose. Pretty simple. You just better hope you're a good enough shooting team to have a lot more good shooting nights than poor shooting ones. Thus far, this team doesn't seem to be full of many good shooters. At the open practice everyone said they shot horribly too.

And btw... Minny is picked to finish about 10th or 11th in the B1G this season... they are not supposed to be very good at all.

Well at least if we’re bad, you will be happy. The last three weeks of football has had to be tough for you.

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Another thing to take out of this: how often did we see Jacobson and Halliburton go 2-10 on threes last year? Not often, if ever. This was a historically bad shooting game.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum