Millenials Defined

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
If all young kids have phones then stories like SnowCraig’s classic thread would not have happened.

Best advice I can give (as parent) is have their phones out of their rooms by certain time at night. They will argue they need the alarm, but a $7 purchase at Target or Wally World changes that. Like being out & about physically late at night, nothing good happens after midnight. Same thing goes online when group chats, stories. Snaps, Tweets, Vines, Memes, games, etc, etc is going on.

Reactions: khardbored

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Or it ends early, or you want to go to a friends house, or you want to stay after to work on a project, or you have a lab after class that you need to do but don't know how long it'll take. There were plenty of times in school when having a cell phone made it easy to plan things and schedule rides. Is it theoretically possible to figure it out the night before? Sure, but it's a lot more of a hassle.

And I'm not saying get your 8 year old a smartphone. But I don't really see an issue with a middle or high schooler having a phone

Are you offering to pay for all the phones my soon to be middle schooler would go through in that time period? I just don't think an 11 year old is responsible enough to take care of a phone.

This, however, is great. Covers everything being discussed in this thread without any of the negatives:

http://www.myfilip.com

If only they could keep them in stock. :(

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I thought a bit more last night why both sides of the X generation have trouble dealing with us. I think some of it is Independence is a character trait for us and we sometimes view the lack of it as a lack of courage. We also do not tend to be as team oriented which is both a strength/weakness. Loyalty and hard work are character traits, but on our own terms.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
sort of on topic, I always find the study of generations to be interesting - how world/national events shape the traits of a cohort. I think the Recession had a big impact on millennials (not sure if that was mentioned in the article?) because though my generation tends to not have a ton of money - they tend to save and be more risk averse than prior. I know I'm definitely that way with money. Started saving for retirement as soon as I got a FT job.

I'm sure then you're familiar with Strauss-Howe's theory and the 4 "turnings."

It gets a little conspiracy-y out there at times, but it's pretty interesting to read about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory#Turnings

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
  • Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
sort of on topic, I always find the study of generations to be interesting - how world/national events shape the traits of a cohort. I think the Recession had a big impact on millennials (not sure if that was mentioned in the article?) because though my generation tends to not have a ton of money - they tend to save and be more risk averse than prior. I know I'm definitely that way with money. Started saving for retirement as soon as I got a FT job.

I generally find the discussion of generations to be annoying. It's trying to fit (usually negative) stereotypes to a huge group of very diverse people. Maybe from a scientific side it would be interesting, but from a non-scientific side it just seems like a means to complain about people of other age groups.