Milwaukee beer questions

Discussion in 'Beer' started by Messi, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Messi

Messi Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
    1. Will beer be sold in the arena for the games? Not sure how that works with this being an NCAA event.
    2. What breweries are good for touring / tasting ?
    3. What bars close to arena should I stop in at before games? I see ISU Alumni Association is hosting a pep rally at a few places

2. CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Professor, Geology
    If Blatz is still around, stay away from it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Cardinal2001

Cardinal2001 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Programmer
    Ames
    Schlitz is the shizz, though. If you can find Shotz, buy it!

4. delt4cy

delt4cy Well-Known Member

May 11, 2006
    RE Investments
    Milwaukee, WI
    1. I don't believe Beer is sold, unless you have suite. -Wasn't in Chicago at the Sweet 16 last year from my memory.

2. Don't do Miller. The two best tour options are Lakefront Brewery and Milwaukee Brewing Company. Great local/regional breweries and fun tours. Miller is ok, but very sanitized tour.

- I actually own a Distillery attached to the Milwaukee Brewing Company and we'll be hosting Cyclone fans Thursday and holding a big event Friday, hoping we win of course. We have tours and tastings as well. Central Standard Craft Distillery www.thecentralstandard.com

3. Bars by the stadium. McGillicuddys is a little bro douche, ok, bet eh. Was a go to spot when I was 22. RedRock is a good country bar and that's where my group will probably head given the ISU AA tweet. You're all more than welcome to come by the Distillery at 613 S 2nd Street. About 1 mile south of Stadium in a cool neighborhood. We'll have drink specials for Cyclone fans all weekend.

Better bars by stadium are:

1. Buck Bradley's right by the stadium. Classic Marquette pre-bar
    2. Definitely stop in at the Old German Beer Hall for a Liter - classic German Milwaukee
    3. Trinity and the Harp just east of the river are huge big bars too. Will be a circus on Friday-

Hoping the clones get out of Thursday, Friday is St. Patrick's Day and the bars in Milwaukee will be wild!

Looking forward to seeing Cyclones in Milwaukee!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Miller Lite town, enjoy.

6. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I've heard that Lakefront does one of the best beer tours, period.

Their Fixed Gear is my favorite hoppy red.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. delt4cy

May 11, 2006
    RE Investments
    Milwaukee, WI
    Lakefront is solid. They used to have the best tour no question. They grew significantly and have tapered back on the fun and beer poured. Still very cool and I would recommend it. Tickets sell out fast and with all the schools in this weekend will definitely be a hot ticket.

If you want lots of pours and a better atmosphere imo, do the MKE tour. Or you could do both-

I'm working with the MKE owner to hold tickets for Cyclones and we're having a joint event on Friday. Will have details soon-

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Male

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Messi

Messi Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
    @delt4cy thank you so much for the info! Excited to see what details you have for the event Friday.

Going to need some food to soak up all this beer. What places would you recommend?

10. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    MKE makes some wild beers. I've had them be hit or miss, but there's no shortage of imagination or envelope pushing there.

11. Pille1895

Pille1895 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Third Ward is a great place to hang out for both eating and drinking just south of downtown. I'm a big fan of the burgers and bloodys at Cafe Benelux.

12. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I'd suggest doing a visit to Sprecher. Free beer for you, free sodas for wife and kids. :)

Be sure to get some New Glarus in before you leave WI

Swingin Door is my favorite downtown bar

And please God don't go to the touristy Safehouse.

13. Pille1895

Pille1895 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ale Asylum has a brew pub downtown as well. One of my favorite Wisconsin breweries.

• Like Like x 1
  14. runbikeswim

runbikeswim Active Member

Oct 23, 2014
  15. Jacktronic

Jacktronic Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Male
    Kansas City, MO
    Did the Lakefront tour a few years ago, one of the best I've been on. Highly recommended.

Ate at the Palomino bar while there as well, excellent fried chicken. http://palominobar.com

16. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Delt, this question is not meant to be mean but just safe, if you are at the 2 bars ISU is suggesting, and walk over to the Bradley center for our session, will it be ok to walk back after our game? I know there are no guarantees but I mean just generally. TIA.

17. delt4cy

May 11, 2006
    RE Investments
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes. Downtown and anywhere south/east side is very safe with lots of foot traffic. People park and walk from these areas to Bucks/Marquette games nightly. Downtown and Third Ward areas are very well kept, clean, and safe.

Generally speaking, the areas that I would not want my wife walking alone would be anywhere west of I 43 (N/S) and anywhere north of I-94 (E/W). I have a little bro in the local Big Brothers program and there are areas in that ~10/15 mile quadrant that are as bad as anywhere in Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    I will also throw in a vote for MKE, they have some good stuff.

19. Chitowncy

Chitowncy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Ames
    That's awesome. Love Will Ferrell.

And yes, Lakefront Brewery is cool. What about PBR? Are they still in Mil-e-wau-K. It's algonquin.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    Great Lakes Distillery is the ****, Lake Front is amazing