Miller und Brinson: Canada Boy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
They are most definitely neutral...if anything, Miller is a Clone lean.

As far as womens basketball, Miller does not go out of his way to bash it, he will just state his opinion every time its brought up. Unfortunately, he is right. In-state rival between two ranked teams, and the attendance was only 11,500. I get that this would top just about any other rivalry out there in womens basketball, but it just goes to show that people are not near as passionate for womens basketball as they are for mens. When you host a radio show, it makes sense to cover things that people want to hear, not things that will make some turn their radio station.

I think for any other game I would grudgingly agree. But Iowa State v. Iowa when both teams are ranked? I really don't think it is out of line to give it one or two minutes. If you don't like WBB just say that it was a heck of a game and having two ranked teams in the state is good for the sport and move on. If you fear you are going to drive listeners away start off with I'm not going to talk a lot about it because I don't spend time following WBB, but...

I don't know how it was addressed but if it was brought up simply to dismiss it then they are doing it wrong. Not going to talk about it? Then don't talk about it at all; don't bring it up to dismiss it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I didn't catch whatever segment has the OP all upset, but I really doubt Miller brought it up. Brinson has a habit of bringing up things he thinks are important or would be good topics and getting shut down by Ken. I doubt Miller said anything worse about WBB than he says about early season NBA games when Jim gets going on that.

Yea I don't know if it's shtick at this point but that show could badly use some prep work out of those two most days

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
They are most definitely neutral...if anything, Miller is a Clone lean.

As far as womens basketball, Miller does not go out of his way to bash it, he will just state his opinion every time its brought up. Unfortunately, he is right. In-state rival between two ranked teams, and the attendance was only 11,500. I get that this would top just about any other rivalry out there in womens basketball, but it just goes to show that people are not near as passionate for womens basketball as they are for mens. When you host a radio show, it makes sense to cover things that people want to hear, not things that will make some turn their radio station.

That is a given... However, they were not "covering" the game. They did not dedicate a segment to it. Brinson just mentions the game and Miller bashes it. There is really no need to do that. All he has to say is something like... yeah they are both top 25 teams and it should be a good game and move on. Don't like WBB... big deal, don't care.
Guess what... ISU has a great WBB program and tradition... ISU fans make up half of your audience in DSM... You choose to work on sports radio in DSM... ISU WBB is part of the market... Don't be a jerk

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
I like Miller and am on his side when it comes to women's basketball. I have nothing against it or the people who enjoy it, but you'll never catch me pretending to get excited about women's basketball. Not even our own team.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I like Miller and am on his side when it comes to women's basketball. I have nothing against it or the people who enjoy it, but you'll never catch me pretending to get excited about women's basketball. Not even our own team.

Nobody is asking him to be excited. Just not to be a jerk and bash it if it happens to come up.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007

So ... You don't care ISU has a nationally recognized basketball program that elevates the profile of ISU every year? Really ? Wow!

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
I don't care that he doesn't like WBB, I am just tired of the overly rude comments he makes about it. Borderline sexist. He sounds like a complete d-bag when he talks about how much he hates the women's game. Like others have said, it's fine that he doesn't like it, he just needs to find another way of expressing it.

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
So ... You don't care ISU has a nationally recognized basketball program that elevates the profile of ISU every year? Really ? Wow!

Honestly, no. I'm happy for them that they're doing well, but I just don't like women's basketball. If it's not football, men's basketball and to a lesser extent wrestling, I don't pay attention. And I'd say I'm in the vast majority on this.

Again, I have nothing against people who do enjoy it or those playing, but I'm not going to pretend to care -- even if they are ranked nationally.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Honestly, no. I'm happy for them that they're doing well, but I just don't like women's basketball. If it's not football, men's basketball and to a lesser extent wrestling, I don't pay attention. And I'd say I'm in the vast majority on this.

Again, I have nothing against people who do enjoy it or those playing, but I'm not going to pretend to care -- even if they are ranked nationally.

Im in the same boat, kind of. I tracked the game last night, but I would never watch it. Same with Volleyball; ill keep a tab on the game threads here, but I wont ever watch it.

B.L.

Nov 28, 2006
He's not big on CPR either which I think comes from the show being broadcast in Iowa City so he has to bash ISU to gain listener's. Says he gets tired of CPRS vids. I think he's pretty cautious too because of his former partners antics ( the Mouth) if a caller calls him out he backs off right away. Always seems to be grumpy he has to do the show.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
He's not big on CPR either which I think comes from the show being broadcast in Iowa City so he has to bash ISU to gain listener's. Says he gets tired of CPRS vids. I think he's pretty cautious too because of his former partners antics ( the Mouth) if a caller calls him out he backs off right away. Always seems to be grumpy he has to do the show.

Agree with this 100%

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

The show is only broadcast in Iowa City during the Monday Evening QB segment...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

You cannot get the show 20 miles outside DSM how can they get it in Iowa City, besides by streaming?

I hate to say it but if you take off your ISU glasses he has good points on CPR and the vids.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Agree with this 100%

Also agree miller is a grumpy, negative, hawk fan. Love that people think he leans Iowa State. He says all the time on the show he likes the hawks. The only good thing about miller is his wisdom of the betting scene, and horse racing. I do like Brinson though, I love an outside perspective with the resume that he has. I choose to listen to kxno as much as possible because we desperately need local sports radio, so I support whoever is on it.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM

I am with you, I checked this morning looks like we won, always good to beat Iowa, God love our fans but we are one of about 5 fanbases that follow womens basketball.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Also agree miller is a grumpy, negative, hawk fan. Love that people think he leans Iowa State. He says all the time on the show he likes the hawks. The only good thing about miller is his wisdom of the betting scene, and horse racing. I do like Brinson though, I love an outside perspective with the resume that he has. I choose to listen to kxno as much as possible because we desperately need local sports radio, so I support whoever is on it.

lol, Miller has never said he likes the Hawks.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I am with you, I checked this morning looks like we won, always good to beat Iowa, God love our fans but we are one of about 5 fanbases that follow womens basketball.

Why did you check of you don't care?
It is absolutely ridiculous to say that you are an ISU fan but you don't CARE how good or bad the sports you don't care about are. That is really a **** poor attitude.
Me personally... I do not like wrestling. Do I cheer for them and want them win the national title year in and year out... ABSOLUTELY. Do I care if they are good or bad... ABSOLUTELY.
I HATE HATE HATE soccer at any level. Do I cheer for ISU soccer... ABSOLUTELY.
I am an ISU fan - I want ISU to succeed at everything they do... Not just my FAVORITE sports.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I know not all agree but my favorite radio hosts on KXNO in the decade or so I've been listening are Ken Miller and Jon Miller while he was on. Murph and Andy are ok depending on the subject and guest.

All four afternoon hosts do a great job of being professional and impartial where the clones/hawk rivalry is concerned, but the morning radio hosts have generally been a non stop train wreck of tavern hawk.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron