Michigan Writers Take on Iowa

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
McCarthy is not going up against the '85 Bears. Dekkers did OK at kinnick in his first career road start.

really? 25/38 for 184 yards 1 td and 2 picks is what you call ok?

Only when compared to a Petras statline would that game be considered ok.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
really? 25/38 for 184 yards 1 td and 2 picks is what you call ok?

Only when compared to a Petras statline would that game be considered ok.
Yes, really.
First road start in 'historic' kinnick stadium, against an 'elite' hok defense-- and Hunter walks out as the winning QB. I love it.

Reactions: Mads4st8

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
They aren’t going to be good on offense. They are probably going to go three and out a lot. The one thing Petras can do is throw a bomb. Not with touch or accuracy, but what the hell. You connect on 2 out of 12 deep balls or get a PI and they might actually score.

Their approach just makes no sense. Voluntarily play offense the way you are trying to force the opponent to play because it is hard.
Petras and the wr's even connecting on that aside when we've tried to throw down field particularly on play action we haven't blocked well enough to give then any time. We're susceptible to a strip sack would be my worry. I agree though a different approach is needed. When we played Nevada we ran this formation called shotgun on 1st and 10 which was kind of refreshing. I think more of that would be nice even if you run out of it and zone block less

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You'd be thrillled if McCarthy walks off as the winning QB?
I to am an Petras fan, your to dumb too recognize there ability too grow QBs. Petras four Heisman!

I'll be thrilled if the D does its job, holds McCarthy to a pretty blah stat line, and allows only 10 points. Congrats on the W but the defense didn't lose Iowa that game. Lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Yes, really.
First road start in 'historic' kinnick stadium, against an 'elite' hok defense-- and Hunter walks out as the winning QB. I love it.
He certainly did made them look elite but he did get the win we agree on that

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Just watch Iowa win.

I think Williams is right that this game is either a blowout or an outright Iowa win.

I get the stat about top 5 teams coming into Kinnick, but while those past Iowa offenses weren't amazing, they also weren't literally the worst offense in the country.

Quite frankly, I'm at the point now that I kind of need Iowa to get their ass kicked as much as possible so there is some kind of real change this offseason. I mention that because I may be letting my desires cloud my judgment but I just don't see how this team competes with anyone even semi capable of playing both defense and offense.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Just watch Iowa win.
I to am an Petras fan, your to dumb too recognize there ability too grow QBs. Petras four Heisman!

Short of some cosmic defensive implosion on Michigan's part, ain't happening. This is the most limp excuse for an offense I've ever seen fielded by the Iowa program. And that's a status it's achieved against defenses that are nowhere near as good as Michigan's. I totally get that, most years, this is the type of game that an underwhelming Iowa team comes in and just blows the doors off the place in a W against a top-5 team, before moving on to the following week and reverting back to its pathetic self. But with this QB and this offense, there's just no way.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
When it counted, the vaunted hok defense gave up a 99 yard drive, with 5 third down conversions. To a kid in his second career start. Now that's thriling. LOL.

Congrats, it was a nice W for you.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Short of some cosmic defensive implosion on Michigan's part, ain't happening. This is the most limp excuse for an offense I've ever seen fielded by the Iowa program. And that's a status it's achieved against defenses that are nowhere near as good as Michigan's. I totally get that, most years, this is the type of game that an underwhelming Iowa team comes in and just blows the doors off the place in a W against a top-5 team, before moving on to the following week and reverting back to its pathetic self. But with this QB and this offense, there's just no way.

I see it more like the 2016 (?) game. A so-so Iowa team, a highly rated but really untested Michigan team, and Harbaugh gets weird.

Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I see it more like the 2016 (?) game. A so-so Iowa team, a highly rated but really untested Michigan team, and Harbaugh gets weird.
Difference in that game and Big Ten championship was the run defense. They got nothing in that game whereas championship game they were able to hit some runs then that opened up rest of their offense. Stopping the run is the key.