Miller's prediction & comments. OUCH!!!!!

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Head to head? You want to use a single head to head matchup to decide if you are on equal footing?

Why is it now bowl wins in the last 10 years? In your earlier post you were using a 15-20 year time period? It might have something to do with the Gophers winning 3 bowl games in those years you conveniently decided to remove form your criteria.

10>8.

But I guess I did ask you to find anything you were at least comparable to Minny with. You may have had to move the time period 10 years but you found it.

And I didn't bother to look up the attendance stats because Iowa fans sold out the Metrodome every 2 years before TCF was built.

Yeah, and they also managed to have publicized adultery in a bathroom stall and attempt to carry the goalposts out a revolving door.

As far as comparing to Minnesota, you said "anything" and I found those things within 30 seconds on their wiki page. My point was that ISU compares closer to Minnesota than Indiana and I think that anyone without a bias would agree. That said, I don't think that any BCS school should aspire to be Minnesota of the last 10-20 years.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
And feel free to correct me but the last I checked the record books list Iowa as Big 10 champ most recently in 2004.

*Co-Champs. Details... But I wouldn't expect you to pay attention to those. And the answer to the question is 1990.

Regarding 2002, I recall what happened. I was at the metrodome when you *** hats tried to take a goal post through a revolving door and Brad Banks was walking around with a rose in his mouth.

I used to pull for Iowa when they weren't playing ISU but mouth breathers like yourself have now made that impossible.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
*Co-Champs. Details... But I wouldn't expect you to pay attention to those. And the answer to the question is 1990.

Regarding 2002, I recall what happened. I was at the metrodome when you *** hats tried to take a goal post through a revolving door and Brad Banks was walking around with a rose in his mouth.

I used to pull for Iowa when they weren't playing ISU but alumni like yourself have now made that impossible.

FIFY

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
They would have been in the Rose Bowl after the 2002 season but the Orange got to select an at large team before the Rose and took the Hawks.

I wouldn't expect ISU fans to know much about the BCS selection process.

I love your original content. Hardy Har Har!

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Can you guys please quit quoting section8? It makes the ignore feature kind of pointless when he gets quoted, thanks

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I used to pull for Iowa when they weren't playing ISU but mouth breathers like yourself have now made that impossible.

I used to pull for Iowa when they weren't playing ISU but alumni like yourself have now made that impossible.
FIFY

The two are not mutually exclusive when it comes to sports fandom.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Couldn't you make this claim about OSU in 2002 as well? Both Iowa and OSU got to avoid teams that went 8-0 in conference play.

And actually the cheapest conference title is winning the conference basketball tourney and claiming that you are the conference champs.

Do you really think OSU would have lost to Iowa in 2002?

On the second one, um ok. In the Conference tourney you do play the other top teams in you conference to get the title of Tourny Champs, and get that auto NCAA bid.

FG80

Sep 20, 2012
It's funny you think ISU would make a bowl most years if they played in the B1G. ISU football is like Indiana football, except ISU doesn't have a competent offense.

The rest of your post was pretty "meh".

IMO, Iowa State would probably finish middle of the pack in the B1G. They probably would make bowl games most years because of all the tie-ins.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Do you really think OSU would have lost to Iowa in 2002?

On the second one, um ok. In the Conference tourney you do play the other top teams in you conference to get the title of Tourny Champs, and get that auto NCAA bid.

If they would have played during the regular season or there would have been a B1G title game in 2002 it would not have been shocking to see Iowa beat OSU. That team was rolling in October and November.

You aren't guaranteed to play all the top teams in a conference tourney setting, most times you will play at least a couple but you wont see all of them. Don't get me wrong, you have to be talented to win a conference tourney but a lot of times it's all about who can get hot for those 3-4 days.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
IMO, Iowa State would probably finish middle of the pack in the B1G. They probably would make bowl games most years because of all the tie-ins.

Who would ISU be better than in the B1G? For arguments sake we can just use the CPR era and look forward from there.

MSU, Michigan, OSU, Iowa, Wisky, PSU, Nebraska and Northwestern have all had more success in the past 5 years and it's not even really debateable.

So that leaves Minny, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois. The only 2 programs that an ISU fan can make a strong case that they are better than right now in the B1G are Purdue and Illinois. If ISU was the 13th member of the B1G they would enter the conference about 11th in the pecking order, not exactly middle of the pack.

