Minnesota beats ISU (secret scrimmage)

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Did we really think we would already be a finely tuned machine after our roster turnover? Bolton will not always shoot that poorly, nor will Tyrese. Nixon is coming off of a concussion. It will take some time, but we will be ok. Growing pains to be expected.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Nobody reshirts unless they are injured.
*Nobody at ISU. It happens at other schools more frequently than people think. Iowa just redshirted two guys last year. Baylor has had some success with it. If you think a guy is going to contribute for you in his career, I don’t see why a redshirt doesn’t make sense if somebody isn’t quite ready. I don’t even know why I’m making an argument though for it because I know how people view the redshirt debate.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
*Nobody at ISU. It happens at other schools more frequently than people think. Iowa just redshirted two guys last year. Baylor has had some success with it. If you think a guy is going to contribute for you in his career, I don’t see why a redshirt doesn’t make sense if somebody isn’t quite ready. I don’t even know why I’m making an argument though for it because I know how people view the redshirt debate.

I actually agree leech should probably redshirt and get healthy and stronger

Reactions: Thompsonclone

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
It’s a scrimmage.
I have a feeling this is directed at me but all I did was post the boxscore and a few nuggets from the game.

Today’s outcome doesn’t impact how I view about the season. I think this team can finish as high as 2nd in the Big 12. I’d put us in the 2-7 range and get a tournament birth.

Nixon is just getting back from some injuries, ISU didn’t shoot well, got outrebounded, have a ton of new guys and still managed to get the game to OT against a Big 10 school on what was clearly an off day. I’m excited to see how this team does this year.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I actually agree leech should probably redshirt and get healthy and stronger
He’s so talented that I’d hate to see us waste a year. I think it makes sense in his case just because of how much time he missed this summer being back home, how severe his injury was and so he can get stronger. I just feel that his situation is unique and it makes sense for him. Best case scenario would be he doesn’t redshirt and he finds a way to get minutes because he could help us score if it’s needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That's probably better than I would have thought.

Scrimmages are just that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Not reading much into this. Curious how we have fared in these "secret" scrimmages in the past as pretty sure we lost some under Hoiberg too. We lost 3 guys to the NBA and a 4th who entered the draft too. Lot of new parts and roles being worked into this roster so it's going to be a work in progress early. Glad to see Solo did well. We really need him healthy this year and he's probably the glue guy on this team.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Not reading much into this. Curious how we have fared in these "secret" scrimmages in the past as pretty sure we lost some under Hoiberg too. We lost 3 guys to the NBA and a 4th who entered the draft too. Lot of new parts and roles being worked into this roster so it's going to be a work in progress early. Glad to see Solo did well. We really need him healthy this year and he's probably the glue guy on this team.
I’m pretty sure we went to OT against Tulane in the practice facility a few years ago. I believe it was when Monte was a senior. I remember Emmanuel Malou was on a visit and he was messaging me about the game saying how it was in OT and we eventually won. So like you said, you really can’t read into these scrimmages.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I’m pretty sure we went to OT against Tulane in the practice facility a few years ago. I believe it was when Monte was a senior. I remember Emmanuel Malou was on a visit and he was messaging me about the game saying how it was in OT and we eventually won. So like you said, you really can’t read into these scrimmages.
Yeah, I think coaches are more worried about trying different lineups to see what looks best and less concerned about winning or losing these things.