Mike Zadick's long road to associate head wrestling coach at Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
So glad to have The Beard at Iowa State. What this guy did at Virginia Tech was outstanding. As someone who lived for several years in Montana, I have to agree that the mountains are a tough place to leave.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
I have found it interesting since the announcement came out. Everyone was saying Robie was the one who ran all the practices anyway so they would be in good shape. Now we are hearing that Zadick ran most the practices. Not that it matters all that much, but I wonder which is true.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I have found it interesting since the announcement came out. Everyone was saying Robie was the one who ran all the practices anyway so they would be in good shape. Now we are hearing that Zadick ran most the practices. Not that it matters all that much, but I wonder which is true.

Plus Dresser clearly is ready to hand off the day to day stuff to Zadick.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Nice article, he is certainly quite the character.

Love his attitude on working with the wrestlers. Doesn't care about name, accolades or size.

Hokiecyclone

Feb 18, 2017
They both have. Gotta remember Robie has been there from the start. Zadick only two years. Dresser himself has said he's been more of a CEO. There is a reason VT is keeping most if not all the kids they have on the team this year and the recruits. VT is in good shape and so is Iowa State. That's why i'm excited to cheer for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: HGoat and csteve

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Not a fan of wrestling but I am finding myself drawn to this new coaching staff. They are an intriguing bunch of characters. Anyone who had a 'falling out' with a Hawkeye is ok by me. Welcome to Cyclone Nation!

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
So glad to have The Beard at Iowa State. What this guy did at Virginia Tech was outstanding. As someone who lived for several years in Montana, I have to agree that the mountains are a tough place to leave.

I'm pretty taken with the eastern mountains, West Virginia and Virginny itself have got some nice hills. (I'm pretty fond of the New England mountains.) Maybe, though, if you're from Montana, the eastern stuff is just like mini-golf compared with an 18 hole course?

But, if you're a reincarnation of Jeremiah Johnson, maybe only the west will do?

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I'm pretty taken with the eastern mountains, West Virginia and Virginny itself have got some nice hills. (I'm pretty fond of the New England mountains.) Maybe, though, if you're from Montana, the eastern stuff is just like mini-golf compared with an 18 hole course?

But, if you're a reincarnation of Jeremiah Johnson, maybe only the west will do?

I've been through the Appalachian and Smokey Mts and they're beautiful, but to me there's nothing like the Northern Rockies. The people reminded me of Iowans, in that, they would go out of their way to help a neighbor if he needed it, knowing he wouldn't ask for it.

• Agree
Reactions: isuclone89