I know I didn't include Maryland and Rutgers.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Who would ISU be better than in the B1G? For arguments sake we can just use the CPR era and look forward from there.

MSU, Michigan, OSU, Iowa, Wisky, PSU, Nebraska and Northwestern have all had more success in the past 5 years and it's not even really debateable.

So that leaves Minny, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois. The only 2 programs that an ISU fan can make a strong case that they are better than right now in the B1G are Purdue and Illinois. If ISU was the 13th member of the B1G they would enter the conference about 11th in the pecking order, not exactly middle of the pack.

I know I didn't include Maryland and Rutgers.

IMO, the thing you are missing is that those B1G teams play each other in conference. Weak conference equals weak schedule.

ISU is 2-3 versus Iowa over the last 5 years. Could be reasonable to conclude that ISU should be able to at least get somewhat comparable results to what Iowa has had during the CPR era. You neglect to consider that a team like Iowa can completely avoid playing the B1G power teams thus skewing their results indicating greater success. And having 4 non-conference games. And a minimum of 7 home games.

IMO, if you want to include ISU in the bottom of the B1G, you need to really drop Iowa, and Northwestern, down a peg for sure. They should not be included in the same sentence with the better teams in the B1G. ISU would probably be on a par with Iowa and Northwestern. So include them with that grouping.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If they would have played during the regular season or there would have been a B1G title game in 2002 it would not have been shocking to see Iowa beat OSU. That team was rolling in October and November.

You aren't guaranteed to play all the top teams in a conference tourney setting, most times you will play at least a couple but you wont see all of them. Don't get me wrong, you have to be talented to win a conference tourney but a lot of times it's all about who can get hot for those 3-4 days.

Who were the great teams that Iowa played in football in the 2002 season?

They played like only two rated teams the whole season.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
IMO, the thing you are missing is that those B1G teams play each other in conference. Weak conference equals weak schedule.

ISU is 2-3 versus Iowa over the last 5 years. Could be reasonable to conclude that ISU should be able to at least get somewhat comparable results to what Iowa has had during the CPR era. You neglect to consider that a team like Iowa can completely avoid playing the B1G power teams thus skewing their results indicating greater success. And having 4 non-conference games. And a minimum of 7 home games.

IMO, if you want to include ISU in the bottom of the B1G, you need to really drop Iowa, and Northwestern, down a peg for sure. They should not be included in the same sentence with the better teams in the B1G. ISU would probably be on a par with Iowa and Northwestern. So include them with that grouping.
1340686217134.gif

PKT13

Jun 18, 2014
Who were the great teams that Iowa played in football in the 2002 season?

They played like only two rated teams the whole season.

I know it is common for Clone fans to go into places like the BIG house against the #8 team in the country and win convincingly, but it isn't as common for anyone else other than maybe OSU.

Iowa played 7 bowl teams that year, going 5-2. If Iowa is able to punch in a TD or 2 when they had it first and goal inside the 2 against USC, that game has a different feel as well with Iowa going into halftime up 11 instead of tied. But alas, the people that got to Ronnie Harmon also got to Brad Banks.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I know it is common for Clone fans to go into places like the BIG house against the #8 team in the country and win convincingly, but it isn't as common for anyone else other than maybe OSU.

Iowa played 7 bowl teams that year, going 5-2. If Iowa is able to punch in a TD or 2 when they had it first and goal inside the 2 against USC, that game has a different feel as well with Iowa going into halftime up 11 instead of tied. But alas, the people that got to Ronnie Harmon also got to Brad Banks.

So you're saying if Iowa would have been able to score a couple more touchdowns it would have been closer?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Do you realize that there is a difference between playing Top 25 teams and Bowl teams? BIG difference. Hell, a team with a .500 record makes a bowl. ISU played 9 Bowl teams in 2012 and that did not include your "elite" Hawkeyes who had a losing record that year.

Truth is that ISU is pretty comparable to Iowa season in and season out. I am not saying that ISU should be included in the "elite" of the B1G like you think Iowa should be. Truth is that Iowa is a middle of the pack B1G team that will benefit from an extremely weak schedule this coming year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron