Michigan Writers Take on Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah, I know people like to say Iowa just gets lucky, but some of it is legit hard work by the defense. I do think Iowa catches a ton of breaks overall, but I also give their defense proper respect.

But I do sometimes question if God as HAWKEYES tattooed on his belly.

Every time I turn their game on just seems like the other team is gifting them turnovers. Obviously takes being in the right place and hard work but still...

Reactions: exCYtable

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Every time I turn their game on just seems like the other team is gifting them turnovers. Obviously takes being in the right place and hard work but still...

From what I've seen Iowa tends to be very disruptive up front which can throw everything else off.

It's something I wish ISU were better at and what keeps them from turning teams over.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and GoHawks

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
How many of those teams were near the Top 5, by season end?Legitimately, don’t know and curious.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
McNamara is out with an injury. Mccarthy was already picked as starter so that's who we would get regardless but if he struggles they won't be able to have the quick hook.
Yeah, IMO the McNamara angle hasn't gotten enough attention.

Having him healthy was a luxury. If McCarthy struggled you'd have him ready to go. Now it's all on McCarthy. And he's a young, relatively inexperienced QB who'll be in a hostile environment.

Add in the fact that Harbaugh has been limiting McCarthy running the ball with no McNamara, and you have a scenario that plays right into Iowa's hands.

I honestly won't be surprised if Iowa makes this close or springs the upset. I'm not going to outright predict it, but I think Michigan's kind of overrated at this point, so...

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
This may be one of those games where the hoks time of possession is around 15 minutes and the defense gets gassed. Michigan 31, hoks 3.

Oh and the boo birds start up early and often even before it’s time to wave to the sick kids.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, IMO the McNamara angle hasn't gotten enough attention.

Having him healthy was a luxury. If McCarthy struggled you'd have him ready to go. Now it's all on McCarthy. And he's a young, relatively inexperienced QB who'll be in a hostile environment.

Add in the fact that Harbaugh has been limiting McCarthy running the ball with no McNamara, and you have a scenario that plays right into Iowa's hands.

I honestly won't be surprised if Iowa makes this close or springs the upset. I'm not going to outright predict it, but I think Michigan's kind of overrated at this point, so...
I almost think McNamara would be better option just for this game but they aren't pitchers they don't decide them by matchups in football. McNamara seems less talented but less likely to make mistakes. For Iowa to win McCarthy needs to make mistakes and even still we need to stymie the run game. I can't see it. There's just no margin with this offense

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
The 11am kick time always seems to benefit the visiting team, and I think it will in this case too.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Yeah, I know people like to say Iowa just gets lucky, but some of it is legit hard work by the defense. I do think Iowa catches a ton of breaks overall, but I also give their defense proper respect.

But I do sometimes question if God as HAWKEYES tattooed on his belly.
More likely it's the red guy with horns that has that tattoo on his belly.

• Agree
Reactions: Ayagi and BCClone

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The only way iowa wins is if Michigan gets impatient and makes a bunch of mistakes. A young ISU team was patient enough to move the ball on them. They made mistakes, but most were so far on the other end of the field that iowa couldn't make them pay for it.

Michigan absolutely cannot get into a field position battle with iowa's punter. But as long as they can pick up a couple of first downs every drive (like ISU did), they can eventually drive the field some and score. That iowa offense is horrible and as long as you're not giving them short fields, they aren't a threat.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
From what I've seen Iowa tends to be very disruptive up front which can throw everything else off.

It's something I wish ISU were better at and what keeps them from turning teams over.

Very true, but I turn it on and see a Rutgers player get a routine tackle and not only does he cough it up its right into the heads of Iowa for a TD. If it was ISU, they would have recovered their own fumble for another 50 yard game or something haha.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Yes, really.
First road start in 'historic' kinnick stadium, against an 'elite' hok defense-- and Hunter walks out as the winning QB. I love it.
Because Iowa didn't play a clean game either. If Iowa did like they did last year, they probably win by double digits again. Iowa is going to need McCarthy to have a similar statline to Dekkers while also playing a lot better to beat Michigan.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I see it more like the 2016 (?) game. A so-so Iowa team, a highly rated but really untested Michigan team, and Harbaugh gets weird.

Yep and just like when Iowa boat raced tOSU, these super talented teams tend to get too greedy on offense which plays right into Iowa's hands. If Michigan keeps it simple and just dinks and dunks they will roll.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm sorry I'm distracted by 5 key ways intimacy changes for older men.