Michigan Writers Take on Iowa

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You know he was an Iowa fan growing up, but Kirk blew him off during recruiting so he went to ISU.
At the time he already had Deuce Hogan committed who was rated way higher. Obviously Deuce didn't work out, but I also have my reservations whether Dekkers would have worked out either because of our track record developing QBs. I would say the same about Zach Wilson. No idea how good he would have been with Iowa.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
At the time he already had Deuce Hogan committed who was rated way higher. Obviously Deuce didn't work out, but I also have my reservations whether Dekkers would have worked out either because of our track record developing QBs. I would say the same about Zach Wilson. No idea how good he would have been with Iowa.
We would never know if Dekkers would work out because he too would be languishing behind Petras as well.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But to not even pay him a visit until he gets mad. Then when you do go to Nebraska, you finally decide that sending like the assistant receivers coach would be fine is dumber yet. He was rated a 4 star and in state. No effort at all.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Most of us could tell you how good he would have been at Iowa.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
But to not even pay him a visit until he gets mad. Then when you do go to Nebraska, you finally decide that sending like the assistant receivers coach would be fine is dumber yet. He was rated a 4 star and in state. No effort at all.
They already got their QB way before he was rated a four star. They probably told Deuce they were done recruiting QBs when he committed. Recruiting and player development is an inexact science. You win some, you lose some.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Definitely agree on the upside. I read on the Michigan boards McCarthy has thrown some balls into coverage and Bern lucky to of not turned it over. I haven't seen a ton because most games were blowouts by middle of 2nd quarter.
Just one against Maryland. The concern was that stuff in practice but he’s been almost a little to conservative a lot of the time. Michigan has a blog that charts his throws and he has been incredibly accurate mostly. He missed a few deep throws against Maryland that if he hits, changes how everyone views his performance.

Sep 10, 2015
With the benefit of hindsight it definitely looks like a mistake to have not recruited Dekkers. As stated in another post, recruiting is an inexact science and you can’t expect to get it right every time and this time they definitely didn’t.

I wish they could have taken both Dekkers and Deuce Hogan but I’ve seen KF interviewed on QB recruiting (I think the question was about why not take both Petras and Zach Wilson) and he basically said it’s hard to take 2 QBs in the same class. In most cases one of the QBs won’t stay committed if you try to take 2, it’s just the way it is.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Would you take a stat line of 25/38, 184 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs from Dekkers every game moving forward? How many games do you think ISU wins with that line? That’s his point, most teams lose with that kind of qb play.

It was good enough Sept. 10th. You have no offense other than your punter. Take the loss and shut the f*ck up you hoser.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With the benefit of hindsight it definitely looks like a mistake to have not recruited Dekkers. As stated in another post, recruiting is an inexact science and you can’t expect to get it right every time and this time they definitely didn’t.

I wish they could have taken both Dekkers and Deuce Hogan but I’ve seen KF interviewed on QB recruiting (I think the question was about why not take both Petras and Zach Wilson) and he basically said it’s hard to take 2 QBs in the same class. In most cases one of the QBs won’t stay committed if you try to take 2, it’s just the way it is.
Now Kirk saying that is a total crock of sheet. Remember just a few years ago how he bragged about recruiting QBs because they are smart and he would just move them to a different position? Yeah that was kirks big recruiting thing, always taking lots of QBs. Now he wants you to believe he can only take one. More like he’s told to pee off by the others and is trying to cover his arse.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Not sure where to post for this game, arghhh.

That's the perfect type of drive to beat Iowa. Methodical 5-6 yards per play with a few 10-15 yarders. Their o-line is getting a lot of push already too. 7-0 Big Blue!

Reactions: keepngoal

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Not sure where to post for this game, arghhh.

That's the perfect type of drive to beat Iowa. Methodical 5-6 yards per play with a few 10-15 yarders. Their o-line is getting a lot of push already too. 7-0 Big Blue!
Putting that third down on Petras shoulders... that was idiotic.

Michigan drives was marvelous.